Possible Scam?

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Obaba

Possible Scam?

Post by Obaba »

I received a neomail from some flounder in reference to a painted pet I adopted a while back. They claim they were transferring them when a pound sitter got him.

Now since I believe the policy is pounding is a risk you take, is still the case, the pet is older than the users account, and at level 13 where the other pet they have is level 1.

The other confusing point is they provided "screencaps" with only the pets name as reference as a Female Desert Scorchio and the pet is presently a Speckled Araca. Black text on white background is easy to shop.

So the question is does anyone know of this scam going around?
If the user was more active, I'd say sure, but someone else worked on this pet, and it most certainly I don't think it was this user.

Advice? Report it? Even if it isn't a scam, it could be a really messed up way to get free painted pets.
checkers

Post by checkers »

To me it sounds like a scam, but I'm not sure, plus anyway even if they are telling the truth you have no way of giving them the pet since the pound is/has been down for a very long time. Could you provide us with the URL's of these screenshots please?

Edit:
After seeing the screenshots, I'm pretty sure it's a scam, they haven't included anything put text and images, so someone can easily edit what another pet said/did on something as simple as paint with the word tool, and the really bad lining around the box on the second one doesn't seem real..to me it's fishy.

If it has taken them a while to get in contact, they couldn't have been transfering (I'm assuming a few months without contact? since the pounds been down) or they don't want the pet.

D: I think you should keep the pet.
Last edited by checkers on 16 Sep 2007 09:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obaba

Pics

Post by Obaba »

http://i15.tinypic.com/6fzio06.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/549rdyw.jpg

Gives the pets name as well, but do petpets go with pets into the pound?
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Yes, petpets follow the pet.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

If they had really wanted the pet, they would have neomailed soon after you adopted it, presuming that there was a transfer which had gone wrong. The screencaps prove nothing, really- they could be genuine but still no evidence, because the person might have thrown the pet in the pound deliberately, considering the amount of time which has passed.

If I was in that situation, I would reply saying that such a long time has passed that it is really too late for them to claim ownership and that the pound is a risk they must have taken for that pet to not be on their account any more.

It does seem odd to target a speckled acara for a scam, because it would not typically considered very "valuable" compared to, say, a faerie pet. Have you looked at the petpet's age? Does it fit in with the person's story?
Neopets wishlists: here
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

I would ask them exactly when they lost the pet, and if they reply with any date since April, you'll know that they're not telling the truth since the Pound hasn't worked since then.

Even if you want to give the pet back, you can't - it's currently impossible to adopt any pets out of the Pound, though you can disown.
Obaba

Post by Obaba »

Presently the account is almost 2 years old. The pet the inquiring about is over that by a half a year. The account has had little to no activity since created. The pet the currently have has had nothing done to it at all. The have never participated in events to get trophies. They don't have a shop and I find it hard to believe mostly due to that. They haven't but any effort into the one bet they have or the account at all. How could they have a Desert Sccorchio if they never put the effort into creating one?

There is a part of me that wants to go, "Aww that's so sad! ;-;", but I play these petgames because I am bitter and skeptical about everything else.
The small chance he adopted a Desert Scorchio older than his account is possible. I did adopt the Acara while it was sick and in a bad state, and even if it seems odd to target me for a Speckled Acara, it's still a painted pet. The other painted pet I have is an Invisible Quiggle, and it's far less interesting.
Hello. ^^;

Excuse me. (: I don't know if you realized, or if you have adopted him,
but Kippzi, your speckled Acara, is and was mine. I was transferring
him, and a pound sitter got him. I do have screenie proof, in which he
was originally a 'her' and a Desert Scorchio. x.o.

http://i15.neopets.com/6fzio06.jpg

http://i17.neopets.com/549rdyw.jpg

I realize this may come as a shock for you, and I'm sorry. But I really really want my Kippzi back.

for the links, replace neopets.com with tinypic.com
It looks like a "Painted Pet With No Effort", scam. But I haven't received any word about it. I'm so much a cynic.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

Obaba wrote:
Hello. ^^;

Excuse me. (: I don't know if you realized, or if you have adopted him,
but Kippzi, your speckled Acara, is and was mine. I was transferring
him, and a pound sitter got him. I do have screenie proof, in which he
was originally a 'her' and a Desert Scorchio. x.o.

http://i15.neopets.com/6fzio06.jpg

http://i17.neopets.com/549rdyw.jpg

I realize this may come as a shock for you, and I'm sorry. But I really really want my Kippzi back.

for the links, replace neopets.com with tinypic.com
It looks like a "Painted Pet With No Effort", scam. But I haven't received any word about it. I'm so much a cynic.
Well, the fact that they say "is and was mine" is wrong- the pet isn't theirs. As for the amount of activity, it could easily be a side account... but why would they mail from it? I suppose if they wanted to adopt on that account, but they can't right now anyway. The fact that they've left it since April to ask for the pet back is just daft. If they don't stop bothering you, block them or report them, because they can't expect you to give the pet to them. They can ask nicely, but no more than that. The only time you can be in the wrong when you've adopted a pet (without using a pound grabbing program) and don't give it back is when you have agreed with the original owner to do so, say for an avatar lending. Otherwise, you're entitled to keep the pet.
Neopets wishlists: here
Fury

Post by Fury »

Unless he/she starts to harrass you, you can't report him/her for asking for your pet politely. After all, it may have once been theirs.

It is rightfully YOURS now though, and you have every right to keep it forever. Once a pet is put in the pound, it is free game and ANYONE can get it. The previous owner has no right to demand it back, although some people may give the pet back out of kindness.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Heh. The pet is soooo yours. Even if it had been theirs in the first place and they're not running some kind of weak scam, there's no excuse for waiting this long.
Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Honestly, I'm all for giving people's pets back -- but not when they (supposedly) abandoned the pet in April and then didn't Neomail about it until September. That's just dumb. I'd ignore them.
Obaba

Post by Obaba »

Before I could answer, I got another mail about it.
I had pounded I Buzz after I came back to playing one time to transfer it. Someone snatched it up due to a typo, (remember everyone, know how to spell your pets names). I never bothered the owner except to say take good care of him.

I had to state that in the mail back and hopefully some questions get answered.

And the pet wasn't pounded April. I picked it up in the pound last year.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

o_O last year, and only now they are asking for it? Yea, sorry, no, its yours now. :|
Image Image
ImageImage
Nectaris

Post by Nectaris »

Whatever the person's intentions were, they took the risk of putting the pet in the pound. Even if this isn't a scam, the pet is yours and no matter when you got it, they no longer have any right to the pet.