Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Faun

Re: Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

Post by Faun »

I don't really have a permanent team at the moment. C: I just sort of switch them out all the time. I'm definitely going to have a scraggy though. :P
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

AngharadTy wrote:Okay, a new question--has anyone figured out a decent HM slave?
I'd like some input on this, too. I've only just gotten to the giiiiiiiant (and confusing!) city, so my team's still changing around a lot, but I'm trying to figure out who will be useful to train for cut/strength/etc.

So far, I'm really, really enjoying this game. I like the new dowsing machine. It's so much easier to use than the platinum version, since I don't have to remember to keep tapping the screen at regular intervals. I love double battles; I've been spending a lot of time running around in the grass, trying to catch more of those. I also need to head back into the forest after wandering around the city for a bit, because I want to catch a pansage. I still dislike the water monkey, but the grass and fire versions have started to grow on me.

It seems like my pokemon are leveling a lot more slowly in this game, but maybe I'm just getting impatient, or maybe the opponents are tougher. My poor zebra keeps fainting, even though he's the team member with the highest level right now. (Maybe that's just because he's not that great in battles, but I keep using him anyway, because I'm stubborn and want him to be a permanent team member.)
Madge

Post by Madge »

I played White through to the elite 4 using a japanese translation, and I only needed to use Cut and Strength maybe once or twice each.

You just don't need a HM slave like you did in other generations :)

Surf and Fly are exceptions, of course.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Hmph, I guess. I'm pretty used to the whole concept of HM slaves. At least my surfer will be a team member. And I don't mind carrying around an untrained swoobat foreverrrrrrr.

(Thanks!)

edit: NEW QUESTION. So are we going to be able to grow berries ourselves? I only have the ones rangers gave me after I beat them, and I realllllyyyyy neeeeeeeed the EV deleting berries. We get those, right?!
Image Image
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Supposedly we can only grow berries in Dream World, when it goes online in about a month. Which is slightly tedious, as I'd quite like to reset a few EVs myself - my Reuniclus has pretty nice stats - the lovely IV man told me it was exceptional.

Caught a few more things today. Most significantly, caught myself a Cobalion. :) Might try to catch Thundurus tonight - just so I can lob many a dusk ball while it's still night in my game. Also thinking about starting to evolve things to flesh out the dex. Somehow, I got two lucky eggs from three Happiny's I caught so... low levels are going to be looking forward to some Audino hunting. ;)

Need to decide what team I want to use for Black. :P My friend takes ages to play through the games. And he doesn't even have it yet so am probably just going to download. My dex needs completing!
Subeta: Thomas
Tiki
Human Avatar: 8869

Post by Tiki »

Um, yes, this is worth me posting yet again. >>;

So I got to the part where I can finally get a pair of Joltiks, and after only a few breeding tries I got super lucky with a Timid male, Compoundeyes. WOOT! So I head off to the forest with him holding a lucky egg intending to fight just one or two audinos and get him leveled up super quick, when...

SHINY AUDINO AHOY~~~

OMG OMG OMG I am fangirling SO hard today. :D She's a female with a neutral nature, so unfortunately she still won't be useful ever outside of in-game battle, but WHATEVER IT'S MY FIRST SHINY EVER. The original Mochi is now stuffed unceremoniously into a box and she is on the team instead. Not sure what I want to call her, something ridiculously cutesy though. I'm a dork who mentally RPs as the main character in each game, and I've decided my alter-ego chose an Audino as her "starter," hence the unusually weak pokemon on her final team. LOL.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Finally was able to capture Victini X_x Took me several turns to get him down to low enough hps without killing him and finally was able to get him down to like 1hp. However it still took me 10 ultra balls, 3 timer balls, and eventually he was caught with a Great ball after tossing about 15 of those at him in a last ditch effort since I didn't want to restart again.
Yay Victini!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Last night I mowed down Driftveil's gym with my lv.36 serperior (I love her screechy call). Easy as pie. But the gym fight with Elesa? Complete nightmare. Stupid emolgas. I just got to Chargestone Caves. Love the environments. I don't usually get to hear the music. I generally only play while on the train to and from school, so I turn the sound off to not bother other people.

Current team:
Spoiler: open/close
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Clover ----- Snips ----- Gloss ----- Snappy ----- Taboo ----- Facade

Taboo and Facade, maybe Snappy, are only temporary members, though incredibly helpful members. Snips will eventually be replaced with a litwick. And Gloss will be replaced with another joltik with compound eyes. I'm still not sure what pokemon I'm going to have in my last two spots. I may try to train my venipede to a scrolipede.

Sigilyph is huge, btw. Parts of it go off screen when battling. Completely surprised me.

Edit: Snappy evolved.
Fury

Post by Fury »

Maaaan, I need to get White. I looked at the case in GAME the other day and didn't feel an overwhelming desire to buy it but hearing you guys talk about it makes me want it!

One trivial question: In my local GAME, there were a few cases that had a different description on the back. One of them described the new world as Unova (which is what I've always heard it referred to as) but the other cases were more dull looking on the back (although the front was the same) and described the new world as "Alleos" or something? Does anyone know why this is?

ANYWAY

I think I'll pick this up tomorrow even though I should probably save myself a fiver and order it online. Pokemans, I love you.

EDIT: Just looking at the starters again and deciding which one I should go for - it's just reminded me how disappointed I am with Oshawott's final evo. It looks shitty. D: I think I'll go for Snivy!

Carracosta looks AMAZING, I want him for sure! Braviary is gorgeous too.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Bing tells me that Alleos was a beta name for Unova. I still think it's odd that they changed it from the Japanese Isshu, but Unova is better than Alleos, I think.
Image Image
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I stopped playing my original Japanese Black over a month ago, I think right before entering the Tower of Heaven. I haven't finished a Pokemon game since Leaf Green... but since I'm soon going to be spending time at my boyfriend's empty and entertainment-less new house, I'll bring the DS along and try to get back into it.

My team was... with english species names for less confusion:
Sid, Krookodile, 40
Remy, Zebstrika, 37
Ulysses, Litwick, 37
Nene, Sawsbuck, 35
Icky, Palpitoad, 32
Cocobat, Swoobat, 30 (using for Fly)
I had a 40+ Darmanitan too but I guess he is in a box to make room for the Fly-slave.
And doesn't it seem like everyone in the world is going to have Krookodile and Chandelure on their team?

I also caught my first ever shiny on here, a Deerling, but if I didn't see the sparkle at the beginning I wouldn't have noticed and killed it. It has a pink flower instead of yellow, woo. It's not worth evolving because its next form is just half a shade brighter than the normal thing, so it sits pretty in a box. c:
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

We got our pokemon in yesterday! Started playing it last night and been playing it on and off today. I'm really enjoying it so far. I like how all the sprites move and the way the battles are done. I feel I get more into the battles that way. Something I really love is how all the pokemon names and character names are now with the first letter capital and the rest lower case. I always hated how the names were in all caps. It never looked right to me and the names for my pokemon always stuck out. Now they are so nice and neat looking.
I do miss having the pokemon follow me. That was such a fun part in HG and SS. And I miss the auto running shoes. Though I've gotten use to pressing B to run.

I've only gotten one gym badge and just started down Route 3 so I'm not to far. I'm a bit slow when it comes to playing pokemon. I decided to play a boy and name him after my character Ryader. I like to imagine he's blind (like my character) and is lead around by his Snivy. :3
As for my team so far... Talexia the Snivy, Spank the Panpour, Rykos the Pidove, Siren the Blitzle and Taigia the Roggenrola. My team shall change as I go along. My snivy and blitzle are keepers though. I might change my mind on the others, not sure yet. The panpour is definitely not staying, I don't like any of the monkeys. He's just there as a water filler till I get a water pokemon I like. He has the name he does because I'm easily amused. 8D
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I just got through the ChargeStone caves and while pretty they were so annoying. I didn't have many repels/super repels on me and the monsters kept seeming to attack through the repel anyway. At least it was pretty to look at!

So far my party is as follows:
Rose the Victini - 31
Archen - 27
Servine - 29
Simipour - 31
Darumaka - 29
Excadrill - 31

I don't ever really name the pokemon unlike everyone else here it looks like :P Not even sure why I named my Victini really! I'm sad I had to get rid of my Herdier for now but there was no room for it sadly. I am also even sadder that the Archen can't learn flying until it evolves so I keep having to switch him out for my Tranquill.
And that stupid Simipour shall be leaving my party as soon as I get ahold of someone who can do water. Why is it wearing a diva dress?!

Also I am sad my Drilbur evolved. Good bye adorable little mole guy, you were loved.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Ughhh, I agree about the encounters in Chargestone Cave. And of course, while there, I wanted a Tynamo... which just wouldn't appear. e_e Even after clearing the whole cave without repels (also, sturdy? now most annoying ability ever) I still had to run around for ten minutes afterwards for one to appear.

Looking for a Cryogonal in Twist Mountain while it isn't Winter? Yeah, no chance, 1% encounter rate.

And continued bitching about Simipour. I encountered one in the Battle Subway yesterday. It outsped and proceeded to OHKO'd both my Excadrill and Chandelure. I was partnered in a CPU battle with poor Hilda, whose Conkeldurr and Sawk proceeded to fall before my eyes. Goodbye, victory 20.

Award for most bizarre cry this generation? Lampent. It sounds oddly like a small child and definitely creeps me out. Stunfisk looks and sounds like a giant poo.
Subeta: Thomas
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Aw, really? I love Lampent's cry. It's adorable. Every time I send it out it goes "WHEE!" I kind of wish it were creepier (to me), in way; I love the story behind that line, heh.

When I saw/heard my first Stunfisk, I burst into laughter. It sounds AND looks like a whoopee cushion.

I beat the last gym today, now slowly making my way through Victory Road. Why do I always hate Victory Road so much. Sooooo much. I usually have to stock up on repels to get through it just so I don't give up on playing the game. And there's one problem I have with the bag in this game: if I pick up an item, then try to go use a super repel again, it defaults to the sun stone slot. Like, it's saving my place, but not my selection. That is MUCH LESS HELPFUL THANKS.
Image Image