Pose Help! EEP!

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Hoofs

Pose Help! EEP!

Post by Hoofs »

Ok so Im working on my a drawing or what will most likely be a drawing of Marispy my fire uni or Reo my white uni depends on who I feel it most reflects. However, her pose is KILLING me... Its those hind legs I cant seem to position them right. The black is the original position and the red and blue are proposed positions. I'm also open to anymore critisims you guys might have, seeing as my other uni drawing improved ten fold after ya'll helped. On and on a side note I know her front legs arent right they are just roughly sketched they will come out better when I do the actual line art.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I'd recommend looking through Google--do an image search for bucking + horse and examine the photos that come up.
Image Image
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

The hind legs are what drew me first. A horses leg would never jut out so straight and horizontally from behind them, at least not with the 'knee' bent as you have it. Its so hard to explain so I agree with ty, look up a reference pic and copy the legs on that.
jeti

Post by jeti »

Have you considered bending the knees more?

Bucking-type pose, that... I agree with Ziggy, knee is too straight.
PharaonicQuiche

Post by PharaonicQuiche »

You wouldn't necessarily have to bend that hock joint part so long as the stifle area was straightened out and alignment lowered a smidgeon maybe. The way the stifle-joint-part-region.. area.. is bent sharply looks like the lil lad (or lassie) is bucking with the hind legs bent. Sort of just bucking with a little less extension or on the way/returning from the full leg extension.

Other randomly close images?
http://www.milescitystar.com/b-horse.jpg
http://www.silverspursrodeo.com/media/B ... se%203.jpg

When a horse kicks his leg out nearly entirely straight, that joint up there flattens out with the leg. A bit of extra skin between the leg and barrel stretches with it. *motions aimlessly at images* Also, the head might be drawn up more to counter-balance the weight with the legs way out.. but I'm not entirely sure about on that one.

That's definitely a tricky pose, though. Might just be easier to bend them under like jeti illustrated. It looks like it'll be awesome, though. Moveeeement.