Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Goldenchaos

Re: Pokemon Generation V Thread/Discussion

Post by Goldenchaos »

(..so, the japanese version of the game was fully fan translated..months ago, and it's not bad!. This is the ROM version, of course.)

It's what I've been playing. The one thing that I would've loved for it to have is the Pokemon following you around, AND the automatic running shoes. Which was SO conveniently awesome in HG and SS. Battling is the same old thing. I like also that you can have more than three wonder cards at a time. The animated battles are rather cool... it's also neat that when Pokemon are put to sleep, they shut their eyes. And when you hit the red in battle, the music changes..same for when the gym leader sends out their last pokemon. It makes for an intense feeling battle.

Also. When you throw out a pokemon in battle, it will either land on the ground, or float.. if it lands on the ground, it either will land softly, if its not a heavy pokemon, or, land with a loud thud and a cloud of dust underneath it if its very heavy. :D nice touch, I think. Oh, you do eventually start encountering older gen Pokemon...and they are all at pretty high levels too..xD so..ah, be sure to be ready for that.

I havent tried the extra nifty things on it, mostly because those areas arent translated.

I do wish they had added more in terms of in-game graphics .. http://kymotonian.deviantart.com/art/Ho ... -190655540 THIS...for the battle backgrounds (The artist has more, btw!) A stark jump from the usual, would've shown that BW is the NEW generation..

I'll likely get White, again, since it's what I had been playing, plus I like Zekrom a lot more. :o
Image Image
ImageImage
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I was playing the rom back when the games first came out in Japan. Of course, only the battles were translated then (and it ran like crap on my laptop). I quit once I got to the big 3D city, because I hated not being able to read what was going on. But I'm so stoked for these games to come out next week. I just pre-ordered Black earlier.

But that environment you linked is awesome. Why didn't they do that (there's no reason for them to not have)? It looks so much more dynamic. :( This makes me sad.
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Heh, I was thinking earlier that that'd probably be the next step for generation VI or the next remake - more immersing/connected battle transitions. What do people think of the chances of a generation III remake during gen V? I'm kind of on the fence about it. I'd definitely be for it and I can't really see where else they can take the games without introducing another generation.
Subeta: Thomas
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I'd like to see Gen 3 remakes. If only to see what upgrades they can do to the soundtrack. RSE has the best music, and I'd love to see what they can do with DS era music technology. Actually what I really think would be awesome, is if they made a combined version of Gen 1 and 3. Something where you have to play through each region individually, but then once you beat them you can travel between the two and do more cool stuff or something.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

They'd make so much money if they combined those three games.
Image Image
ImageImage
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Well, i've decided that i'll wait until the inevitable "gray" version comes out, or if not then get black when i dig my DSi out of the mass of boxes we still haven't gone through (or get impressed enough with the 3DS to justify the insane price - doubtful, but it does look cool).

There are a few nice new creatures in this generation, but i think i'll still mostly favor the classics (with the addition of a new one and Lucario).
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

Picked up my copy of White earlier and have managed to log over 7 hours already. xD I'm really enjoying it so far; first half an hour or so was a slog but it got better after that and now it's great fun.

I'm about to clear out the Desert with a team of:
Dewott
Bliztle
Herdier
Sigilyph
Tranquill (place-holder)
Throh (place-holder)

Sigilyph is newly caught and I haven't tested it out yet. Abolsute bastard to catch, though, first I spent about half an hour looking in the wrong place, then found out that not only are they pretty rare, they also carry Whirlwind. The one I finally snagged was the fifth one I'd found. It's replacing Tranquill which was working ok but not good enough. I'm going to replace Herdier with Sawsbuck and Blitzle with Galvantula when I can. Fifth spot is reserved for Braviary and I'm not sure about number six.

I decided on impulse that I was going to catch every new species I come across (so I'm probably behind where my playtime says I should be) and I'm only missing Mushurna (shaking grass, Dreamyard) and Liligant (shaking grass, Pinwheel Forest). Was debating going back for them but have now decided I'll just get the first stages and evolve them if I want, to save box space.

Also, Audino is a God when it comes to levelling. I think the first one I fought was was a L8 one versus my L8 Pidove. Got like 600 EXP. They're bulky as hell but not very good at offense and it doesn't take long to get a shaking patch. Rinse and repeat.
Faun

Post by Faun »

I've decided I want black, but I'm not sure when I'll get it. My birthday is in April so maybe then. Although, it seems as if my dad is hinting about getting me it (saying things like "Hey, pokemon black and white came out today. Which one would you want?") so I'm hoping that I might get it sooner. :P
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Im getting White.. I don't know I will meet any Pokemon fans when I do.. so far, not a lot of people have shown up for those Pokemon download events out here in Houston D:
Image Image
ImageImage
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Heh, I got my copy of white yesterday and am really enjoying it too. :D Easily up there with Platinum, so far, as favourite in the series (I liked Soul Silver but... something felt kinda lacking to me - I know it was trying to stay true to gen II but... things like, the distribution of pokemon in Johto. It feels like you barely see any gen II pokes during the first half of the game. And the levels of things too). I've clocked up just over 11 hours of gameplay so far and have just beaten the fourth gym. Spent a while catching Sandiles for a Moxie/good nature - was lucky and got an Adamant in about 15. Which isn't really lucky. But I was just looking for something which boosted either speed or attack, while not taking away from the other so. Spent a while earlier looking for nicely natured Solosis and Minccino. Got a Modest and Naughty - couldn't be bothered to keep looking. But did have Magic Guard and Technician, which was also a requirement (why did they give Solosis Overcoat and Magic Guard? Hmmm!) Oooh. And I got an Adamant Dewott on my first try. I was planning to make it physically inclined due to Swords Dance access - so that was pretty nice.

So yeah, team at the moment:
Tsar the Dewott
Guava the Drilbur (level 30 atm, so going to evolve, fweeee)
Chevron the Krokorok
And Minccino and Solosis which I cba to go back through the desert and give nicknames to yet. ;)
Subeta: Thomas
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Picked up my two versions this morning after I woke up too early and couldn't get back to sleep. I've decided to put my twitter account to use and start making nerdy tweets about pokemon :D http://twitter.com/#!/johweh, if you'd like to follow the nerdiness.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I got my White at Target, hovering around the door until they officially opened and then got the first sale of the day. ^_^

I'm really liking it so far. I spent a while catching Munnas; I have a timid one with forewarn and a modest one with synchronize. I think I'll go with the modest one. Even though it'll be slow as hell. I don't care, it's freaking awesome. I accidentally got into a rival fight with my starter unhealed, so I only really had my underleveled Munna to face off against it, and it ended up winning handily. How sweet is that? Yawn is a lifesaver, hahaha.

I also got a female Snivy, so hey, that's not bad. I can breed them for people once I get to be able to put two pokemon into the daycare.

My only real complaint... I do not want to see the c-gear constantly. I miss the poketch soooooooooo much. So many uses...! And mostly I just left it on my team roster. I always want to see my team members! And sometimes poke them and have them make noise! What the hell do I care about IR and wireless functions. I don't know anyone local who likes pokemon. Plus having it on is battery drain, so I leave it off, and... well, that just looks sad and lonely.

It's not a game-killer, but... ehhh. I don't like it. It is a huge downgrade from the poketch, to me.

(I do have some other minor complaints, like being unable to always advance conversations/menus by tapping the bottom screen, which I've really gotten used to in SS; the bottom screen seems kind of an afterthought for anything other than the c-gear, I guess, so maybe that complaint is tied in. Also, heh, the 3D battle thing doesn't really do anything for me; when the sprites shrink to show that they're farther away, it looks squashy, and when they expand to show they're closer, I can count the pixels. But that doesn't bug me, it's just silly.)
Image Image
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

I got white, and a female Oshawott. Which is what I was aiming to do.

I went to Toys R Us, since you got a free game kit with the game, plus a second DS game was half off, so I went ahead and got Black, ANd they gave me another game kit, so its alll good.

My husband and I walked through the mall afterward, and passed by Gamestop, which had a line out the door..I think they were all there for the BW...O_o which is funny, since TRU had a whole bunch of them.
Image Image
ImageImage
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I got Black at Target a few hours ago. I couldn't wait another week and a half for Amazon to bring it to me. But we had to go out there anyway, so it really wasn't a waste of gas. Target also had this set of picture cards free when you purchased a game, so I got those too. They're cute, though not very useful. Also, got a female Snivy, though I had to restart several times for that.

I also got my Celebis yesterday, and the GS employee was ragging on me for ordering a copy from Amazon. "But will Amazon get you your game TONIGHT?!" No, but only a psycho would get a game at a midnight release. I'd rather sleep, thank you. I've come to dislike in-store pokemon downloads for this reason. I don't preorder games when Target will definitely have them anyway.

Also, Ty, I miss the poketch too. It was really handy. I also liked the menu for HGSS. My bottom screen is currantly a blank pink with no options. I liked my options; give me options back. D:
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I'm kind of pissed at Game Stop. We preordered our games there and they didn't even BOTHER to tell us that they were having a midnight release - they just said they'd be open at 9 AM. Honestly, Lindsey and I _ARE_ the kind of people that gladly would have stayed up til 12, gotten our games and stayed up a few hours playing and just slept in, rather than getting up early to go to the store at 9 AM and get them. Ugh. We NEVER shop at GameStop in the first place, but this has definitely convinced me to not preorder my games there anymore x_x