Meerca - done?

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
Trouble

Meerca - done?

Post by Trouble »

Yup, Meerca Day is coming up, and I feel the urge to try for the Art Gallery...

This is obviously not the finished version. I still need to polish the lineart a bit, and then start to worry about the background/colours.

I was thinking about making it an Island Meerca, and add a beach/island/palm trees inside the circle. Nothing too fancy. Or should I place a petpet/petpetpet somewhere in the picture, add a few more flowers and make it very bright and colourful?

Any ideas? Comments? Does the anatomy seem to make sense? Are any parts of it too small/big? Should I drop the circle/frame around the Meerca, or does it look like it could work? Does the Meerca look happy, or just as if it is on Neocrack? ;p

Last edited by Trouble on 02 Aug 2006 11:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." -Adams
Dead Webby

Post by Dead Webby »

Holy crap, I haven't seen Meerca art in a long time.

I like the idea of a beach with palm trees inside the circle, I think that would work well. At first I got a bit confused with the tail and the circle, but i'm sure it will look clear once coloured. I can't see anything wrong with the anatomy, it looks fine.
Thanks VanillaCoke for the Set.
Ava

Post by Ava »

Love it. Very cute and the circle idea is really neat. I agree with Webby. The island idea would be cool, maybe making some palm trees curve along the circle that you have just outside its borders with the beach and water and coconuts in the background. Very nice and can't wait to see it colored. Hope you get in!
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Love the line art - smooth, consistent and flawless. Which tablet do use btw? (asuming you are using one)

No corrections needed whatsoever. Facial expression is very suitable for Meerca - no neocrackness. And I like the island idea as well. And do keep the circle around - it provides aditional simetry, and simetry is always attractive to look at ;)
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Trouble

Post by Trouble »

Whoa, I can't believe I've actually worked on a picture two days in a row ;p

Thanks a lot for your comments! :) Very nice to get some feedback!
Zebru; I use a two years old Wacom tablet, the cheapest one I could find at the time ;p

I've added a few details, but I feel like there should be some more green stuff and perhaps a little red. More flowers or bird petpets or neggs, perhaps. The blue background is just temporary, I think.

I'm not going to make it an Island Meerca, but a Meerca with Island details... I hate the blue patterns on the Island Meerca, so I decided to go with the standard tan markings. Those are not finished, BTW.

I know I have a LOT of work to do with shading/highlighting, and I'm especially dreading the tail =/ The whole picture looks flat and a bit boring at the moment, but I'm working on it. Then I need to add some texture to the sand, and probably close the mouth again...

...I talk too much. Anyway, progress:

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." -Adams
Paint

Post by Paint »

I think it's looking really good. I especially like the blue flowers on the border, they look very good.

I haven't seen Meerca art in forever.... It's good that you're doing some, and so well! O.O

Keep up the good work =D

Many thanks to the wonderful Tiel for the set.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I like your choice of not using the light blue. The picture is looking really good, I love the circle.

The dark blue is growing on me though, what other colour did you had in mind?
Trouble

Post by Trouble »

Thank you and thank you :D

Marah: I just thought I'd see how it looked without being all white, so I picked a random colour from the palette. But now I'm so used to it that I think I'll keep it like that :p

I think I'm done. That is; I'll let it sit on my computer for a few days and then have a long good look at it again and see if I'm still satisfied. The only thing I'm not certain about is whether I should add white/tan markings, or leave it as it is...

Opinions? Other comments?
goofy_love_

Post by goofy_love_ »

I like it more that the first one- I think the flower got me... and the shells are really cute- I like it!
ImageImage
Ava

Post by Ava »

I love it! It came together very nicely. I don't really think that it needs the markings, though the flower is a very nice touch and I think that gives it sufficient detail without it being too busy. Great work and good luck getting in!

Edited because I can't spell
Last edited by Ava on 03 Aug 2006 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerlilyleah

Post by tigerlilyleah »

I love it! I think adding markings might be a bit too much detail, and it looks great without it anyway :D Best of luck getting in!
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Congrats on getting in!! :D Well deserved!
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Congrats on getting in! I hope you got something good :O
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Congrats too, I hope it was a good win!
Trouble

Post by Trouble »

Thanks again! :D Didn't get in on Meerca Day, but I figured I'd try entering it once more just in case, and...! *squeeee*

Got a Whinny for the effort, as well as the trophy, so I'm more than pleased right now. Shiiiiny trophy! :D