New feature: Pet ratings!

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Joeno

New feature: Pet ratings!

Post by Joeno »

Long-time visitors might remember that some time ago, Sam had a not yet finished ratings script uploaded that basically allowed people to give a rating from 1 to 10 to colours. It never was completely finished, but I know I at least liked it.

Because of this I have just spend some time recreating this feature. You can give each pet-colour combination a rating from 1 to 10, and write an optional comment about it as well.

Your comments and ratings will immediately show up on the view colours page. The member averages are updated once per day at 3AM. The averages will not, however, be calculated directly from the scores. To avoid extreme ratings - eg, most colours being rated a 2 or 3 - I want an average rating of approximately 5.5. To achieve this, your ratings will be weighted so that the average ends up as 5.5. Basically, you won't be able to just average the listed scores and get a result, some adjustments are being made. Furthermore, you will need to rate at least 25 combinations for your ratings to be counted in the averages.

Do try to stay around the average of 5.5 for your ratings, though. It keeps all the stats a bit more accurate, and gives a more consistent, and thus more reliable scale in judging which colours are liked and disliked.

Another limitation is that ratings that you've made before a pet was revamped or updated are not considered in the average for the pet. This quite simply because it won't be accurate anymore. It is still stored, though, so updating it will be quite easy.

A final limitation: You cannot rate a colour until two months after it has been uploaded. I've noticed that people's reactions tend to be quite strong shortly after it has been released, so I've included some time for people to 'cool down'.

I think that's about it. Let me know if you've got any questions, comments, and so on. Enjoy!
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

That all seems to work, nifty feature!

I'm finding it quite tricky to subjectively judge a particular colour's worth - do I score a good redraw of a species I don't particularly like above an average redraw of a pet I like? What about the basic colours? Should they score less because they aren't as original (even though they are the original colours for that particular pet, if you know what I mean)? Or should I just stick to my instinctive gut reaction?

On the 'Rating' page, my average score is shown as 5.41 - is that before or after adjustment?
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Oooh nifty.

Will you be monitoring the comments people make/do you need people to monitor the comments people make? I doubt there will be any problems but it has the potential for people to fill it with adverts...
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

I'm not currently monitoring the comments people make, and don't have anything set up to do so yet. I might put that in later, if it becomes a problem.

The displayed average is pre-adjustment. What actually happens is that (with an average of 5.41) your scores are multiplied by 5.5/5.41

As for rating - stick to your gut reaction. You may want to set up some guidelines for yourself, but do what you feel best. This is all obviously very subjective, so make your own choices.

My approximate scale is something like 3-4 for the standard basic colours, 7 for okay redraws, 10 for "no account should be without one", but your opinion will obviously differ.
Settingshadow

Post by Settingshadow »

I'm lost and confused. Where do I go to rate pets? When I go to view a pet I get "Member Rating: None Yet" but no option to rate it myself.

Otherwise, this seems like it will be a very nifty feature and you seem to have certainly thought through the details of the rating system (out of curiousity is that the way that IMDB weights its averages? I've always been curious about that.)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I'm not sure about the two-month thing--I agree that some cooldown is necessary, but a month, or even two weeks, would be better, to me; I wouldn't even remember to come back after two months and rate something.
Image Image
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

There's a link to Ratings in the menu at the top of the site pages (although you need to be logged in to see it).

As for the two months - I realise it might be a tad long, and I will have to consider change it in the future. I'll have to see whether this works best. For now, however, there's plenty to rate still, and maybe you could just come back every once in a while to see whether there's anything new to rate.

As for IMDB - I have no idea how they do things. This just seemed like the simplest way for me to do the weighting. It's not yet perfect, though - 50 1's and 50 10's are still possible and cause no change, while that will not really be the ideal ratings either - but that's also something that becomes harder to balance correctly.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

"You have currently rated 16 combinations with an average rating of 6.56."

Wow, I must not really like the pets I've rated so far. xP

I agree with Angharad. Two months is waaaay too long. How about a week?

Also, where would we see the ratings for the pets?
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

They're currently not displayed by default (although I might switch the default soon). Go to the Options page to toggle it.

One week is, in my opinion, too early. With the more interesting pets, discussion can go on for four to five days - and with Neopets sometimes waiting one to two days with uploading, that already covers that week.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Thanks, this is a great feature :) I won't be getting into rating until later, and when I do I'll try not to think about the overwhelming number of combinations - but I really liked being able to do this on the old site and it'll be nice to have it back.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Err, is there a way to fix it if you made a mistake?

Mistakes are especially onerous since our names are attached - but I suppose it will teach one to <strike>never use the feature again</strike> be more careful. :P
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Fixing it isn't that difficult. Using the top dropdown boxes, just select the pet you want to update, and it should show you the current rating and comment you've entered, and allow you to change it.

I know it works. I spend an hour or two getting it to work because of a single lower-than that should have been a greater than!
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

I'm finding it quite tricky to subjectively judge a particular colour's worth - do I score a good redraw of a species I don't particularly like above an average redraw of a pet I like? What about the basic colours? Should they score less because they aren't as original (even though they are the original colours for that particular pet, if you know what I mean)? Or should I just stick to my instinctive gut reaction?
What I did was compare the pet to the other pets in that color. For example: the Striped Peophin I compare to the other Striped pets...
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Joeno wrote:Fixing it isn't that difficult. Using the top dropdown boxes, just select the pet you want to update, and it should show you the current rating and comment you've entered, and allow you to change it.

I know it works. I spend an hour or two getting it to work because of a single lower-than that should have been a greater than!
Yay! Thanks, Joeno, I was worried about all and sundry thinking I'd rated the royalgirl Acara a 4, when she's clearly a much prettier pet than that.

I'm not actually sure quite how I pulled that off, either, I didn't even realize it until I went to look and see what others had rated the same pets I'd done.

Thanks for pointing that out!
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Out of interest, has anyone rated an Invisible pet yet, and if so what did you rate it? I've been giving them all 1 so far.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark