Post minor achievements/woes here!

Post the good things and the bad things that have happened to you on Neopets here.
Madge

Re: Post minor achievements/woes here!

Post by Madge »

I think you got the warning for the word "Ball" - either because LOL IT COULD BE A TESTICLE, or, more likely because a ball is a party? (I remember years back they banned all "parties" on the chat boards, so perhaps they're still mean about that?)

Also, how do you know it was that particular sentence? Do they quote it in the warning neomail nowadays?
Fury

Post by Fury »

Madge wrote:I think you got the warning for the word "Ball" - either because LOL IT COULD BE A TESTICLE, or, more likely because a ball is a party? (I remember years back they banned all "parties" on the chat boards, so perhaps they're still mean about that?)

Also, how do you know it was that particular sentence? Do they quote it in the warning neomail nowadays?
LOL. Seriously, the monitor that warned me needs a slap.

Yeah, they quote the sentence in neomails now. This is what it said:
You have received an official warning from the Neopets Team for violating the Neopets Terms and Conditions. You are getting warned because your RP included and/or was leading up to one of the following: dating, mating and/or neomarriages, slash, parties/dorms/dances, gang wars, violent fighting, religion, politics, slavery/kidnapping or adult lifestyle. Roleplay should not include anything REMOTELY sexual, violent or gross - this includes detailing sexual orientation. Furthermore, trying to get other users to go off-site for any reason is strictly not allowed. Trying to bypass our filters with substituted words for illegal roleplay will still get you warned and possibly frozen.

The following is the message(s) that caused you to receive this warning. Any profanity, inappropriate language, or bad acronyms have been replaced with asterisks (****):

Masquerade Ball? Venetian Carnival? { a l-------------------------] i c e }

If you continue to break the rules, your account will be permanently frozen. To see a list of Neo Rules, please visit http://www.neopets.com/chatrules.phtml. Please do not reply to this NeoMessage.
The {alice} bit is just my neoHTML signature. I really can't get my head round how they can take something SO out of context. Roleplay? Jesus.
Madge

Post by Madge »

There you go, the warning text says "parties/dorms/dances". A ball is a dance. Bullshit warning, but I can sort of see the twisted logic now.

Don't you know that by suggesting "masquerade ball", you were unwittingly inviting that person to neomail you for obscene neopets sex roleplay?
Fury

Post by Fury »

Madge wrote:There you go, the warning text says "parties/dorms/dances". A ball is a dance. Bullshit warning, but I can sort of see the twisted logic now.

Don't you know that by suggesting "masquerade ball", you were unwittingly inviting that person to neomail you for obscene neopets sex roleplay?
LMAO, that made me laugh so hard.

I just hate how I can be warned because a massive tit at the Neopets HQ can't read, picked out my one single post without reading the other posts to see what it was relating to, saw I mentioned the word 'ball' and immediately assumed I wanted to seduce everyone and have hot, raunchy cybersex with them. BRILLIANT.

To stay on topic:
Total Winnings 192800 NP
Food Club, yay!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

That's one of the circumstances where I roll my eyes at their assurance that "real humans" give warnings. Either they're hiring real humans who are so stupid they can't figure out blinking without assistance, or they're hiring robots to scour for key words (like "ball") and issuing warnings automatically.

I also like that "parties" and "dances" are in the same category as "dorms." Okayyyy. Maybe my college was just tame. Mostly we just slept and studied in our dorms (and partied off-campus).
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

I think the mention of "party" boards is because about 5 or 6 years ago there was a huge rash of "Shoyru P@RTY" sort of boards in the FC - and, having lurked a couple in my time, they were basically people roleplaying neopets in skimpy clothing making out.

My guess is that "dorm" boards became a new codeword to mean the same sort of thing, which is why it's explicitly forbidden?

I wish they could say something like "your warning was issued by Angela at 12:45 NST", so that way at least you can see if the stupid warnings come from the same 'person'.

My guess is they have an automatic script that shows posts that meet the criteria to the monitors, and the monitors click a button to warn or not, and sometimes the monitors click the wrong button or they aren't shown enough context to vet a post as being legitimate or not.

Part of my tech support job at uni involves warning banning students who are downloading ridiculous amounts of data (i.e. torrenting), and sometimes I'll ban them when I meant to just warn them, or I'll send them an email telling them they're banned but I forgot to click the "ban" button, or I'll send them an email telling them they're unbanned but I forget to click the "unban" button.

Usually I do the right thing, but I can screw up because, fuck it, I'm human. I think something similar can easily happen with TNT's monitors.

That said, at least if I do the wrong thing we respond to most emails within 24 hours and can be reached on the phone 7 days a week.

Whereas TNT still hasn't finished responding to my email saying "WHERE IS MY PPL TROPHY, I EARNED ONE, DAMNIT" for months. (after I finally managed to convince them that I had a pet that was eligible i.e. not zapped or anything. BUTTHEADS).

... I think that came out a little long/rambly, even for me.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Wait, but isn't ball also = Ball, noun ( ROUND OBJECT ) - any object in the shape of a sphere, especially one used as a toy by children or in various sports such as tennis and football. Surely that comes up frequently in RP done by kids? They must be warning left and right if it's automatic.

Marge, I love Nouvelle's customization! Very fierce and Nordic! I have to get that BG soon - it's gorgeous.
And yep, sad images on Ocy's lab history were signifying that I dislike the change. I gave it up after they activated customization since I disliked every species on the principle alone for a while there ;-)
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta

Post by 23639377 »

Attached 2 petpetpets in one day! Less than 30 minutes for each one!

I have no life.
(Forum set is under construction)
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

I once got a warning because too many people used the word "party" on my guild board. It was the guild's anniversary and, while we weren't doing any giveaways or anything against the rules, people were saying things like "Happy Birthday guild! Yay party time!" I really hate how indiscriminate they can be with warnings. My guild is almost dead because I had to turn myself into the Neo fun police to keep my account safe from warnings.

Anyway, I came here to post something happy - after months of waiting, I finally got back into my melakafray side account. Yay, yay, yay :D :D But, it was with no help from Neo - I've had a ticket sitting open about this issue since 9/9. Initially, they did respond quickly (within a day), but not with helpful information. The ticket has sat there untouched since.

My issue was: I thought my ISP email was associated with this account and that my pw-request emails were bouncing. I had lost my pw because I killed my hard drive in late August, and my secondary place to save passwords was not updated with my most recent pw. When I explained this to Neo, they promptly emailed the pw to the account i said was blocking their mails, and then ignored my requests to send the pw elsewhere.

However, what I found out today was: 1-If you choose "I don't know my username" and ask for an email reminder, places that bounce Neo's pw/PIN recovery emails might let the email through. And, 2-that I was wrong in which email I thought was associated with my account. (To further drag out this already too-long story, my email used to forward mails to my main email account, but had stopped at some time that I didn't notice. It was this email that was attached to my Neo account, and all the emails were sitting there waiting for me this whole time.)

I do also have to add that I'm majorly pissed that Neo had changed my pw to something so obvious and easy to guess when they reset my word. I feel very lucky today that no one else got into my account during all this time that I couldn't access it. I would post the word itself here, but don't want to in case it's something that neo resets words to regularly.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Mellaka - I don't know, when resetting peoples' paswords it's often hard to reset it to something like HEIUefe@# because you don't want them getting confused about it and typing the wrong thing and then hassling you all over again because they can't tell the difference between an i and an L. If I'm resetting a student's password for them I tend to go with Purple123 or Orange123, since both of those words are easy to spell and don't rhyme with anything so they're hard to mispronounce. The whole point of having a password reset is that you should change it anyway, though I bet that 12 year olds don't bother resetting it I guess. (Actually, my password for this forum is something ridiculous like HUKKUCP because I couldn't be bothered changing it the last time I forgot it, so it's been like that for 3 years now or something.)

All this stuff about warnings for no reasons is making me terrified, though. I've got a couple of neomail RPs going on and I'm worried that I might accidentally say something bad in a neomail that only I and another adult neopet user would see. I'd hate for them to think that we were going to have the one on one sex show that is a 'party'.

In other news, UNIB finally hit 100, so I'm 2.5 million NP richer. Now it's time to sit on my pile of neopoints and say to myelf "MUA HA HA HA HA. I'm RIIICH"

FINALLY, did anyone see that TNT was like "we promised you a new spotlight and here it is - a level making spotlight fora flash game! oh joy joy joy"... THANKS, TNT. I'm sure those of us who make pretty petpages/petlookups/etc are going to be swimming in trophies from that!
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Well, I'll say their word was something like w0rd or ch4nge - a real, short pw-related word with obvious numbers replacing letters, that failed their own pw test. I would've been OK with 754change874 or something like that. I guess it also bothered me that it seemed like it could be a standard word that all accounts might be changed to.

Anyway, no harm, no foul I guess. I just hope others are as lucky if their words are changed to easy-to-guess words like mine was. And, still, yay about my account. :D
Madge

Post by Madge »

So, what, it was passw0rd I assume? (or p4ssword)

That's stupid of them to even bother to change it, though, since they don't hash the damn things. I will go on my mini-rant once more and say: THIS FORUM HASHES PASSWORDS, WHY WON'T TNT?
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

I just want to share a Neomail I received. I don't know whether to be concerned or amused.
Hello Boris, It is me Yuri back from the grave eh think I would never be back from mother Russia eh well good news, Hehehehe we have achieved the goal we have members from other nations ready, unthinkable right 5 years of planning for this but back to the topic at hand. I am in a terrible rush we have to hurry I am reminding everyone as we speak, remember the operation will commence at 10:00 pm nst we have everyone in position we are ready and watch out. This has taken very precise timing to plan, Costa has made sure the planning is accurate and we have had no leaks about the execution of the objective. We must not fail and or let anyone know, if anyone does figure out or we have a leak bluff or make some information up as to what is going on we have 10 members on each board ready to cause confusion.
From a username that is similar to "Bosnia" on what appears to be a shell account. What kind of plan involves Russia and NST?

Well, maybe I'll lurk the boards and see if anything happens at 10pm NST. ;P
invaderhorizongreen

Post by invaderhorizongreen »

i do not see why people have to do this just cause go find something more creative to do with your time than chain letter false alarms.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

4237 Lagon: Gooblah le Grarrl
Crique Secrète: L'Immonde Dan le Poignard
5676 NP 4:1 22704 NP
4237 Lagon: Gooblah le Grarrl
Île au Trésor: Le Gamin Tailhook
Crique Secrète: L'Immonde Dan le Poignard
5676 NP 32:1 181632 NP
Total des Gains 204336 NP
Food Club. First time in months I bother. Well, guess it paid out in the end.