DM Mahar and GY Montre

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Iggy

Re: DM Mahar and GY Montre

Post by Iggy »

That's why your "I like my pets subtle" comment threw me off.
I blame too much sleep. And, glade is SO the exception. Everything else in my life is subtle and smooth. I just needed eccentric green pets.

ON TOPIC STUFF
It's making my "feng shui"-ish sense twitch horribly. I can't stand it. It has great attitude and I like the notion of the wing lunch, but oof. It's just a compressed line of montre. So much whiteness!

Funny, I don't feel that way about the Montre, but about the Mahar. It's big. Way too big for me. It takes up a lot of space in the canvas, and it disturbs me. Like the GY Cybill distubed me. I really want to see what the small version is compared to other pets, because right now, it feels like it could make my lines unbalanced. And, I like my pet lines balanced.

That's why I turned my Angelic Aeanoid into a Glacier Demi when it came out. The Aeanoid ruined the balance of my angelic pets with its style.

The Mahar is not a style issue, but a size issue. An issue I'm not having with the small Montre. Sure, I wouldn't mind if it was bigger. But, it's not throwing me off like the Mahar.
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I like both of them, actually! For different reasons.

I'm not a fan of mahars--something about them is really creepy to me--but the lines on this one are nice, and I really like the jagged amethysts. Maybe it's just the deep purple gems that appeal to me, but the expression and the face are nice as well. I imagine the gems would show up better on a full-size version.

And there's something about the montre that I really like. This surprises me! I'm not excited by graveyard pets in general, at least not for myself--I can't do much with a decomposing pet--but the more I look at the montre, the more I like it. The tail is too thin, as usual, but it doesn't bother me as much with a pet that has skeletal bits. The face is really nice--I love the suspicious eye, the snarly mouth, and the grumpy ears. I'm tempted to try to pet him, even though I know he'll bite my hand off. I like the scratches and the subtle emaciation and the fact that he's possessively chewing on his own ripped-off wing.

I don't see a problem with the montre not filling the box completely. I think the attitude and appearance would be less effective in a pose that allowed him to fill up more space. It's just such a nicely put-together pet.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I love love love the Mahar, and it is the first redraw of theirs that I like except the general pose. The face is just gorgeous and has such a nice personality to it. I kinda like that the gems turned more pointy then the normal smooth ones, especially the ones on the tail and horns. It's like the DM is mutating it somewhat to be more evil :P I need one but I have absolutely no spots and no one to change really. And I still need a DM EndeavorCadogre (Thanks Jessi :P ). Curse you, artists, curse you. My slots are filled, start making crappy pets now!

The GY Montre is disappointing. Sure the art itself is great and I like the coloring and shading, but it's the pose that kills it. It's just so so tiny, like a little snarly puppy. Which is cute, but that's what the Ruffie is for. If it were larger I think I'd like it a lot more. All that said, I really like the way the forepaws were done.
Last edited by Seerow on 18 Oct 2009 02:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
C. Dagger

Post by C. Dagger »

I am so surprised but --
I LOVE the Mahar. It's just... it's so well-executed. Very unique design, amazing expression, great pose, it's just all around good. It's funny, I detested the species until I saw the DM. Now... they've completely captured my interest. Their design is really versatile (especially if they keep with the crystal-shifting, sort of like the Celinox) and I'm excited to see upcoming colors. C:

The Montre, however... I see why other people like it, I do. The wicked little face and the added touch of it gnawing on its own bone. But I personally love Graveyard as a color because of the sheer amount of detail that can often go into each pet. And a lot of them carry different ideas/themes/bits and pieces that make them perfect for using as characters. Look at the detail in the Escalade and the Paralix, the originality in the Terracoon, the Kumos, and even the bone-winged Irion.

I feel like the Montre lacks that sort of detail and originality, and because of that it just doesn't appeal to me. It's also very, very small. However, the anatomy looks great and the shading is lovely, and I know that many people who were waiting for it are extremely happy, and that's good enough for me. :D

I look forward to more Morostide pets! :D
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Large version of the GY Montre. I like it much better large and it's a lot easier to see that he is in fact eating his wing bone. I still wish there was something in the left corner though. Flies could have fit in alright, seeing as he's decaying and all.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

The darkmatter mahar is beautiful. I just love everything about it. My favorite is the way it's looking at the darkmatter. If I didn't feel the nightmare endeavor fit my pet Amar to a T I would make him this in an instant. My only nitpick, like others, is the way the crystals look on the chest. But it's nothing big and I'll get use to it. So in all, great way to finish off darkmatter. Also, yay for mahars getting some love!

I like the graveyard montre. I like how it's chewing on it's own wing bone and how simple it is. I like the mix up of light decay and really decaying graveyard pets. To me each one of them are at a different stage of decay then the others and I like that. Anywho, the large version is great. I feel it looses a bit when it's shrunk. So nice addition to the graveyards and nice way to start the halloween colours.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
firost-the-dragon

Post by firost-the-dragon »

mmm.....

uh....

i dunno. i cant find a good place to start.

ok... first, the Mahar

I guess its kinda different for a Mahar, only because of the shard-ish crystals instead of the orbs. But i like it that way. *now i shall debate on a DM paralix or DM Mahar*

And the montre... ok. I really cant say anything about it. It just doesnt seem to phase me. There's nothing on it i really was going for. Sry. I just don't like it.
see this picture and more at http://www.darkpidgeot10.deviantart.com . this is by ME!!!