New plot: War of the Obelisk

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Re: New plot: War of the Obelisk

Post by Wingsrising »

Foghawk wrote:EDIT: Also, hm... which deadly sin is missing? I'm very curious about this.
I poked at Wikipedia and besides the aforementioned Lust, they're also missing Gluttony, as Death isn't a deadly sin. (Assuming Apathy = Sloth.)
Madge wrote:If it helps, I have been benefiting from the "play again" button and I still hate my life.
I found the boredom of waiting for the super-delayed Subeautique restock sort of balanced out the boredom of losing 300 times.
Last edited by Wingsrising on 16 Mar 2013 08:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Maybe Death = Gluttony + Lust???????

Come on, admit it! It makes an odd sort of sense.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I got my 300 losses in last night in case I didn't manage to do any more today, and while it would've gone fast with a Play Again button, I found it wasn't too bad. I figure I'll share this in case "play again" gets taken away for whatever reason - basically, when I finished a fight, I didn't hit "exit" (I tested both ways, and it wasn't necessary to press it for the win to register). Instead, I pressed backspace on my keyboard, which took me back to the battle setup page (equivalent to clicking on the Back button once), and from there it's only four clicks to start a new fight, I think ("continue", "challenger", difficulty selection and "battle").

Bif - originally, I wanted to get my wins and losses wholly in with my battle pet, and leave all the rest of my pets without a BD record, hence going for the "slow death" option rather than picking one of my punier pets. When I realised how tedious that would be with this set of battles, though, I abandoned all my principles and fought with my low-hp plushie ixi :) (I figured it makes sense that a soft toy can't win a fight.)
Fury

Post by Fury »

Losing 300 times is a very boring task... but I'm 30 losses away from filling my progress meter so I guess that's something.

Man, I wasn't planning on getting back into Neopets until this event popped up. I couldn't stay away! I hope the ending to this doesn't disappoint... does anyone have any ideas as to what TNT will come up with? Any guesses as to what the importance of the Obelisk is?
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

So apparently the boss HP is decreasing by time, not damage done (which is probably why they just require us to get our 300 losses and move on). Someone charted it yesterday, and common consensus on the neoboards is that everybody already knew. If this is true (I'm not sure, although it looks plausible -- it would explain why we only have to get 300 losses to do our part instead of do a certain amount of damage, and it would enable TNT to end this at a set time), then the ending is predetermined. I'm still expecting a possible megaboss that all of us will have to team up to fight, though. Seems in keeping with the "everybody wins" philosophy.

Here is a topic tracking boss HP levels -- they are all very close. That would support the above theory (I'd expect the factions with more members or the ones with a higher percentage of big battlers to be doing much better than others).
Fury

Post by Fury »

Cranberry wrote:So apparently the boss HP is decreasing by time, not damage done (which is probably why they just require us to get our 300 losses and move on). Someone charted it yesterday, and common consensus on the neoboards is that everybody already knew.
Hmm that's interesting! I obviously haven't been hanging around the boards enough to catch wind of this.

I've been trying to deal as much damage as possible in each fight hoping that it would count a little more towards bringing down the boss/getting more points. Perhaps I could have saved myself a few rounds each battle if I'd not bothered with Magical Marbles of Mystery/Healing/Downsize. Not to worry, I'm nearly done now and am excited to see the outcome of all of this!

(P.S. The boss for The Seekers, Apathy, is very cute indeed.)

Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Apathy is my spirit animal.

I finished my 300 losses yesterday - I found it to be much less repetitive if you shrink the window to half it's size and pull up another window to watch a video.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Apathy is cute.. but take a look at the Ixi of Death!

It's the cutest Death I've ever seen, it appears that Cupid found himself short of work after Valentines Day so decided to take up a second job carting Neopets off to the afterlife. He's got his little bow and everything, scythes must be out of fashion. So maybe Death = Lust after all, Madge :-P

Any ideas on Greed's species? He looks like a Meerca with no tail, or possibly a Wocky (I'm hoping Wocky, the whole 'fat cat' thing would be nice.)

Glad to see the 'Play Again' button, I've got two Jean-Michel Jarre albums to see me through hopefully the next ~150 battles tonight. Can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night!

EDIT: Scrub that - I broke something. Now all I'm getting is 'The NPC ID is invalid' which doesn't sound good!(and the Mysterious Outskirts' page has gone back to its pre-battle sign-up state, oddly)
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I decided to fill the bar. Didn't take as long as I thought it would because I switched to my current labbie who has less than 20 HPs.
EofS

Post by EofS »

It's a shame that they've misquoted Monty Python in the achievement name, since they clearly intended it to be a reference.

(I've switched to my bookworm pet rather than ruin either battle pet's stats. It does mean I'm hardly doing any damage though, which is annoying.)
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

I'm very surprised the Brute Squad appears to be in third place. I had a feeling either the Thieves or the Order would get first because they both seemed really popular from the start, but to me it sounded like everyone passed on the Brutes almost immediately. I guess they're the fighting...est faction of all the fighting factions, so maybe that drew a lot of the big battlers. I thought their story/motivation was the least compelling of the six, so maybe I'm just projecting.

I guess my issue with that team is what would they even do if they won it all? I have the same complaint about the Awakened. Seems like they're just fighting for the sake of fighting.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Madge

Post by Madge »

Finally got the last ~120 defeats whilst watching The Junior Apprentice on half my screen. Took me 40 minutes. Glad that's finally over!!!!!
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

Kantark wrote:Apathy is cute.. but take a look at the Ixi of Death!

It's the cutest Death I've ever seen, it appears that Cupid found himself short of work after Valentines Day so decided to take up a second job carting Neopets off to the afterlife. He's got his little bow and everything, scythes must be out of fashion. So maybe Death = Lust after all, Madge :-P
Sorry to post again, but I just have to put this here.
krawkward: (http://krawkward.tumblr.com/)

neopets can’t die, the only way they die is if the account they’re on is frozen/purged

and as dating/sexuality/romantic RPs cause 95% of freezes

it’s only natural death would be a fucking cupid
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Greed, Envy and Wrath have all now been defeated, seemingly permanently. If you're fighting one of the remaining bosses (Apathy, Pride, Cupideath) and still need a few victories to max out your bar, then hurry!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

And they fell in the order that user predicted in the graphing thread! Now it'll be interesting to see how scores work -- killing the boss first was apparently worth some points, but doesn't guarantee that a team will win it all.