Glowing and 8-Bit Chomby

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Re: Glowing and 8-Bit Chomby

Post by Wingsrising »

Unexpected 8-bit color is unexpected.

Not my cup of tea, but it's creative. I'll be interested to see how dress-up works with it.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

I'm afraid I'm a negative Nelly. My first reaction when looking at 8 bit was "why did they insist on converting all pets to customization again?" I mean, I assume this colour is going to be like mutant and maraquan and is going to need its own set of clothes.

Not a fan, but it is creative, hurrah for that.
luvas

Post by luvas »

Split second reaction was "WT*! I thought TNT said NO UC COLOR!?"
5 Minute reaction was 'Must be an attempt by the artists to make a low-effort color'
But seeing the posts and the nostalgia I guess I can get used to the 8Bit colour. It does remind me a lot of Yoshi from the good ole' days :)

That being said, anyone got a picture of the 8Bit Chomby without clothes? I got an idea... :O
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

How exciting and original!

No, that was not sarcasm.

That wasn't either, I swear.

Finally, a pet I can draw!
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Glowing's good, nothing wrong with it but much as you'd expect.

8-bit? No, no, no... this isn't right at all! As someone who grew up in the era of 8-bit computers I really, really want to like this. There's plenty of retro 8-bit stuff in poular culture nowadays so I can see why TNT are jumping on the bandwagon, and to be honest it's a pretty interesting concept. But I don't see how this works as a Neopet. It's two-dimensional, it can't possibly exist in Neopia the same way as, say, a robot or transparent pet could. The only other similar colour I can think of is Sketch, and even they look fairly three-dimensional since customisation.

To elaborate, since I wrote that at 1am and it doesn't make any sense... the 8-bit Chomby looks like a Chomby rendered as a sprite from an 8-bit* games system, right? That you would only see on a screen, plugged into a computer/console? That is a concept alien to all parts of Neopia with the exception of the Space Station. You could never see this walking down the street in Neopia Central, so I can't see where it fits in. The only similar character that springs to mind is Neopet V2, which lives only on Virtupets computer screens.

* my first reaction was 'that's 16-bit', too. But I'm used to 8-bit stuff on home computers (BBC, Spectrum, Amstrad, C64 etc.) where you were lucky to be able to have more than 16 colours on-screen at once, and you could forget any kind of hardware sprite support. A quick look at Wikipedia and it looks like you'd be able to make the Chomby on a Sega Master System quite easily (16-colour sprites, 64-colour palette), but on the NES it looks like it'd be a programming nightmare. Most of the colours look at least similar to the 8-bit consoles' gamut, though... Argh... I should be doing the garden...
Last edited by Kantark on 22 Mar 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
lklaw

Post by lklaw »

How do you know that the clothes come off?
invaderhorizongreen

Post by invaderhorizongreen »

wow not what i was expecting with the 8 bit ahh the memories it brings back glowing is still boring i would love glowing more if the glow was a different color.
ShadowHoundoom
Human Avatar: 376364

Post by ShadowHoundoom »

a;jddslkaj

8-Bit.
That's like...the greatest color ever.
I'm an extreme video game nerd. XD I love the old 8-bit games.

But darn, lab ray only? I totally never bothered finishing the map...but I just might have to for that color. I need a pet in it.
I really hope it's not an April Fools joke. XD Gotta admit, that's pretty creative for a pet site.

And thus, Glowing is Glowing.
Subeta/deviantART/Neopets
~Icon by Keshi~
DamionDarkheart

Post by DamionDarkheart »

Love the 8-bit and it being lab only. My only gripe is that this is clearly 16-bit. I can tell because of some of the pixels and from having seen QUITE a few of these in my day.

Yay pixelated goodness
"Blah blah blah into the pie, bitch." Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Although sketch will probably never sit right with me, I can imagine that 8-bit pets are made of animate Legos, which isn't weird at all.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Hah, i saw this on Neopets' Facebook and thought it was a joke! I'm glad there are still some more interesting (or amusing) colors coming out. I hope this doesn't mean that the previous cool detailed colors get neglected though.

As for Glowing, i think it's an appropriately rendered pet of this color. :-)
Shiny Neomysterion

Post by Shiny Neomysterion »

That 8-bit Chomby looks rather 16-bit in my eyes if you ask me.
A.K.A.: D-Pad Doc, Neomysterion, The Plushie Ultimatum, and Dr. Meepit Tower et al.
Twitter | Facebook | Neopets (main)
MalionX

Post by MalionX »

I like the idea of the 8bit one a lot. Can't wait to see more pets in this colour.
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

I don't like the 8-bit colour, either, for.. well, pretty much the same reasons that everyone else has said, heh. It just seems weird to me. I don't *hate* it, though, I think it'll be interesting to see what they do with it :o Although I don't see why it has to have clothes. (Also, is it just my imagination, or did another pet site have/plan to have an 8-bit colour? It seems familiar, for some reason. Maybe I'm just crazy.)
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I gotta agree, I feel kind of indifferent to the 8-bit color. Neat idea, I guess but.. not very Neopetsy somehow? Also I too am bothered by the clothes. That just seems silly.