My *gosh*, I actually *drew* something on the computer! o-o

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
rottweilerchika

My *gosh*, I actually *drew* something on the computer! o-o

Post by rottweilerchika »

Uh... it's my siggy and avatar set. XD. Not too much crit, please- I did it by mouse and.... uh... I have no mouse control. o-o I should have put lines in on a second layer for Rayneance's head... xD.
i suck a lot okay
Yfandes

Post by Yfandes »

Unicorns rule everything ^_^

I think the shading on the face is very good in particular for a first try!
Don't want to be critical :P

Only digital thing i ever did was some pixel art on paint. It was an avatar for another forum (Shur'tugal) It took me SO long...*never again*
I didn't draw the line with the mouse though so all the more credit to you...here it is incase you were wondering (i doubt it)

My first digital "art" *shudder*
8): Laura
Current Aim: 4months+ side account to transfer pets *wills time to go faster*
rottweilerchika

No, actually, the sad thing is? It's not even my first try. xDD. It's just bad. XD. I'mma take an older, better, hand drawn picture of Rayneance and put it there... it would be... uh... better. o-o This is just going to get embarrassing. XD.

*does not have a tablet yet*
i suck a lot okay
Fish

Post by Fish »

I like it =) Especially the ears. I can't draw things without lines for the life of me.

But tablets are god =) I hope you can get one! EBay all the way, mine was all of fifty dollars, it's enormous, and it works well.
<B>highly</b>FLAMMABLE<I>animal</i>
<a href="http://subeta.org/userinfo.php?user=158800">See: Feezl</a>
rottweilerchika

Heh heh, I was supposed to get one for graduation, but my sister's a horrible procrastinator and was probably drunk as hell when she asked me what I wanted for graduation >>;; I'll prolly get a 4x5 Graphire. They're $100 but the bundled software is SO worth it. XD.
i suck a lot okay
Rivka

Post by Rivka »

rottweilerchika wrote:Heh heh, I was supposed to get one for graduation, but my sister's a horrible procrastinator and was probably drunk as hell when she asked me what I wanted for graduation >>;; I'll prolly get a 4x5 Graphire. They're $100 but the bundled software is SO worth it. XD.
I believe the 4x5 Graphire is what I have =D And yes, the software is snazzy. I used the photoshop elements that came with it until my boyfriend gave me photoshop 7 (which was shiney and had some prettier options so I used that instead xD). And the painter program that comes with it is pretty fun too. ^^;;
rottweilerchika

I've got some cheapo software thing right now that does everything but grass. XD. It was free, and has an animation program (which I have no clue as to how to use), so it's all good. XD. I'll buy Animation shop after Fair- I'm showing my horse this year so I'll have plenty of monies :P
i suck a lot okay
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

I like it a lot :) Neat choice of font too. I'm still stuck with mouse as well so I know too well how annoying it is to attempt anything with it. I really hope to get a tablet one of these days
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
rottweilerchika

It'd be far easier to control if it didn't have all this sticky crap on the inside of it. My sister decided to keep a soda by it and when the cat knocked it over, I had to rewire the damn thing. X-x Stupid brokeness. xD.
i suck a lot okay
chickvw

Post by chickvw »

I really like the shading you did on that! My pixel art is always more choppy on the shading,though I haven't done any for ages, since I have my Wacom now..... that software with it is good? If I still knew where mine was, I'd offer to send it to one of y'all. I have the Adobe Creative Suite CS2, the Macromedia Suite, and some other hodge-podge, so I didn't need any of that stuff.

The only suggestion I can think of is maybe making the outline a bit thicker.. sometimes if it's more than a pixel thick, it helps hide and "smooth" it a bit *shrug* that's just a matter of personal preference mostly. I'd show some of my first "pixel art", if I could find the floppies they're on. I did MS Paint pixel art back in... '96 or so on our '94 Packard Hell. >.< If I manage to find it, I'll post it to be mocked.
Image Image
Thank you MM for the Woobles!
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

rottweilerchika wrote: *does not have a tablet yet*
You don't need one.
I do all my art with JUST a mouse. And Im left handed using a right handed mouse. And it didn't take me all that long to get good control of it either. But if I don't do any art for a couple of weeks, I do have to go back and re-adjust to things. Practise is all you need.
By all means get a tablet if you wish, but people shouldn't be led to think that good art is only possible with a tablet, thats bullshit. Theres very little you can do on a tablet that you can't do with a mouse. Tablets sometimes make things like fur effects a little easier, but they are by no means a necessity to digital art.
I always feel I have to say this when people go on about how they 'only have a mouse'. Its like WTF?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

zebru wrote:I like it a lot :) Neat choice of font too. I'm still stuck with mouse as well so I know too well how annoying it is to attempt anything with it. I really hope to get a tablet one of these days
Um.....no? Where do people get this idea that in order to do anything even remotely good then you must own a tablet? Its just NOT TRUE. Maybe the tablet companies are putting this out there to boost sales or something but trust me, if I can master using a mouse, anyone can. And it isn't hard and it doesn't take long.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Ziggy's right. Although I don't claim to be an excellent digital artist I use a mouse and come out with eprfectly reasonable things. I had a tablet and didn't like it, so i went back to using a mouse.

Mouse love.
rottweilerchika

I *can* draw well with a mouse, I just like my hand drawn stuff better xD. I won't abandon mouse art completely- but the mouse I've got now? Sucks. It sticks, and when it finally decides to move across the screen, I have to erase a 1400px line across my screen. >o. The humidity's a real bitch, too. xD. I'll strum up something later with more defined, clear lines. Honest. xD.

And I do agree with Ziggy- it's not really neccessary. I've seen FREAKING AWESOME pictures done with a mouse, and have done some pretty cool looking images myself. I've been drawing with my mouse for two years- it's only been testy lately because of the reason I stated in my last post. x3. I'm getting a new one, truuust me. xD. I've used a tablet before, know what they work like.

So for me? Kinda balanced. With a well-working mouse, I can do better stuff. Far better stuff. I like the control it offers. With a tablet, I can add in little hairy details that I can't quite get with the mouse.

I just hate the mouse I have right now. o-x
i suck a lot okay
Anza

Post by Anza »

hmm... Ziggy is right. I much prefer my tablet to my mouse, but that's a matter of personal preferance, and it didn't make my art any better.

Although it DID make it a whole lot faster to do...