Chai and Dragon revamp (+ staff discussion)

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Sayle

Post by Sayle »

Chimaera's some sort of administrator, I think; I'm pretty sure she'd have that ability.

Normal artists don't have the ability to lock threads.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

I just looked at it, and there isn't an indication as to why it's been locked. As to why I think it might've been locked - I read the last page or so and it was disintegrating into quarreling between two or three users, so it may have been locked for the moment to see if the people posting won't cool off -- or it may have been locked for good.

No way to tell.

Except time. I forgot, time will alway tell. :P

*smites typos*
Last edited by Kamil on 10 Jun 2007 06:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I'm really hoping the artists and staff will be smart about this and revamp the Magnus soon The rest I think are reasonably different, but the Magnus and the Dragon are now too similar.

I think a stoney looking Magnus in a more traditional gargoyle pose would be nice, since it is supposed to be a gargoyle. Not an actual spout, but a stern, sitting at attention type pose. But then maybe we'd have two sets of irritated dragon fans. :P

At anyrate, the chai is adorable, the dragon I don't care for any more than before (as mentioned, Chimaera's style is nice, but not suited for reptiles, IMO), and I'll be happily fiddling with my human avatar and not worrying about pets while watching Subeta staff try to dig itself out of this hole.
Sarivonne

Post by Sarivonne »

Magnus was updated pretty recently so I doubt it'll be changed. *sighs* I don't like that there are so many revamps. It would be nice if maybe artists did things like update map art or something @w@
checkers

Post by checkers »

I can't wait for the Bloodred Chai to be redrawn! I just have made Hurada one, and I have hope they'll fit what I want. :3
Strawberry Limeade

Post by Strawberry Limeade »

The following stuck out to me while trawling the forums (apparently, being unable to sleep brings out the masochist in me). It's from the sticky under the Imagination section labeled "When giving critique!" by a minimod named Tricksparrow.
Next we will discuss another very important part of this process. Taking critique gracefully.

DO NOT

- Take a critique of your work as a personal attack. Some things may be kind of hard to hear but remember that this will help you improve in the long-run.

- Make excuses. Seriously, if you are going to put your artwork out there to be rated or critiqued by other people prepare be accountable for problems your image may or may not have.

- Be dismissive/Rude. If someone has taken the time to critique your work do not post back with things like "Well, we can't all be perfect / it doesn't have to be perfect" or "I don't really care about (part of image) so it doesn't matter" You need to be just as polite as the people rating your art.

Interesting. And true. You don't have to listen to every opinion that comes your way, but if you can't hack having a well thought out crit of your work? Give it up, seriously. For me personally, thinking about doing new art without critiques now kind of freaks me out.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Thanks for the lovely Chai comments guys :) I'll be working on the BR and GY this month I expect :) (I'm not as fast as Chim though!)

I do agree with some points here on some artists being unwilling to listen to crits, based on their own evaluation of themselves. I mean, sometimes they do produce spectacular artwork, but I liked the users having a say, it was what made us different. I got quite used to being able to pick out the legitimate crits and disgard the ones that wouldn't work. I wish it could go back to that way, but we are in changing times I'm afraid :(

So all I can do is concentrate on my own pets!
Sarivonne

Post by Sarivonne »

Oh you are such a sweet heart, Rah :3 I REALLY look forward to the BR and Graveyard chais!
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Rah wrote:Thanks for the lovely Chai comments guys :) I'll be working on the BR and GY this month I expect :) (I'm not as fast as Chim though!)
Perfect, I have a BR Chai Elixir ready, just in case. =)
checkers

Post by checkers »

Iggy wrote:
Rah wrote:Thanks for the lovely Chai comments guys :) I'll be working on the BR and GY this month I expect :) (I'm not as fast as Chim though!)
Perfect, I have a BR Chai Elixir ready, just in case. =)
I have 4 :3 (3 to sell 1 used)
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Rah...the Chai is so cute and I think you did an excellent job of revamping it while keeping the "feel" of the Chai intact. When I began my search for a species to morph my dragon into Chai was actually first on my list as I think they are just sweet looking pets. I love your work and I appreciate you posting here and trying to keep us in the loop in some way. :D
tallan

Post by tallan »

thelonetiel wrote:I'm really hoping the artists and staff will be smart about this and revamp the Magnus soon The rest I think are reasonably different, but the Magnus and the Dragon are now too similar.

I think a stoney looking Magnus in a more traditional gargoyle pose would be nice, since it is supposed to be a gargoyle. Not an actual spout, but a stern, sitting at attention type pose. But then maybe we'd have two sets of irritated dragon fans. :P
I'm with you on this. When I first signed up on Subeta, *checks* 11 months ago, I really liked the Magnus. Pre-revamp.
It feels a lot more like a gargoyle to me. Of course, the art on the new one is better, but it looks too.. fluid. Too alive. Not like a stone monster. And way too benevolent.
But.. yeah. The chances of them going *back* on a revamp after all this time is probably nonexistent. *sigh*
ChibiDragon86

Post by ChibiDragon86 »

I honestly don't see where people are saying the Magnus and Dragon now look alike. O.o Yes they are drawn by the same artist but thats about it.

I like the magnus as is and if it was reverted back i'd probably be very upset since to me now it looks more like a gargoyle it's clunky, stone textured and looks pretty irked. To me the second vamp is too smooth. But thats my opinion.

And I like Chimaera's dragon drawing skills though I think she's been just used to drawing her Leupaks so she's gotten into the habit of drawing "large" beings. I'm not trying to defend her at all. But I do think the dragon vamp is good but really they should've atleast kept the whiskers. ;.;

~ Chibi
Last edited by ChibiDragon86 on 10 Jun 2007 04:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarivonne

Post by Sarivonne »

ChibiDragon86 wrote:And I like Chimaera's dragon drawing skills though I think she's been just used to drawing her Luepaks so she's gotten into the habit of drawing "large" beings.
What's a luepak? O_o That's not another dragon like species is it?
ChibiDragon86

Post by ChibiDragon86 »

Well her site about them been down but theyre her own creation. Best way to describe them is kinda a cross between a dillema and a dragon. O.o

Edit

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/36978952/

Theres one not drawn by her though.

But getting back on subject I really think maybe Subeta should make a board just to pet revamps/ items ETC just for constructive crits. Or something along those lines if possible. Also the suggestion of getting rid of hte sP give on polls would be also a good idea too. ^^

~ Chibi
Last edited by ChibiDragon86 on 10 Jun 2007 04:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.