Blake Steele Excavation

For discussion of the Subeta pet site, including new colours and other features.
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Re: Blake Steele Excavation

Post by shaelyn76 »

Yay for more digging! I didn't get much the first time around, so this gives me the opportunity to dig up some of what I missed as well as the new pretty artifacts...I especially like the new necklace, very pretty.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
sezrin

Post by sezrin »

In case anyone missed it, room five's available and it features an Aenoid. It's a pretty easy one too :D
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

The aeanoid from room 5 was sooooooo gorgeous. I made it grow all its heads just to look at them. Fantastic.

Room 6 is up but Subeta isn't working in a very weird way so I guess I'll go get food.

edit: Never mind, it came back. Mastermind! I was the master of that game.
Image Image
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

This room needed a plaque with instructions. I had no idea whether it wanted grey or yellow lights--I honestly thought it would be yellow--and after finishing, I didn't know that I had finished because nothing happened and I didn't know to click on the top of the puzzle. The reset button disappeared and I thought it was glitched.

Well, I'm not holding my breath for the first 100 achievements anymore. The last three have gone ridiculously fast. I preferred 2 and 3, which weren't solvable with random clicking.
shaelyn76

Post by shaelyn76 »

I have never played Mastermind...never even heard of it before today, so i was completely lost as to what i was supposed to do on this puzzle. Some instructions would have been nice to say the least. I finally figured out what I was supposed to do after reading through about 5 pages of the official forum for the plot. That was joyous, let me tell you, since the majority of posts were just people copying their achievement for finishing the damn puzzle and talking about how easy it was since they are great at Mastermind. I read the first 4 pages (pages posted after the room opened) and was like WTF is Mastermind? Then finally someone explained what the deal was.
Bleh. I'm cranky today anyhow and this did not help. At least I finished it on my first go around (before the tablet filled up) since someone on the boards said that if you leave and come back or fill up all your spaces and start over, it resets the pattern completely.
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I used to play that one Grundo game with the cool music all the time on Neo. It was nice. I have no idea how this one works. Do you have to reset the game every time you mess up? Does that give you a completely new game? Can you remove a tile one placed? Am I going for yellow or green?

Might as well explain it here for me and everyone else who doesn't know Mastermind or want to wade through the forums, but mostly me.

Edit: NEVERMIND. Random clicking for the win. You want to get 4 greyish green dots on the right side, not yellow. Yellow means you have the right colored tile, in the wrong position. Green means it's the right color and in the right position, HOWEVER, the dots on the right do not correspond to the placement of the tiles, they only tell you how many you have completely right, sort of right, and not right at all. At least, that's how I think it works. When you click Reset Game it resets the entire thing, and so does the Try Again link that shows up once you filled in all the empty spots. Each row is one turn with the entire board representing one game. To win, place four of the same colored tile and check to see how the dots light up. If they don't, then that color isn't part of the answer. So if you place purple all purple and the dots change color, they can only be GREEN because they're all in the same position. Only the number of purples affects the number of green dots. If you place 2 reds and 2 purples, then you can either still just have two green dots, or 2 green 1 yellow, 2 yellow and 1 green, or 3 yellow. I think.

Anyway, you just fill up the first 6 rows with each of the colored tiles to figure out which ones are part of the answer and fiddle with it from there.

CODEBREAKERS!! I remember now.
shaelyn76

Post by shaelyn76 »

Sorry :oops: after all my bitching, I didn't even post what was up with the puzzle.

Okay. You are supposed to figure out what 4 discs go into the stone slots and in what order. The best method I have seen described is to pick the same color for all the slots. Once you do this the 4 little dots at the end of that row will either stay "empty"/gray or will change to a greenish blue or a yellow. The greenish blue means that you have the correct color in the correct spot...but doesn't tell you which one is that correct color/spot. The yellow means that you have the correct color, but in the wrong spot. At that point you just have to play with it to figure out which color goes where using the dots as guides as to how close you are to correct. If you fill all of the rows and still do not have the correct combo, from what I understand you have to start over and the puzzle resets itself. Each person has a different combo, so there isn't a solution that works for everyone.
The best example I can give is this:
fill all 4 slots with the red gem...dots at the end show two greenish blue and two stay gray--this means that two of your red gems are in the right spot and are also the right color. The other two gems are both the wrong color and the wrong spot
so you go to the next row and fill the first two slots with red gems and the last two with blue gems...dots show one greenish blue and one yellow with two staying gray--this means that one of your red gems is both the right color and the right place, one of your slots needs to have a blue gem but it doesn't go in the 3rd or 4th position
next you put a red gem in the 1st slot, a blue gem in the 2nd slot, a red gem in the 3rd slot and a green gem in the last slot...dots show 3 greenish blue and one stays gray--since the only real variable in the last scenario was the green gem at that point, you now know that you have the first 3 slots correctly colored and placed. this means you just have to plug in the other colors until the dots show all four greenish blue.(however each time you try a different color in the last slot will take a new row/turn and hopefully you can find the right color before you run out of rows)

did that make sense?
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I hate these types of puzzles so this one was no exception really. It didn't take me surprisingly long to finish, though I think that is mainly because I was lucky and my final code just used two colors heh.

There is a rather excellent guide on the forums you guys can use for help with puzzles. You don't have to read it as the info is updated on the first post shortly after the solution is found and the 100 people avatar is given out. I suggest using it if you are stuck somewhere.
http://subeta.net/forums/view/800500
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Har, thanks for explaining Shaelyn. Your explanation sounds better than mine! I remember not wanting to play Codebreakers because it was so impossible for me. After I figured it out, I think I attempted to get a trophy at it for a few months. And it wasn't Codebreakers with the good music, it was Time Tunnel. Although Time Tunnel was harder because the graphics for the gate overpowered the bits you needed to click on and actually look at to solve it.
Rakumel

Post by Rakumel »

I agree, this one needed to be just a little clearer. I knew what kind of puzzle it was right away, even figured out what color the small dots on the right should have been to indicate the correct answer, but once I figured out what my correct combination was, I didn't know what to do with it. There was no Submit button like there was for some of the other puzzles, which I guess is what threw me. Only by randomly clicking around did I find out you were supposed to click on the top of the plaque to finish and get the next whatsit.

There are instructions in Blake Steele's journal, kind of. But...I don't know if this is the way it's supposed to happen, but his journal doesn't get updated unless I visit the room and attempt the puzzle, then come back. I thought we were supposed to visit him first and get clues about what to do, then go to the room and use them to solve the puzzle. It seems kind of pointless to do it the other way around...to me, anyway. Then again, I guess the idea is you're only supposed to look at the journal if you're stuck and need help?

Well, whatever. I solved the puzzle and got the whatsit and am ready for the next one, and I since I don't give a rip about achievements I guess that's all that matters. *shrug*
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

I only went through all the puzzles today, so I'm a little behind, but Room 7's up. It involves a slide puzzle (the traditional kind - not like the earlier one!) and no mummies, whatever the news suggests. If you're quick you might catch the early-bird achievement; I just got it.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I saw the room as soon as it was up, but it took me a half hour to get through he puzzle so no first 100 achievement for me. Honestly I'm not expecting any, so if I do get one it's a bonus.
Griffin
Human Avatar: 156329

Post by Griffin »

I don't think I've ever completed a slider puzzle. I keep trying to do the first row like everyone's saying but the top-right block is always wrong and I'm doing it over and over and I can't fix it.

so... frustrated.

edit: Closely following the instructions by Ichigo777 on this thread helped me finish it. I would be stuck FOREVER if it wasn't for that, I'm pretty sure. ;_; haha. At least now that I've learned the method, maybe I'll do better when one of these hellish puzzles rears its ugly, scrambled head in the future.
Last edited by Griffin on 04 Aug 2011 01:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gumdrops

Post by Gumdrops »

I hate sliding block puzzles. This kind, not the Klotski one from earlier.

Finished it though.
shaelyn76

Post by shaelyn76 »

I abhor this kind of slider puzzle. It took me a good 25 or more resets before I finally got it right and I was seriously considering screaming out loud in outright frustration by my last try. Good luck guys!
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image