Hydrus Bumbus and Hipottu (revamp)

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Hydrus Bumbus and Hipottu (revamp)

Post by thelonetiel »

Image Image

I find bumbuses really weird in general, this isn't an exception. Nice art, the seaweek and barnacles are nice touches and the transparent fin-wings are lovely.

The hipottu is a revamp I've been dreading. This isn't bad - the art is nice and detailed, but it added a smirk to a very dour, angry pet. I liked my unfathomably angry hippopotamus and will miss it. Luckily, there've been pretty hydrus pets recently that I won't mind morphing that pet into.

Though I may have to hold out for a bit if it stays Hydrus season for much longer - It's one of my favorite colors and I love seeing what the artists do.
RNA
Human Avatar: 261756

Re: Hydrus Bumbus and Hipottu (revamp)

Post by RNA »

Bumbus: the pose is a little awkward because it's too symmetrical and makes the Bumbus' head look tiny and its legs look huge. I wish the pet would take up more of the 200 x 200 space. I morphed my Bumbus Hydrus because it's the closest match to his character that isn't a basic color. I'm quite fond of the wings and the bits of seaweed dangling from its front.

Hipottu: it doesn't seem to be smirking so much as having a notched upper jaw. I wish it didn't look so flat because the combination of thin lineart and highlights along the color edges makes it seem that way. The spines, in particular, have the same problem as the Hydrus Irion as looking too flat with too little contrast from the base brown color. Its body looks like it's caving in where the "wings" start. The art isn't too bad but I wouldn't want to own one.
ImageImage
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Re: Hydrus Bumbus and Hipottu (revamp)

Post by AngharadTy »

To me, the symmetry is my favorite part of the bumbus. Not a feature I necessarily want to see very often on a pet, but it's done very well here. Nicely framed. Love the ruff, the squinty eyes, and above all, the wings. Also I love the fatness of it. I'm pretty sure fatness is a healthy, desirable trait in a bumbus. Fat bees, yes, good, I like.

I'm fairly neutral on the hipottu, but I love the markings and shading on the long spike fins. I want to pet those. But they probably have poisonous tips.
Image Image