8-Bit and Strawberry Meerca

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
NeonDragonfly

8-Bit and Strawberry Meerca

Post by NeonDragonfly »

Image Image
The Strawberry Meerca's image isn't at the Rainbow Pool yet.

The 8-Bit Meerca looks ok, its face looks a little odd but still it's nice.
Strawberry is quite cute, I like the leafy tail and inner ears. It's really nice.
Gumdrops

Re: 8-Bit and Strawberry Meerca

Post by Gumdrops »

Strawberry is adorable. I'm surprised it didn't already exist before though.
Dying_Light07

Post by Dying_Light07 »

Wow, I find the Meerca is my favorite 8-Bit Neopet thus far. It's just so cute and I don't really like any of the others.

Strawberry is fantastic. I love what they did with the tail. Definitely a strawberry favorite and a great day for Meerca! Huzzah!
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

8-bit is SO CUTE

Though, as makes sense for the pixel work it is, I prefer the smaller version.

But it's super happy and basic. The meerca is simple enough that the pixel art works really well.
Pink is an interesting choice for a base color - but I guess it is close enough to red that it might be gender neutral.

Strawberry is kinda awesome, though I want it to be a cherry instead (tail as a stem). But the leafy tail is definitely well done and clever.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Gumdrops wrote:Strawberry is adorable. I'm surprised it didn't already exist before though.
So am I, the Meerca's just the right shape for Strawberry it seems like an obvious choice.

8-bit is probably the best we've seen - or at least the closest to a technically possible 8-bit sprite where most of the others would've been more feasible on a 16-bit system. Only 10 separate shades are used, it's very small (32px x 16px) and a simple but effective design. Excellent :-)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Bleh, i don't like the 8-Bit's head shape. But i guess that's just me.

I like Strawberry OK for the color, especially the tail. Mark me another one who's a little surprised it didn't exist before, but i would have remembered that tail.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

You mean you don't like his Forever-Alone-sized chin? pffft. (I don't either.)

I really like strawberry, though. I would have preferred, perhaps, to have the insides of the ears be light pink or white, like an unripe strawberry. But the tail more than makes up for that minor issue.
Image Image
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

It's more like its forehead is squished backwards. Meercas' snouts aren't that long. I wonder if moving that one "edge pixel" near its eye to the right would fix it for me.

My tweak - a little better, i think:
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

8-bit: It does look more 8-bit than most 8-bit pets, which tend to look more 16-bit. I agree that Fjorab's edit is better, as it prevents the head from looking indented. Also, the tooth barely looks looks like a tooth - in fact, I didn't even realize that's what that was until someone else pointed it out. Other than that, it's about average for this color.

tl;dr - Pretty nice, though the head is a bit misshapen

Strawberry: (This seems to be glitched - not only does the image not show up at the Rainbow Pool, but you can't paint your Meerca yet either.) One of the better Strawberry pets in my opinion. The colors and seeds are nicely placed, and I love the leafy tail.

tl;dr - One of the best Strawberry pets.