Possible Ruffie revamp

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Re: Possible Ruffie revamp

Post by Tom »

I really don't like this proposed revamp. My first impression was not favourable, thinking it looked ugly rather than cute. I think the thing that bothers me the most is the face. It just seems to look very human to me, and seems particularly wide; not at all cute. I agree with checkers in that it reminds me of an old person - the mouth also seems rather odd to me. I voted for the old one despite it being as ugly as sin, because I think this one could use quite a bit of tweaking before going live.
Subeta: Thomas
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Blargh. Do I have to pick? Can't we just replace it with a toaster or a lolcat?
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Image Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Yes, that's much better. Thanks.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I'm glad Rah is doing this pet, because she always takes crits well and immediately makes necessary changes. She posted this in the news comments:
-has made a bunch of edits and is now showing the rest of staff-

Once they're done critting me again, and I edit again, it'll get polled again

I'll just say...the BLUE eyebrows are gone n__n

And lifted paw is no longer twisted n__n

And a few other things too...

But I won't be making the base blue. While it does look nice - that's pretty much what dusk will look like.
It sounds better to me already. :) I'll be surprised if she can make me like the Ruffie, though, no matter what she does to it. I normally love her work (Anyu <3 ), but she doesn't have much to work with here. In my perfect scenario, the Ruffie would be completely overhauled. Didn't Rah mention a while back that she wished she could make it look more like a chihuahua? I think pointy ears would be adorable, but I'm sure people would freak out.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

The dusk argument baffles me. It looks like cream now. This is an improvement?

I also just don't understand making the common color completely different. There are all the Ruffie items that are baby blue, there's the chibi Ruffie (which would obviously also be redone, but still), it's... it's the Ruffie color. Absolutely baffling.
Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Its interesting how different the colors look when viewed on a Mac vs PC. I like the colors on both, but I have to admit they look much nicer in the muted tones the Mac color display gives. It'll be interesting to see whether or not Rah drew this on a Mac or a PC.

Unlike all of you it would seem, I love this revamp. Sure there are some anatomy errors, but Rah being the amazing person she is already said she had fixed them. I love the colors of it and the splotches of color above the eyes. I may get one if I ever get my hands on another Plushie.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

I think Rah is wanting to change the colour because a lot of the pets she handles right now are blue. :x

Blue + Brown + White can be a really nifty colour combo.. *has it going on in her room* XD
checkers

Post by checkers »

Cranberry wrote:I'm glad Rah is doing this pet, because she always takes crits well and immediately makes necessary changes. It sounds better to me already. :)
Rah is a great artist, not only talented but does listen to crit well. :P Hopefully she'll take my nitpick and lessen up on the spots, even if its just the two large ones on each shoulder blade (?) and one or two of the tiny ones.
Rah

Post by Rah »

AngharadTy wrote:*boggles*

I hated Ruffies already, and this is definitely not an improvement. I don't understand how this is released as even a potential revamp.
Well, as lovely as it is to hear your opinion, that really doesn't help me at all. Thankfully I'm learning to just gloss over comments like these, and pick up as many helpful crits as I can while trying to forget I even have any feelings. BECAUSE ARTISTS ARE ROBOTS. Yes we are.

I actually like the revamp. When things are pointed out to me that can make them better, I take them into account, and make as many changes as I can. When people say it should just be deleted, or that its just ugly, or we should replace it with a frigging toaster, then thats when I start ignoring people.

And no, the cream colourscheme is NOT tan and blue. There is NO colourscheme that is tan and blue, which is why I chose these colours for the common version (and honestly, if you can find me active players who have a common ruffie, i'd be very interested to see them!) Cream is...cream, mocha brown and teal. Dusk is dark blue, blue and cyan.

All the Ruffie items will have to be redrawn anyway, no matter what. I've already redrawn some of the weapons, they're on the site now.

And the Chibi Ruffie DOESN'T have to be the same colour as the common Ruffie. I am quite happy to leave that as it is. Dalmatians don't get their spots until they've grown a bit, so I have no inclination to want to go in immediately and give the chibi Ruffie spots. It's just not high priority.

That said, thank you to those of you who have provided lovely crits :) I'm putting a lot into place, changing the Ruffie quite a bit before it's re-polled. I've never had any problem with making changes, I like to make people happy if I can.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I actually must say, Rah, that the first thing that came to mind with this (other than the broken paw) is that it did look a lot like the cream color scheme. I would have agreed with you not so long ago, and then we got a huge flood of cream pets that featured a -lot- of blue, which I think is totally out of place - my favorite cream pets are the ones that are actually... cream. It does seem a bit odd that pets like the Serpenth were changed completely because they mimicked a color too closely (arid in that case) but you did do something that IS similar to cream - especially since it's become so popular to highlight cream with teal/blue/whatever.

And you're talking to someone who LOVES brown and blue together - half of our apartment is decorated that way. It just strikes me as odd that you'd pick this color combination, and seem hell-bent to stick to it, when I'm sure there's thousands of other color combinations that don't even slightly mock a different color on the site (Hell, even different shades of darker browns and tans that aren't in the cream pallet would be nice - this is just weird because you know cream will be the same thing, just slightly different colors).
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

Rah wrote:And the Chibi Ruffie DOESN'T have to be the same colour as the common Ruffie. I am quite happy to leave that as it is. Dalmatians don't get their spots until they've grown a bit, so I have no inclination to want to go in immediately and give the chibi Ruffie spots. It's just not high priority.
I'd love the Chibi Ruffie to be redone though, it's one of those pets that I can't look at. It's like the head is made of paper, but the eyes are on a surface with a bit of depth which really confuses me.

I always liked that Chibi pets were, on the whole, the same colour as the common version. The only exceptions to this are the Aerie, Hipposaru, Mallarchy, Kerubi, Tutani and Swampie (which is the same colour as Lilac at least). The first three or four could do with slight updates anyway. Basically, I'd love to see what you could do to the Chibi Ruffie, it'd probably be really cute.

I'm glad you're taking the crits into account, I can't wait to see your final version, I know you've been thinking about and working on this revamp for a while.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I think the reason I don't really like it as a revamp is it looks as much like the Cream Anyu as it does the Common Ruffie. (Also, the Cream Clawsion really does have the dark blue-tan-white colourscheme.)

Image Image Image
They're completely different animals, a bear and a dog. But the dog's face and expression is almost identical to the bear's, and the dog's paws are about as heavy. Dogs aren't meant to be heavy in the same way bears are; the old Ruffie was big, but it didn't look like it had the same weight as the new one, and I think the weight's excessive. Also, the old Ruffie's back legs are anatomically wrong (they stick out too far) but the new one's stomach has different problems; the way it's shaded (and the hindquarters, too) makes it look as if it's narrower than the legs, which it shouldn't be, and the fur on it shouldn't grow upwards.
Rah

Post by Rah »

I don't know how to fix that, Jazzy. I don't see what's wrong with the way the stomach and hindquarters are shaded. I'm trying to alter it, but it's hard to fix something that looks fine to you :/ (although I appreciate you trying to help me!)

I have changed the back leg, and the line of the stomach - so hopefully it will look better to you when it's repolled :3
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Rah wrote:
AngharadTy wrote:*boggles*

I hated Ruffies already, and this is definitely not an improvement. I don't understand how this is released as even a potential revamp.
Well, as lovely as it is to hear your opinion, that really doesn't help me at all. Thankfully I'm learning to just gloss over comments like these, and pick up as many helpful crits as I can while trying to forget I even have any feelings. BECAUSE ARTISTS ARE ROBOTS. Yes we are.
The problems I had with it had already been mentioned by the previous posters. I didn't see the point of copying everything they had said. Ruffies are one of my least favorite pets on the site (because the art is awful), and all the problems with the polled revamp did not make it more attractive to me. And I do think that the uplifted paw at the least is a large enough anatomy error that it should have been caught by the other critiquing artists before being released as a poll.

We are not required to give point-by-point critiques when we dislike something, here. Of course it's useful and adds valuable content to the site, and absolutely pointless posts aren't allowed, but helpful critiques are not a requirement. I wasn't trying to give you help; I was trying to add in my viewpoint to the discussion.

I also had no idea it was your work, Rah, because I usually like your work. I see now that if I'd compared it to the Anyu, it would have been apparent to me, but I was hardly trying to attack you or make you feel bad. It's very difficult to openly dislike pet art nowadays because who knows who drew it, if they come here, if they're going to take something far too personally. Everyone has a different aesthetic ideal. I, personally, myself, alone, do not see this as cute and nice and adorable. You should not try to make me feel guilty because I have expressed that. I'm not that dickweed on the site who said it was a dead carcass or something. I may not have been diplomatic, but I wasn't that cruel.

The point of this site is just to talk about pets. It's not to talk to the artists, it's not to provide the artists with valuable aid.... Normally, if we can do the latter two, that is fantastic. But logically, I don't think I was in the wrong. I dislike the pet. I'm allowed to. I think you're bringing your hurt from the morons on the Subeta news posts and possibly elsewhere and lashing out at me. However, it worked. I'll be taking a hiatus from commenting on pets. I feel really horrible, on top of a bad couple of days, and I made someone I like sarcastic and sad at me--I think I'll take a break.
Image Image