New Plot: The Faeries' Ruin

Post anything new on Neopets here.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Re: New Plot: The Faeries' Ruin

Post by mellaka »

I'm still happily battling away at 958/501/301. I hope to get to 1001 minions tonight, then I'm not sure what I'll do. I'm still hoping that we have some harder challengers later on.

And dumb me wound up with a loss against a Fury because I visited Snowy and got blasted while battling.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I got a loss because I decided to fight with one of my little pets and didn't realize the brute's HP was too much for him to handle! I went back to the big pet after that.

Post by 23639377 »

I fought 51/31/20.

Then I got bored.
(Forum set is under construction)
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Well, it seems like TNT have called a halt to the battling. If that was a BD plot step, then I fail utterly to see what all the fuss has been about all these years. It felt less like an achievement, more like repeatedly pressing the button for a lift to arrive. But if it appeals to some hardcore players (and shuts up the "don't try to tell ME I can't predict the future, TNT will never do X again because NEOCASH" Neoboards crowd for a few months), who am I to judge?

248 minions thwacked for me and Lila. It could have been a nice round 250, but I got caught up playing video games and thought I'd give it a rest for the night. Hoping the next step will be out this weekend. Excited!
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

That's not what all the fuss was about. What we battlers remember were real wars, where only the first couple of opponents were easy like that, and then we started getting harder and harder opponents who required real strategy -- opponents with healers and freezers, better weapons, and a lot more strength and defence. There were also no caps, so you'd fight 'til your pet couldn't possibly finish one more battle. The prizes were never much to write home about unless you were one of the top battlers, but you got a nifty shield on your lookup with your kill number underneath, and it was lots of fun taking advantage of war inflation and selling codestones and faeries and weapons. These little BD steps are okay (and I'm expecting we'll get some harder opponents later on in this plot), but they're not the same.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Well said, Cranberry. I was going to try to write a similar response but was having trouble with it.

I would just add that those real wars from so long ago are why so many people like me started training our pets in the first place. If you look at my lookup, you can see an scoring improvement with each plot (well up until that Maraquan war debacle), and I'm kind of sad that it pretty much stopped there, when win limits were introduced to make things more balanced.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Exactly. This wasn't the war we've been asking for, it's just a nice step in that direction.
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

A new plot step is up! To begin, head over to Brightvale and refresh the main map until you see a text link underneath it. I wish I could just post it here and save you all the trouble, but it's unique to each person. Sorry!

The link takes you to the library in Brightvale castle, and for some of us, it may trigger some...ah...fond memories of the Lost Desert Plot. XD But it's not that bad. I followed some tips on the Neoboards on how to get the three new achievements, and am currently verifying them. You will have to play through the game at least twice to get all three.
Spoiler: open/close
To get "Son, I am Disappoint" : (lol!)
Put the books on the shelves in a completely random order. To pick up a book, click on it, then click on an empty space (or another book, this will switch them). Do NOT get rid of any of your books yet! When every book is on the shelf, click on the bell. The "librarian" will get angry and knock all the books off the shelf, and you'll have your achievement. This can actually be a little tricky though: if you by chance get even ONE book in the correct spot, you won't get the achievement. (If a book stays on the shelf after the librarian hits it, that means it's in the correct space.)

To get "They're Flying Off The Shelves!" :
Weed out the books that you don't need. You can get rid of a book by clicking on it, then clicking on one of the rooms on either side of the shelf.

To determine which books you need and which you don't, look at the categories on the shelves you have. Each category has a little symbol associated with it. Use JellyNeo's guide to determine which symbol goes with which category (I'm talking about the little pictures ABOVE the numbers on each book, not the shapes below them.) Get rid of the books with pictures on it that don't match your category. You don't have to shelve anything yet. Once you get rid of all the books you don't need, that should give you the achievement.

For the last achievement, you need to organize everything perfectly the first time. And doing THAT is kind of a pain, because the definition of "getting the books in order" VARIES depending on which category you're working with. This petpage has a good guide to the different orders.

I hope I'm not taking too much of the fun out of this by explaining everything. It's just that, to me, it wasn't that intuitive and I know a lot of us have places to go and jobs to work at, or just don't have a lot of time.
Finally, as someone who works in a children's library, let me just say this: Neopia needs its own version of the Dewey Decimal System. Because what they have now is terrible! XD

ETA: Spoiler tag'd, just in case.
Last edited by Rakumel on 16 Oct 2010 02:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Madge

Post by Madge »

WAIT, the Kougra guard is a GIRL?!

That makes the fact that I just months ago named my new centaur roleplaying character Brynn Tix even more awkward. But I like the name Brynn Tix for frig's sake :(
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

I just got all the achievements, my advice is to go for the 'First Time's A Charm' achievement first. Once it is out of the way the other two take about 5seconds each. I of course didn't and ended up completing four rooms before I got all of my achievements, it's quite easy and fun once you get the hand of it. The 'CD' petpage that Rakumel posted is the one I used, very good!
EofS

Post by EofS »

And do Son, I am disappoint last. Because it's a lot easier to move all the books around when they're not all[/] on the desk!

I love the titles of the shelves. Too many favourites to list!
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Why is the achievement called "I am Disappoint" and not "I am Disappointed"? Is this one of TNT's pop culture jokes that happens to have gone over my head this time?

I'm disappoint(ed) to see that the plot main page doesn't seem to be keeping track of how many rooms you've cleared. I was hoping this might be one of the long-haul puzzle steps that I always seem to have missed in the past, like LDP. Still, it's fairly fun, and I got the achievements all too quickly. And hurrah for the return of the Angry Yurble!
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Madge

Post by Madge »

"Son, I am dissapoint" is a meme. I'm not sure where it originated, but it's quite frequently on reddit in the fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu section.

http://encyclopediadramatica.com/I_am_disappoint for reference

From what I can gather it started out as a 4 panel comic, where the first two panels are things you do to dissapoint your dad, and then the final two are your dad saying "Son... I am dissapoint"

Example comic, spoilered because it's large and contains NSFW text
Spoiler: open/close
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Angry Yurble <jobtitle>? Hell yes! Glad to see him back. I must be getting old, I'd never heard of 'Son I am disappoint'. This plot step will have to wait till later, I'm supposed to be decimating the garden. EDIT: I started, it rained, I'm done.
Madge wrote:WAIT, the Kougra guard is a GIRL?!
Don't tell me you didn't notice the (inevitable) undercurrent of sexual 'friendly' frisson between Brynn and Hanso in the comics?

No, me neither. Well not until the most recent one, anyway. But, more to the point, with the way she is acting in the last plot instalment, all full of remorse for locking him up, could it in fact be her responsible for the Faerie's curse? Dun dun duuuun!
Last edited by Kantark on 16 Oct 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Kari

Post by Kari »

That wasn't as bad as I thought. I thought we'd have to do all the books on all the categorized shelves, not just the three or four we had in that room. I got two of the achievements, gotta get the disappoint one later.
derp