New neopets layout

Post anything new on Neopets here.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

Well, the reason TNT has, at least for implementing the new layout is that it's based on a content management system that is easier for them to administrate. Easier to use= less time consuming=need less staff= costs less money.
And if they don't have nine different pet poses anymore but only one, the artists will have a lot less to do when coming out with new colours, especially if there won't be differently posed redraws anymore.
LΟL
Kuschelfloh

Post by Kuschelfloh »

I just checked all my other pets on my sides and... OMG they ruined ALL ROYAL PETS! o__O;

The royal male lupe is HIDEOUS. Same with the Girl Cybunny and the girl Kougra. NOt to mention the usuki boy usul o__O; OMG

I mean I already didn't play anmore but this is insane.

The new layout is no prob, it's the fact that they destroyed all their high profile pets, such as royal and draiks and krawks. And the players that had those spend a lot of effort.

I can see the premium cancellations before me... lol

Well that's it then. Goodbye Eftelding, my dear Neopet. :( Dead. :(
Bif

Post by Bif »

I've just had a horrible thought - there will be no more NEW redraw colours. Pets will be released in new colours only as - this is the base colour, and these are the clothes.

OMG! NO NO NO NO NO!!! Neocolours is almost based on redraws! *crys*

I like the new layout - I hate the customisation!!
Lucifer_Apollyon

Post by Lucifer_Apollyon »

rebelheart wrote:Well, the reason TNT has, at least for implementing the new layout is that it's based on a content management system that is easier for them to administrate. Easier to use= less time consuming=need less staff= costs less money.
And if they don't have nine different pet poses anymore but only one, the artists will have a lot less to do when coming out with new colours, especially if there won't be differently posed redraws anymore.
So, money is more important to TNT than their players? That's nothing new. We'd known the site was going in this direction for a fairly long time. Pity it had to come so soon. It's too late for them to bow out gracefully, but they'll definitely go out with a bang, it just won't be in a fiery blaze of glory. More like a sputtering half start of a flame.
Bif wrote:I've just had a horrible thought - there will be no more NEW redraw colours. Pets will be released in new colours only as - this is the base colour, and these are the clothes.

OMG! NO NO NO NO NO!!! Neocolours is almost based on redraws! *crys*

I like the new layout - I hate the customisation!!
We aren't based on redraws. We're based on colors! All of them! But, I don't see the site continueing in the same way it was. I don't know what the future holds for neopets, but Neocolours will continue marching on to the beat of its own drum. :D That's what's so great about this place.
Bif

Post by Bif »

We aren't based on redraws. We're based on colors! All of them!
That's true, I may have over reacted - it's just that total redraws are so much more fun to critic than colour fills.
Lucifer_Apollyon

Bif wrote:
We aren't based on redraws. We're based on colors! All of them!
That's true, I may have over reacted - it's just that total redraws are so much more fun to critic than colour fills.
Then we'll just critique Subeta's redraws or Pony Islands new breeds. As I said, we march to the beat of our own drum. We aren't neopets dependent. Sure, this site and forum may have started to critique neopets art, but we can do whatever we want. :)
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

A fun experiment to try! :P

Ingredients: Christmas zafara, basic-color zafara, Halloween paint brush (it's a slightly expensive experiment, but I'm not in the mood to care)

1. Remove halo and wings from Christmas zafara (henceforth referred to as Fluffy).
2. Repeat step 1 until it actually works, whether because they fixed it or because you messed with the preset thingies. You should now have five each of halos and wings in your customization inventory.
3. Apply accessories to basic-color zafara (henceforth referred to as Yurble*)
4. Paint Yurble Halloween.
5. Remove all Halloween accessories and put Christmas ones back.
6. Attempt to give Fluffy the Halloween robe and get an error message: "You may not save with items applied to other pets. Halloween Zafara Black Robe - Yurble_pet370"
7. Grumble a bit. Transfer Yurble to a side account to see what will happen.

Results, at the moment: Fluffy shows up as a Christmas zafara minus accessories in quickref, userlookup, and customization, and with accessories on petlookup. Yurble shows up as a Halloween zafara minus accessories in customization and petlookup and with the Christmas accessories in quickref and userlookup. Fluffy has all accessories available in customization (but can't save with the Halloween ones) but Yurble has only the Halloween ones.

Conclusion: Petlookups are glitchy. Customization may be glitchy, or it may have been fixed now and what I've got is leftovers (if this is the case, I hope Yurble doesn't get changed back!)

*I'm wishing now I'd held out for a better name, but zafaras are uncommon in the pound and I didn't want to create one and be stuck with it for a week.
Crystal Firefly

Post by Crystal Firefly »

I can't even view pet lookups anymore. If I try it just says "This Neopet's name has been deemed inappropriate." Where is the search bar now anyway?

What I don't get is why some of my pets are already customisable and the other 2 I have to choose to do so. Thats the most annoying part of this change. Fortunatly for me my pets actually look good customisable...but I'm not sure if the pet I was saving for is actually worth saving for anymore.
Bif

Post by Bif »

Was the 'Create-a-Pet' page always like this? Or is this the new layout. If so - then we get to keep the old pet art?

Then we'll just critique Subeta's redraws or Pony Islands new breeds.
I don't use Subeta and this is the first time I've ever heard of Pony Island... wow, it's cool, I'll have to have a good look at it! Thanks!
Lucifer_Apollyon

Bif wrote:Was the 'Create-a-Pet' page always like this? Or is this the new layout. If so - then we get to keep the old pet art?

Then we'll just critique Subeta's redraws or Pony Islands new breeds.
I don't use Subeta and this is the first time I've ever heard of Pony Island... wow, it's cool, I'll have to have a good look at it! Thanks!
I'd suggest reading this here:

http://www.kamil.slashcity.com/forum/vi ... f6f3865699

It covers some of the nitty-gritty of the site. :D
sureq

Post by sureq »

Fortunatly for me my pets actually look good customisable...but I'm not sure if the pet I was saving for is actually worth saving for anymore.
Problem exactly. We might be able to keep the pets we have has original, but any cool ones we were saving up for...we have to get them in this customizable state now?

I've been steaming about this all night, here I am all proud of my pets and the fact i nearly have enough for another royal and whammo, all meaningless. IF they make it so we can have original art for new pets, I'll calm down, I won't hold my breath though.

I want my damn alien aisha to walk on two legs. It isn't an alien anymore, its a dopey cat playing space man. I want my female krawk to not look like a transvestite.

BARGH!!!

*goes to play guild wars*
ImageImage
Fish

Post by Fish »

When I first saw this thread, I immediately toted my ass over to Neopets. I haven't been on in four months except to check the news out a few times, mostly when someone said something interesting was happening. I did dress up my Krawk a bit, to see what he looked like, and laughed. "Spencer, you are not a klutzy teen," I told him.

Now he is. My badass man-Krawk looks like he's trying to punch himself in the face. It just makes me feel ill. Spence and my other pets aren't really Neopets anymore, not the way I think of them, but their characterizations are just... gone. No more Krawk-paws. They have FINGERS now. I loved the little claws, they could be so easily turned into viciously taloned paws. Now it's just... sad. I only know what my mara Hissi will look like, but thankfully she's been given the option. It just blows me away.

Neopets is about the money now, and what have they done? They have kiddified everything. They are driving away and sending to extremes of emotions their adult and teenage players. In effect, <B>they are driving away the members that can pay</b>. How the FUCK does this work in their minds? "Let's make everything cute, so the adults will pay for premium to get new and exciting features that help them buy... a normal-base pet with pink faerie wings." Wow. It's the most stupid train of thought I have ever seen. At the very least while doing this they should have drawn up some "adult" style art, maybe without clothing options, that stay true to some of the pets' more vicious, bratty, sly, or otherwise "un-child-friendly" natures. I mean, what does the mutant Koi look like now? It was the single most violent image on the site... I bet it's happy to see you, now.

-Sigh-

The only good thing I can say is that it's intriguing. I want to rejoin again on a new account, make pets that don't look like shit, cover them in clothes, and send them on Ye Olde Neopiane Adventure, in the 'Times. I can finally have a non-Christmas Kougra with a cowl! ... At the cost of some of the most beautiful art Neopets has ever pumped out.

For shame, Viacom. For shame.
<B>highly</b>FLAMMABLE<I>animal</i>
<a href="http://subeta.org/userinfo.php?user=158800">See: Feezl</a>
Feathercircle

Post by Feathercircle »

Wingsrising wrote:For you, maybe. It's hardly insignificant for all the people who have spent a lot of money on paint jobs that now look horrible.

Also, based on reports on PPT, the new layout is very very hard on people who have poor vision or who still have dial-up. It's not insignificant for them, either: in fact, for some of them it may make it impossible to play. I understand the load times on 56k are very long.
I don't have poor vision, but I'm sensitive to large amounts of whitespace. The site actually HURTS for me to navigate, now, thanks to the sidebar changes. None of my pets aside from the Desert Usul got hit all that badly (and a few, like the Chocolate Skeith, are admittedly an improvement), but I can't play if the site is going to constantly give me headaches.

I'm going to wait out a week or two to see if they realize the problems with some of these changes, but if it doesn't improve... I'll post the list of poundstuck pets that I've been hoarding and give my accounts to anyone here who wants them.

God, I wish I hadn't had such horrible experiences at Subeta. It'd be nice to have somewhere to run to right now.
Fish

Post by Fish »

I'm runnning on a half-working 56k (usually runs at 26k) in the middle of nowhere... Neopets' loading times aren't significantly worse than they used to be. It loads just a bit slower than Wajas and Subeta, for me, probably because of all the animations. However, it keeps breaking randomly.

I made a new account. I'm a glutton for punishment.

-Shrug-
<B>highly</b>FLAMMABLE<I>animal</i>
<a href="http://subeta.org/userinfo.php?user=158800">See: Feezl</a>
Anna the Red

Post by Anna the Red »

Well, well, well, look at what I found:
Well well look what we have here. Looks like tnt gave us a new layout. Don't fret or quit yet. Neopets is only doing this for the week so if you don't like it just wait a while. i am sure it will clear up. Come on. Smile. :)
Found on PPT. It's on the front news page, and I've generally found them to be quite reliable, but most of the people discussing it is saying that it's unlikely they'll change back.

And of course, even if they change the layout bak, there's still the god-awful pet art. I got off easy in that respect, as Mossy looks a little more like I picture him in my head with the new art, and Geerion's a lab rat. I really lost out on the Usukigirl Usul though. She was my favourite pet too.

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/vtgk3vt4/1/2

Ew. Ew. Ew. Luckily I have the option to not convert her.