TNT confirms (rather old) database hack - password reset is coming?

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Kantark

TNT confirms (rather old) database hack - password reset is coming?

Post by Kantark »

In case anyone here is not reading new features much these days:

TNT wrote:In order to be transparent with our players and fans, we want to inform you of recent reports that have come to our attention regarding an alleged data breach to our Neopets' account database in which a large amount of information from player accounts may have been leaked to third parties. To be clear, this is specific to the Usernames, Passwords, Email Addresses, Birthdates, and Countries tied to player accounts. It does NOT include credit card or payment information.

While we know news like this might be frustrating to our players to learn, we would like to assure all that this breach in security is linked to an incident that occurred in 2012, prior to JumpStart's acquisition of Neopets. In fact, account security has been elevated since Neopets joined the JumpStart family of games. After further investigation and some quick actions by our team, it is becoming clear that a number of the affected accounts are, in fact, inactive and in some cases have already been completely purged from our system.

Although, the impact of this database hack is limited to this single incident, we want all our players to know the facts surrounding these reports and also hope to encourage active players to take the necessary measures toward keeping their accounts secure. On our end, we plan to implement a password reset for all affected players (more info to come).

We appreciate your understanding and patience at this time and invite you to reach out to us through our normal support channels with any questions or concerns you might have regarding this incident or the security of your account. As a quick reminder to avoid facing any further account access related issues in the future, we recommend that you to never share account information to any parties beside TNT and that you keep your account information up to date, resetting your password regularly. Thank you.

It might be a good idea to make sure you still have access to the email address and know the birthday of your accounts, in case passwords are reset in the future!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Re: TNT confirms (rather old) database hack - password reset is coming?

Post by Jazzy »

Hmm, interesting. I'm fairly sure they still store their passwords in plaintext, which doesn't help matters.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Jazzy wrote:Hmm, interesting. I'm fairly sure they still store their passwords in plaintext, which doesn't help matters.
Yes. They sent mine in plaintext. Has anyone had a problem updating emails? Like the request not sending to the new address?
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

They're still not reaching my email with my password requests, although the ads were still getting through fine so I know it's still on file... So they're still having problems.
Image Image
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

...Wow, what depressing priorities TNT has. I'm so sorry Ty. Maybe it was just dumb luck for me.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy