Transparent and Eventide Chomby

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
NeonDragonfly

Transparent and Eventide Chomby

Post by NeonDragonfly »

Image Image

I'm not a huge fan of the Transparent pets, but it is interesting to see their anatomy.
Eventide is pretty, I like the stars on the Chombys face and along the back spines, but the bluespot on its side seems out of place to me. Other than though though it looks good.
Kantark

Re: Transparent and Eventide Chomby

Post by Kantark »

It looks like they might've had a bit of difficulty in sorting out the anatomy of the Chomby, there's ribs going everywhere! A lot of empty space in the middle, too, which seems like a wasted opportunity to pack it with more gubbins. Meanwhile its neck is supported by, well, not a lot.

Eventide's not doing it for me... it's implemented well enough, and to the usual layout, but the Chomby's proportions mean there's a huge amount of light-blue and yellow on the body with only teeny bits of the night sky on the scales. The gradient shading is nice, especially on the tail. I agree the markings on the side look a little strange - the colouring is almost like they've been cut out and flipped horizontally.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

You would think that since the only thing we have left of actual dinosaurs are the bones they would be better at drawing a dinosaur with its bones showing?

And thanks Kantark, now all I can see is that neck snapping....
EofS

Post by EofS »

Marah wrote:You would think that since the only thing we have left of actual dinosaurs are the bones they would be better at drawing a dinosaur with its bones showing?
Good point well made.

Also, do interlocking teeth like that appear anywhere in nature? I would have thought you'd wear your jaw away quite quickly. I always assumed chombies were herbivores, but with those teeth I no longer know what to think.

I think they missed a trick not using the clouds (still small) in place of the patch on the side of eventide. The stars are very pretty though.
Lou 500

Post by Lou 500 »

The poor artist who had to draw all those bones.. looks like they forgot to add a rib on the left side while they were pulling their hair out.

Eventide is nice, though this one doesn't have the coloured outlines like the previous ones. Just solid black.
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Transparent looks pretty nice. The bones fit nicely, but the chest looks odd. That bone going from its leg across its chest looks really misplaced and awkward. The heart also seems to be too far down the body. It's interesting to note how the head has the markings, but the flank doesn't. It's pretty good overall, though.

Eventide is also nice. I really like how they did the plates on the back and the stars look pretty. The flank marking looks odd - perhaps it's due to the gradient. It looks really pasted on.

One thing that bothers me about both of these though is that they look very plastic-y. The highlights have never been this bright before, and it's especially distracting on the transparent.
I always assumed chombies were herbivores, but with those teeth I no longer know what to think.
They're definitely herbivores, as proved by the discovery of Tyrannia animation.

http://www.neopets.com/prehistoric/deadend.phtml
Scythemantis

Post by Scythemantis »

I love transparent, but sometimes it shows how the pets were designed with no thought for anatomy at all...even a stylized cartoon character should have some sort of skeleton in mind, it's where an artist is supposed to start from.

Why would the vertebrae fill up the entire neck anyway? Where would the trachea go? Most of that neck is really probably meant to be fat.