New Pet! The Lain

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Re: New Pet! The Lain

Post by Wingsrising »

Lain elixirs were just announced in the news.

Looking at the Lain some more, I don't think I want one unless I really like some of the redraws (which I have high hopes for). They're beautiful but the way the head looks like it's about to fall off the back just bugs me too much.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

For people than actually want a Lain Elixir, I have TWO right now, Gold Lain Elixir and Cream Lain Elixir.

Please PM me if you want one to USE ON YOUR PET.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

So, are they vending somewhere, Iggy? If so, mind sharing where? :)
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Mayhem wrote:So, are they vending somewhere, Iggy? If so, mind sharing where? :)
Prize Get and Burning Chance.

EDIT: Both are gone! =D
Last edited by Iggy on 18 Jan 2008 01:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
digiqueen11

Post by digiqueen11 »

I like it on it's own. The tail feathers are beautifully detailed and they eye color actually *matches* with the color of the body quite well. I don't mind the pose, the chest of a song bird is suppose to be fluffy like that. And the floating balls are kinda cool, like it has some kind of mystic/psychic powers. :p

The turn-offs, the beak and feet look out of place in a lot of colors because of the black. That and it's almost *too* pretty to go with my other pets if that makes any sense.

As for for the thin lines, I remember people complaining about how thick lines make a pet look cartoonish/childlike so I thought to myself " Oh look at the pretty thin lines, I bet a bunch of people will be happy about that!" Of course, that turned out to be a pipe dream, didn't it?

I really like it, but no enough to change my current pets. I'll have to think about it though.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

The breast of a songbird IS supposed to be puffy, yes, but it isn't puffy in a way that makes it look swaybacked. If you look at the puffed-up robin that Luxe linked to earlier, for example, it doesn't look at all like the Lain: its head appears to be in the normal place on top its neck instead of thrust back, and it's not swaybacked. Rather, when a songbird fluffs up the back feathers are puffed out, too -- the bird ends up looking like a round little ball rather than the letter "C."

Here's another image of a very fluffed-up sparrow which shows that the bird's head still appears well-balanced. Also, birds fluff by lifting their feathers rather than by thrusting their chests forward: if the Lain were puffed-up the sides of its breast would be bigger, too and not just the front.

In the same images, you can also see that a real bird has a visible throat instead of the head joining the body directly below the beak, as appears to be happening in the Lain. A songbird's neck is also much thicker relative to the head than a Lain's is -- the Lain's head looks pasted-on.

Although the wings in the Lain are clearly boneless and couldn't be flapped, that actually doesn't bother me as much as the whole body shape being wrong. I really like the colors and I actually like the lineart, but upon due reflection the swayback/weird head thing is a dealbreaker. Comparing it to some actual songbird pictures made me realize that... well, the Lain doesn't actually look very much like a bird. And a bird pet that doesn't look like a bird is sort of... weird. I have similar problems with the Neopets Petri. Wheras, whatever one thinks of Festers, they do like birds.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7763

The pets that need revamps and stuff topic went thataway. It was getting off topic and I can always use more practice with this confusing splitting.
Illuen

Post by Illuen »

The biggest thing that bugged me about this art when I saw it is that the forehead symbol, while being easily seen on the Arid and Marsh pet, is so thin that on most recolourings it gets lost and hard to/next to impossible to see (Cream and Twilight are the worst offenders for me, but it is bad on most of them. Then, of course, this could just be my crappy eyesight.)
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Yuko

Post by Yuko »

The only things I don't like about this pet are the feet and the eyes.. @@; I don't know why, they just look like... they don't belong or something. XD
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

It's not a bird - it's a Lain. *ducks*

(Where's the eyeroll smiley when you need it?)