Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Re: Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

Post by Griffin »

Man, my pokemon suck. They ALL got one-shotted by the second gym leader's stupid ugly Miruhog. I have to say my least favourite pokemon of all time are now Minezumi/Miruhog, and also Dageki. Dageki's little hopping animation really pisses me off. And why is it wearing a karate gi? Is that its shed skin? Is a Black Belt wandering around naked, wondering who mugged him? Catching one would make it easy to finish off those stupid normal types, but I don't wanna waste exp gains on a pokemon I hate.

My team so far consists of Janobii, Shimama, Koromori, Choroneko, Tabunne, and Hiyappu, though I'm not using the last two right now because they're too underleveled and I'm tired of grinding. My team generally has a defense deficiency, and they're not really powerhouses, either. Must level more to compensate. -_-
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I can't believe that for the fifth generation, they've reduced the accuracy of Hypnosis AGAIN. Now it's down to 60%. That's almost as unreliable as Grasswhistle/Sing! I like adding the occasional dream eater into my team, but it looks like that won't be happening this gen. 60% is too risky for me. Wasting a turn is never fun, especially when you're trying to catch things.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

Ierosbats wrote:I can't believe that for the fifth generation, they've reduced the accuracy of Hypnosis AGAIN. Now it's down to 60%. That's almost as unreliable as Grasswhistle/Sing! I like adding the occasional dream eater into my team, but it looks like that won't be happening this gen. 60% is too risky for me. Wasting a turn is never fun, especially when you're trying to catch things.
Hypnosis has nearly always had 60% accuracy. It got bumped to 70% for Diamond/Pearl but then dropped again for Platinum.
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

So... having fully animated sprites is possibly the GREATEST thing to ever happen to Pokemon. ;_; A bunch of pokes that I originally thought looked awkward/ugly in the still images are completely awesome when brought to "life." And seeing the old gen pokes moving around brings me epic joy. I officially retract all hatred toward this generation. <3 Well, except for Wotter's final evolution. Nothing could redeem that poor thing for me.

Someone ripped a bunch of the sprites from (I'm assuming) an illegal ROM, so make sure you buy the game next year after staring at all of these. ;D Spoilers, if you don't want to see how they move.

And now some (a lot) of my favorites:
Spoiler: open/close
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image (<-- BEST EVER) Image Image Image Image (OMG HAPPY LITTLE WINGFLAPS) Image Image (epic.)
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

ZOMG, if that isn't the cutest thing I've ever seen! 8D I still hate its evolved form, but still so cute. And that spider is also adorable (coming from someone who hates spiders). I must have one on my team.

But how much do they move around in game? Just seeing those out of the corner of my eye while typing this post is giving me a headache. ;A; Seeing 6 of them moving around on those tiny screens at one time will drive me insane.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

These animations run faster than the ones in the game. I agree, the animations make me like most pokemon more than I thought I would, and it makes up for the lack of following sprites. I had to get a Darumakka when I saw it roll up into a little daruma egg, awww <3
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

I'm trying to find Ken Sugimori images for all the new pokemon. Does anyone know if they're all out yet or where I can find the status of them?
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
Madge

Post by Madge »

I'd personally just stay tuned to the fansites - bulbapedia or pokebeach are my two favourites, though serebii is the most popular. Bulbapedia in particular will put the Sugimori art on their wiki pages for each pokemon breed.
Nogitsune
Colourmeister

Post by Nogitsune »

Madge wrote:I'd personally just stay tuned to the fansites - bulbapedia or pokebeach are my two favourites, though serebii is the most popular. Bulbapedia in particular will put the Sugimori art on their wiki pages for each pokemon breed.
Thanks Madge. I've been trying to pay attention, especially to Bulbapedia and Pokebeach, but there are still many missing images (including the final forms of the starters) and I'm not sure why this is or when they may be released.
Faster than a speeding cheeseburger, but not by much.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Image Image
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

AngharadTy wrote:Dangit. Cannot unsee.
Haha, kind of on that note, the other day I noticed that Skuntank's tail is totally the same shape as Gary's hair :D
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I don't know what possessed me to hunt down the first new episode of Pokemon, but I did. And after watching it, I think I have to have that pig as my starter now.

I still freakin' hate its final form, but it's so pathetically adorable I can't ignore it.

And those animated sprites are awesome! I especially love Chatot's.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So the starters now have English names. Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott for the Grass, Fire and Water respectively. The only one that I really like is Oshawott, I'm not sure where they're getting Tepig from and Snivy gives me the creeps like Gary's dub voice. Also the region is now Unova instead of Isshu. Go figure.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

Oshawhat?

/not in before a thousand other people who've probably said the same thing
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Oshawott reminds me of Ottawa, and I'm not sure I like that, tbh.