Cheap PBs and good colo(u)rs?

General help with pet/account decisions, galleries, CSS/HTML and so on.
galacticMel

Cheap PBs and good colo(u)rs?

Post by galacticMel »

In your opinion, what are some of the most afforable brushes with the best assortment of pet colours? I quit Neo for a long time and just got back into it... but all the brushes have skyrocketed in price. I have about 800k and would like to change atleast one of my pets' colors. They've been a Plushie Kacheek and Brown Uni for over a year. I am willing to morph them, so it's not species specific, I just was wondering what a regular player can afford these days...

Thanks!
Dear Neopets God,
Please make the Mutant Gelert look like the three-headed dog of the underworld, Cerberus. There may be a fruit basket in it for you.

Maybe. -_O

Love,
Mel
EofS

Post by EofS »

I'd say it partly depends what sorts of colours you're into - do you like things girly girly, or natural looking, or tough and mean, or comical or... Also it depends whether you like pets with lots of accessories (desert, Christmas... I don't think any other accessory colour is cheap right now) or whether you're more into the colourfill type colours (brown, white etc) or maybe the pattern ones (disco, checkered, striped) or... anything else. How important is the interaction of appearance and personality, for example? I adore disco kacheeks, but I wouldn't necessarily suggest one if you've got an emo pet and like paintjobs to match personalities.

I'm afraid I'm not too up to date on pb prices though - I've not painted a pet in a couple of years or more! Ghost's pretty cheap at the moment thanks to a plot last year, Hallowe'en might still be down... Pink is horrendous, as are plushie, royal, pirate, island... baby's at 600k in the hidden tower still? 800k? I forget.

You could use our own site's colour 'database' (not technically a database) to look things over of course, but unfortunately as of yet we've still got the old art so it won't necessarily be representative of the pets you'll actually be able to obtain ;0) But colourfills haven't changed too drastically (sketch aside and a few other oddities here and there) so you could still get the basic idea.

But just to give you a couple to start with, I'd say white pets are often very nice, and whilst a lot of spotted pets are dreadfully boring, the ones which are 'natural' patterned are often very nice looking. Christmas is definitely worth a look now that you can remove bits of clothing/holly/bells etc if you're not interested in them but do like the colour underneath - I'm not sure, but I think a Christmas kougra stripped of all clothes would actually look nicer than a white kougra, and probably be cheaper to boot ;0)
galacticMel

Post by galacticMel »

EofS wrote:I'd say it partly depends what sorts of colours you're into - do you like things girly girly, or natural looking, or tough and mean, or comical or...
Well, I am kind of bored, so I am thinking of "starting over" - new color and maybe a new personality. Right now my Plushie Kacheek is a germaphobe. My Uni, Trendiest, is Brown. She's a little prissy and because of her name I'll probably keep the personality for her. I am thinking Baby. I'd be willing to morph, but I can't think of another good pet species to go with her name.

EofS wrote:You could use our own site's colour 'database' (not technically a database) to look things over of course, but unfortunately as of yet we've still got the old art so it won't necessarily be representative of the pets you'll actually be able to obtain ;0) But colourfills haven't changed too drastically (sketch aside and a few other oddities here and there) so you could still get the basic idea.
Yeah, and the pound isn't working so I can browse to see the pets new poses. Not only that, but NO pet picture is loading for me AT ALL except for the little 80x80 pictures on the lookup.

My pets names are frasperating and Trendiest. (Frasperating sounds like 'evaporating' so maybe a Cloud Jubjub?)
Dear Neopets God,
Please make the Mutant Gelert look like the three-headed dog of the underworld, Cerberus. There may be a fruit basket in it for you.

Maybe. -_O

Love,
Mel
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

None of the colors really stand out to me right now, so I'm afraid I wouldn't be of much help with recommending specific colors.

I will say that several paint brush prices have sunk since the revamp: Ghost PBs are buyable, now (when before they were going for as much as Christmas PBs), Spotted and Rainbow PBs have dropped by about 100k, and even the Tyrannian PB is a bit cheaper. Faerie PBs are finally back to costing under two million, and are closer to the Dariban PB price.

If it were me, I'd look for the cheaper PBs that come with clothes I'm interested in, paint the pet that, then find a cheap base color that I was happy with for maximum "customization."
EofS

Post by EofS »

galacticMel wrote:Yeah, and the pound isn't working so I can browse to see the pets new poses. Not only that, but NO pet picture is loading for me AT ALL except for the little 80x80 pictures on the lookup.
There are a couple of petpages out there displaying all the new pets - <a href="http://www.neopets.com/~shieboo">by colour</a> or <a href="http://www.neopets.com/~Jauzlin">by species</a>. Might want to make a cup of tea whilst you wait for them to load mind you ;0) I personally think the second is better laid out, but it's no use if you want to browse by colour. The by colour one was actually created to compare old to new poses which makes it less ideal for trying to choose new pets unfortunately.
galacticMel

Post by galacticMel »

EofS wrote:
galacticMel wrote:Yeah, and the pound isn't working so I can browse to see the pets new poses. Not only that, but NO pet picture is loading for me AT ALL except for the little 80x80 pictures on the lookup.
There are a couple of petpages out there displaying all the new pets - <a href="http://www.neopets.com/~shieboo">by colour</a> or <a href="http://www.neopets.com/~Jauzlin">by species</a>. Might want to make a cup of tea whilst you wait for them to load mind you ;0) I personally think the second is better laid out, but it's no use if you want to browse by colour. The by colour one was actually created to compare old to new poses which makes it less ideal for trying to choose new pets unfortunately.
I checked out the second link you mentioned and GOOD LORD! They have made the baby pets even worse. The Baby Kougra is just... ugh. And they're so small! (I do like the baby Gelert, tho...)
Dear Neopets God,

Maybe. -_O

Love,
Mel
Danish

Post by Danish »

If you want to know how much each of the paint brushes cost then you can visit The Paint Brush Library. Link in my siggy.
I just updated the prices so they're reasonably accurate but fluctuate somewhat from day to day.
Helmcargh

Post by Helmcargh »

I think Shadow is a pretty and cheap colourfill (about 300k). The shadow Uni is especially nice as it has a purple horn.