Mutant Ogrin

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Re: Mutant Ogrin

Post by Huggles »

I don't even...what?

I think the oddest thing about this is that it looks as if it should be made out of abc gum.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Haha, as the resident (and I think only) Ogrin lover, I adore this to death. I like the mismashed parts, I think they all come together nicely. The colors are especially great.

I don't know what I'd ever do with one, but I want one.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

Every mutant to come out after customization has been excessively busy and colorful. I think they're overcompensating for being unable to dress them, and they really shouldn't try. They should just focus on making them simple, weird and iconic, like the pre-customization mutants.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

I seem to be one of the only people here who liked this as soon as she saw it. It's quite obviously a failed experiment, and yet adorable in a freakish kind of way-- I love its hopeless-yet-optimistic expression. I think my favourite part after that has to be the ears, with their oddly detailed little spines. The back feet and mane are a little puzzling, but I don't think they detract from it majorly. Overall it's the detail that sells me on this pet, from the Grackle-trap tail to the lace-up toes. It's one of the only Mutants I'd actually be fairly happy to own, in the hypothetical universe where I'd be in the market for another permie.

Is it just me, or is this pet coloured in a different way from most Neopets? I can't quite put my finger on what's different, but I'm sure something about it is, and I rather like it.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Plushie Lenny

Post by Plushie Lenny »

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE.
I hate it. And that an Ogrin fan saying that.
I wanted the Mutant Ogrin to be grotesque like the Koi or Gnorbu, not mix and matchey like the Uni!
Bleh, i kinda like the Mane and Tail though . . .

sigh.
Haken

Post by Haken »

Wow O.o

I must say, they took Mutant to a whole new level with this one. I don't know whether to like it or be grotesque by it DX
It's really busy, I don't know if I like all the colours they've chosen. But I sorta like the overall detail. At least it looks like they put some work into it.
Felid

Post by Felid »

Aesthetically this reminds me of the Tyrannian Gelert (same artist maybe?) and like that pet it looks, stylistically, nothing like any other Neopet.

On the plus side this is much, much better than the Futurama-wannabe Mutant Uni. The most frustrating thing about it is that it's almost brilliant, and yet instead ends up a complete mess. I must say that I really don't like any of main the colours used, nor do they seem appropriate for a Mutant. This Ogrin has absolutely none of the menace or sinister qualities if the best of the Mutant designs. Instead the artist has gone for a kind of "dumb" look.

Most of the individual elements are really nicely done and have a detail and quality to them - the head tentacles, the horns and back spines, the overall head shape, the mouthed tail, the sucker feet - Taken on their own each of these are quite excellent and very well realised, but put them all together and they cancel one another out. The design just doesn't have any coherence and there are far too many colours used. It really makes me long to take the design apart and put it together properly with a different palate of colours and half the features removed....

Mutants are by far my favourite Neopets because the best of them display a level of detail and artistry that is absent from most other Neopets. I also like the slightly threatening quality shared by many of them, both pre and post UC. Very sadly, though, this Ogrin just doesn't convince as a Mutant. A real shame.
Fury

Post by Fury »

OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS AHAHAHAA

That is one mutated pet! It's just a bit *too* grotesque for my liking and it certainly looks nothing like an Ogrin but it's awesome all the same. You can't knock any points off for detail!
Faun

Post by Faun »

I actually love this. Its so colourful and random and mixed up. I want one. *_*
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

It took me a little bit, but I kind of like it. It looks like its ears might jump off the page and bite me.

There are many other mutant pets I'd choose to own before this one though. But if I was still actively zapping and got one that way, I'd be tempted to keep it, for a little while at least.
invaderhorizongreen

Post by invaderhorizongreen »

i would not own this mutant pet i would prefer the simpleness of the mutant kougra or lupe before i EVER consider owning one of these! all i can say it was a nice idea to begin with but WHERE IS OUR MUTANT WOCKY!?! :x
Madge

Post by Madge »

I like how busy and crazy this is - when you think about the ogrin as a species, it really is just a bunch of mis-matched parts all squished together. I think the mutant just takes this to the next extreme.

It's really bloody busy though, but I think that's just the way mutants are going now.
icicledragon4

Post by icicledragon4 »

I like the ogrin. I actually like the wide assortment of wild colors. It makes the creature very vibrant. The flytrap tail is cool looking. The only parts I'm not to fond of are the ears. Nice color.
Snowager

Post by Snowager »

EofS wrote: Wait, what?
I'll give you the poogle horns, they're very similar. And there striped thing is a bit unfortunate, although the shade's very different.
I was thinking like this..
[/quote]

I mixed up a little.
These horns
This kinda goatee, a little more curly
This mane is kinda like the same
And maybe this kinda coat for the rear of the ogrin
MeZergy

Post by MeZergy »

MUTANT OF MUTANTS! WHAT *IS* THAT?