Chai and Dragon revamp (+ staff discussion)

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
checkers

Post by checkers »

Chimaera didn't draw that. Smile Inversitle did.
I meant, she redrew the Magnus right, jsut like the Dragon? and she left out the Whiskers. x)
Kelpie

Post by Kelpie »

checkers wrote:
Chimaera didn't draw that. Smile Inversitle did.
I meant, she redrew the Magnus right, jsut like the Dragon? and she left out the Whiskers. x)
I wish I could say something that would please everyone. Honestly, the Magnus was revamped to look like the original magnuses...which had fangs instead of whiskers. We have had a lot of inaccurate revamps in the past. As nice as the old dragon was, the original did not have whiskers. Those were added in the second revamp. If the artist could add whiskers then, why not add wings now? I'm sure there was just a fuss over it back then.

I'm sorry. I truly am sorry that this has caused such a big stink. Perhaps in the future there can be some sort of lizardish, non-winged pet to compensate.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Kelpie wrote:I'm sorry. I truly am sorry that this has caused such a big stink. Perhaps in the future there can be some sort of lizardish, non-winged pet to compensate.
I think that this seems like a good idea, but then Subeta, in general, would continued to be moaned at for having similar species. Some people here for example have been saying that four canine and four dragons is already quite a large number, I happen to disagree, each has (or had) certain individual differences about them.

I think a Non-Winged Lizard may end up looking a bit like a Velosotor, so you might want to consider the species you have on the site before making them, which is one of our problems with the Dragon revamp.

Trust me if we have 15 pages of discussion about some revamps, something big happened, usually we would get to about 3 or 4 pages and then it would fizzle out.

I am all for revamps though, particularly the Clawsion and Malticorn are two species I wouldn't mind seeing revamped, Eevee's style isn't my taste. The Otter and Tigrean mainly.

I can't wait for more FMD (yes that's hagane) pet art work. :mrgreen:
Last edited by adi_gallia on 11 Jun 2007 04:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oh em gee

Post by oh em gee »

my short 'n sweet on this is:

the chai is much fluffier and more cuddly-looking, but has lost it's oh-god-its-so-cute-im-going-to-be-sick kind of feeling. so i /cheer for the artist who drew it (Rah, i think? only skimmed through the thread). still won't get one, as bears are just not my thing, but i think it's a much more desirable pet now.

the dragon is... squished. :p that's the only way i can think of it... squished and kind of lumpy. i do wish there had been a compromise between the old art and the new (i didn't like the old art because of art quality, i don't like the new because the dragon lost it's characteristics) but as i have never liked any of the dragons except the paralix, i'm not so emotionally disturbed. but i sympathize with those who adored the old dragon and had it flipped to something almost entirely different.

i might be the only person here who spends time in IRC. pre-chan bombardage, i used to sit in the subbie IRC all day long. i haven't had any problems with staff in there, although it must be admitted they were not ALWAYS accessible- as in, their name might be in the room but they themselves were AFK- but you could always send them a PM if you wanted. i haven't been in there since keith locked the room to keep more chan stuff from happening. i guess it's reopened now, but i can't register my nickname there, so i haven't been in since.

so far i haven't had any bad experience with staff.
but then, i don't interact/read stuff they post very often... :p

okay so this was not so short. but i gave my 2cents. hee.
tallan

Post by tallan »

And I feel the need to say that I truly am thankful that you (Kelpie) and other artists/mods/admins/people with positions on Subeta are here talking to us, even though we may disagree or not like what you're saying. It's not something anyone could've required/expected, so, just... thanks. It's really nice of you.
Keith

Post by Keith »

I'm not sure what's been said, as I don't have the time at the moment to go through this thread and read all the replys (but I will! Promise! I'm just running a reallyreally high fever and my internet time is limited)

As far as Chimera's art goes, the reason she is redoing a lot of the pets is that the other artists don't want to. Some don't feel comfortable doing pets that people like, some don't like doing quad pets, etc. Chimera doesn't mind picking up the slack and doing as many pets as we need to get done, so we release more than two colors a month.

I saw someone mention Kelpie, and how it wasn't fair for her (who doesn't do any art) to be an Art Director. That's the beauty of her position. She can spend all her time critiquing work (which she's amazing at) and focusing on improving artwork of the artists, instead of having to fill a quota, and do all of that. She's amazing at helping, and pointing people in the right direction.

I know everything on Subeta seems like a big, disorganized mess right now. In the next month or so, we're rebuilding the way the staff is structured so that it's far more organized.
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Keith wrote:As far as Chimera's art goes, the reason she is redoing a lot of the pets is that the other artists don't want to. Some don't feel comfortable doing pets that people like, some don't like doing quad pets, etc. Chimera doesn't mind picking up the slack and doing as many pets as we need to get done, so we release more than two colors a month.
Jessibean said here that FMD (hagane) wants to draw some more pets, but she is often skipped over.

But I don't know if hagane actually makes her requests for drawing more pets vocal, in whatever meetings the staff has, so I can't exactly speak on her behalf as I don't know if she has approached the Art Director, I assume she hasn't because her only species she draws has been made from unpopular, to popular, I'm quite sure if she approached someone she wouldn't be rejected, I think Kelpie may have said here that she would let hagane draw more.
Kelpie wrote:As for Hagane, I'm sure she knows that she can approach either of us should she be interested in redrawing any other unassigned species.
Keith

Post by Keith »

If she asked, I'm sure she'd be given more species. I'm the one who tells Chimera to do the neglected pets that no one wants, because otherwise they'll just.. sit there. If Hagane wants to take on another species (or two), she just has to ask :]
checkers

Post by checkers »

Keith wrote:I'm not sure what's been said, as I don't have the time at the moment to go through this thread and read all the replys (but I will! Promise! I'm just running a reallyreally high fever and my internet time is limited)

As far as Chimera's art goes, the reason she is redoing a lot of the pets is that the other artists don't want to. Some don't feel comfortable doing pets that people like, some don't like doing quad pets, etc. Chimera doesn't mind picking up the slack and doing as many pets as we need to get done, so we release more than two colors a month.

I saw someone mention Kelpie, and how it wasn't fair for her (who doesn't do any art) to be an Art Director. That's the beauty of her position. She can spend all her time critiquing work (which she's amazing at) and focusing on improving artwork of the artists, instead of having to fill a quota, and do all of that. She's amazing at helping, and pointing people in the right direction.

I know everything on Subeta seems like a big, disorganized mess right now. In the next month or so, we're rebuilding the way the staff is structured so that it's far more organized.
I think there should be a discussion between all artists then and you vote who gets what if they want it (: that seems fair, and that way noone is left out and everyone is happy with what they want to do. And if there are leftovers, Chimaera can have them. Just aslong as she isn't rude about us, the users views on her artwork.

Art Director seems a good, easy job xD I want it. Is there a way to like apply for a position alike this? :s without having art skills.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

This feels off topic, although actually it's totally on topic...

I hadn't properly looked before, but I hate the new dragon, it's horrible. Why did it get wings and lose the whiskers? Why does it look like a bodybuilder? Subeta already has something of a reputation for adding wings onto pets in order to make them "original" and "different" (see: Anyu for the worst example)- why keep doing this? It's dumb.

If no other artist could do the dragon, then why couldn't it just be left until a more faithful rendition to the older art could be done? The old one wasn't as horrible as, say, the torrey or malticorn.
Neopets wishlists: here
Keith

Post by Keith »

The revamp was done to be more like the OLD dragon, the original. A lot of pets lost their former vision when they were second-generation revamped, and are being pushed back to how they originally were (the original dragon had wings)
I think there should be a discussion between all artists then and you vote who gets what if they want it (: that seems fair, and that way noone is left out and everyone is happy with what they want to do. And if there are leftovers, Chimaera can have them. Just aslong as she isn't rude about us, the users views on her artwork.
It's hard for her to be given the job to do most of the artwork on the site (which she does an amazing job of), and then get critiqued on it worse than anyone else when all of it comes out.

We do have times when we ask artists what they'd like to do, and they have to show an example of that species in their style to show us that they're capable of handling it in the future.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Keith wrote:As far as Chimera's art goes, the reason she is redoing a lot of the pets is that the other artists don't want to.

I find this hard to believe considering she seems to love drawing lizards
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

Keith wrote:The revamp was done to be more like the OLD dragon, the original. A lot of pets lost their former vision when they were second-generation revamped, and are being pushed back to how they originally were (the original dragon had wings)
It's hard for her to be given the job to do most of the artwork on the site (which she does an amazing job of), and then get critiqued on it worse than anyone else when all of it comes out.

We do have times when we ask artists what they'd like to do, and they have to show an example of that species in their style to show us that they're capable of handling it in the future.
I promise you that we're not trying to critique anyone's artwork more than anyone elses. We would of reacted to this Art, at first, in the exact same way as we did here. The artists reactions probably did aggravate people, which exacerbated the situation. Personally, I think that if there was so much stress placed on one artist (which I'm sure doesn't have to be the case, and that there could probably be shuffling of responsibilities to make more realistic workloads for all) then perhaps it was not the right time to revamp the Dragon. As others had said, it was not as badly drawn as some other pets on the site, and probably could've waited until things calmed down for all.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
FourEyes

Post by FourEyes »

*is glad the drama and the flames are dying*

Hmm... I just had a good look at the first Dragon and the most recent revamp of it. They DO seem very close... Still, as everyone else was saying, the previous Dragon had a je ne sais quoi... I'm not sure.
...Oops. *searching for a smaller sig*
checkers

Post by checkers »

Keith wrote:The revamp was done to be more like the OLD dragon, the original. A lot of pets lost their former vision when they were second-generation revamped, and are being pushed back to how they originally were (the original dragon had wings)
ImageImageImage
They're the old Dragons right? None of them have wings o_O;