First-time Pixelly Art? (Non-neopets)

Post finished and unfinished work here for critique and appraisal.
cartahirudinus

First-time Pixelly Art? (Non-neopets)

Post by cartahirudinus »

Take a look? It's very small, made on MS Paint, and semi-quick to do - it only took...an hour? Yeah...I'm very efficient. ^^;;

Anyways, the character is a macabre. You can see a default macabre here. They're just doodles that I like to do. *shrugs* I haven't come up with a name for this one, but she's fairly normal except for an irrational fear of penguins. Because they want to take over the world. :wink: Her's hair's supposed to be more feathery, but I couldn't figure out how to do feathery in Paint...

How can I improve this, besides the completely lazy background? (Because, being the first pixel-art I've done, I'm sure it could be improved.) I suppose you could try anatomy critiques, but since they're completely un-anatomical, I'm not sure how far you'll get with that. ^^; Also, how do you do the "shine" in hair in pixel art? I tried to imitate the zigzaggy dodged kind you do on Photoshop, but it just looked strange. Any suggestions?
Last edited by cartahirudinus on 09 Mar 2006 06:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
...hi?

Manager (though not proprietor) of <a href="http://www.ladansemacabre.net/">LaDanseMacabre</a>.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Cute. I can't offer much help, I haven't drawn anything in ages, other than her body looks a bit pillow shaded(too rounded and uniform) and the teeth could use some anti aliasing(aa). <a href="http://www.spriteart.com/main.html">This</a> is by far the best tutorial site I've found so far. It hasn't been updated in a while, but most of the basics are up. Everything you see there, aside from the links, was pixeled by him and I've even seen the progress of the dragon before the Pixelation community died. You should also check out Morganne, Gas13, Zoggles, SplatPixel, and gunstar-red on DeviantArt. *frolics*