Subeta subeta EVERYWHERE

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Cheese

Subeta subeta EVERYWHERE

Post by Cheese »

I'm becoming irritated by all those subeta threads. I use the new posts feature so I can see every thread in every forum at once and, when I just looked, 5 of 7 new posts were in a thread about subeta.

If werewolf was enough of an irritation to warrant removal from the Epilogue section with really only ever 2 or 3 active threads on it, then why not Subeta threads?

Of course, a Subeta usegroup is possibly not ideal like it was with WW but it's more than a little irritating to me.

There is the option of having a neocolours.me.uk/subeta/forum but that would require a lot of hassle and new accounts and the like.

I dunno. I just talked away my own argument.
Monkeyguy

Post by Monkeyguy »

I agree with you. It seems much more like a Subeta section rather than all other games section.

Even though I don't mind it as much as you do, I still think it's a little out of control.
Image Image Image
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

:shrug: I'd have no problem with Subeta having its own section. (For that matter, I'd have had no problem with simply moving Werewolf to the Forum Games section.)

I would, however, oppose trying to move it to a totally separate forum. It doesn't have nearly enough traffic to warrent that.

I think the problem with having Subeta as a usergroup is that it's quite possible that people not already members of the board may want to read the Subeta threads. This is a different case than Werewolf, since I doubt many non-members read the Werewolf threads. It seems like Werewolf also has an obvious way to periodically remind people of the usergroup's existance (every time a new game starts, since I'm assuming new game recruitment will be posted to everyone, not just the usergroup) whereas periodically posting, "By the way, if you're interested in Subeta, join the usergroup" just seems silly.

I'm not sure what to say about the "New Posts" thing, though. It seems to me that seeing lots of posts you're not interested in is a fundamental problem of a "New Posts" link, which is why I don't use them except on forums that group the new posts by board instead of in the order they were most recently posted to. But I don't think creation of lots of usergroups is the solution to the problem.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Wingsrising wrote:It seems to me that seeing lots of posts you're not interested in is a fundamental problem of a "New Posts" link.
Oh it is. Its just there's so many more things I don't want to look at now than there used to be ;p
Rainbow Daydreamer

Re: Subeta subeta EVERYWHERE

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

Cheese wrote:I'm becoming irritated by all those subeta threads. I use the new posts feature so I can see every thread in every forum at once and, when I just looked, 5 of 7 new posts were in a thread about subeta.

If werewolf was enough of an irritation to warrant removal from the Epilogue section with really only ever 2 or 3 active threads on it, then why not Subeta threads?

Of course, a Subeta usegroup is possibly not ideal like it was with WW but it's more than a little irritating to me.
Amen baby.

I don't play Subeta (adopt ANOTHER creature? when would I have time to study?), and to be honest, I'm getting driven up the wall by searching through all the Subeta stuff for a Neopets-related post. I'm sure I've even seen S-topics not prefixed with the word "Subeta" so they waste more time when I have to click them and see. If there's anything you can do about this, I'll be all for it.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

I guess I'm just rather confused as to how the Subeta topics could be all that distracting when they are confined to a single board. All Subeta topics - with the exception of the few here - are in the "Offsite Games" forum, so if you don't want to read them, don't go there.

I didn't even realize we had a view all new posts feature, so I'm not all sure what it does. But just browse the site like normal and you should be fine.

However, I do agree that a Subeta section might make things a bit more simplier, so people could browse the "Offsite Games" section without being bombarded by Subeta stuff.

*Shrug* Just my two cents.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Wysteria

Post by Wysteria »

The whole idea of creating the subeta forum as an other games forum was so that subeta wouldn't have its very own subforum - are we going back on that now? I rather like things the way they are (though mostly because I never use the 'all new posts' feature).
Bless my whiskers. {Formerly Grey Cloud.}
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

I guess I don't really see the big issue either. As Seerow said, pretty much all the Subeta topics are confined to the Offsite Games forum, it's not as if they're sprinkled throughout every topic. I wouldn't be opposed to Subeta having it's own forum, but I thought we'd agreed that the Offsite Games idea would work fine. *shrug*
Image Image
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

I'm all for confining topics that are taking over a board to their own board (be it Subeta or Werewolf) but I don't think there's any real solution for unwanted threads in the "New Posts" page.

Does PHP have a hack that sorts threads with new posts by board (so all the threads from the same board are grouped together in the New Posts page)? That's how I read the few groups that I read by New Posts (mostly ones with insanely large numbers of subforums) and it works pretty well in letting you just skim past whole sections of posts you're not interested in. However, those forums aren't based on PHP.

Otherwise I don't think there's any real solution to what is an intrinsic problem of the "New Posts" feature. (That's exactly why I don't use "New Posts" to read this forum or any forum that doesn't group them by subforums.)
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Yes, they are in one forum section. You obviously do not use the "view posts since last visit" feature which is found at the top right of the main forum list.

It isn't three on phpBB forums but on vBulletin forums you have the option to ignore a while forum section if you don't have any interest in it.

That would be useful. Damn you phpBB.
Riddler

Post by Riddler »

Quick idea - if a Subeta usergroup were to be set up, it could be linked to from the Subeta index?
Thanks to Twisted for the awesome set!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

My fear is perhaps what Riddler is getting at; unlike with WW, I don't want to make it a usergroup, because that would alienate new people joining up.

Each topic really should have "Subeta" in it. It's in the rules, I've been editing every post that does. Sorry if you caught one before it got edited, RD.

I'm not sure there's a perfect and elegant solution to this problem, this time around. The easiest thing would be for you to go to the Offsite Games forum and mark all topics read; that way they don't bug you with their unread presence.
Image Image
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Exactly. I think WW is much more suited to being a usergroup than Subeta is.

There does seem to be a hack that lets you sort the results of the "view new posts" like by a number of criteria, including subforum. Something like that would at least put all the Subeta posts in one place. However, I don't know anything else about it or whether Jazzy would want to install it.

One advantage to moving Subeta to its own board would that people who were interested in OTHER offsite games could mark the Subeta forum read but still see other game posts in their "view since last visit" page.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Link me to it and I'll see? Basically, my criteria for installing a hack are:
- it can't take too long to install
- it must be for as recent a version as possible
- it must provide significant new functionality
and
- people must want this functionality enough to justify whatever server load it causes.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I'm torn on this issue. I play Subeta after all, but I do think it drowns out the other Offsite games topics. Of course, the point of that was for Subeta not to have its own thread. I didn't even know I could read all the posts since my last visit - and I can usually tell by the little things at the side that say, oh, "Hoban Art - Slugawoo blah blah" if I'd read it last or not (I tend to remember the last comment xD). And.. well since I play Subeta I want to read all the threads :P I just wish other games could get a chance in there xD