Grey Usul

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

zebru wrote:There's no trace of their silly, happy, giddy personality.
But that's the point in a grey pet?
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Yep, I know you can't have it with grey pet. It was more of an aha moment why I don't like it even though I love usuls usually. I wasn't very clear in my last post, sorry ;)
Last edited by zebru on 28 Nov 2006 01:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I knew what you meant, I just had to tease. *laughs* That makes me wonder if you like grey Poogles.
Image Image
Silver Link

Post by Silver Link »

Actually, I think the one that looks like it has a detached shoulder has its arm raised, like it's saying "feh"

Not the best one out there but they could've done much worse
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Rainbow Daydreamer wrote: Also, to me this pet looks very female. Shouldn't a non-Royalgirl pet be genderless?
Don't all Usuls look female?

Well, after the disaster that was the Grey Pteri (revamp it. Please.), this is a welcome change. It's not hungover. Problem is, it looks a lot like a doll...which, I guess, Usuls are in the first place...
roger9614462

Post by roger9614462 »

:shock: An Usul which looks great, and a Grey one?

Wow!
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Wow, before I clicked the thread I envisioned a horrendous playdoh pet...but honestly this isn't anywhere near as bad as I was fearing. It is a little floppy, but I think that's only because the usul's anatomy itself is a bit that way. I like the shading and the colours, the overall look is quite pleasing. I wouldn't get one, but that's only because I don't like Usuls.

I think that this was pulled off very well, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.
Image Image
kerg

Post by kerg »

roger9614462 wrote::shock: An Usul which looks great, and a Grey one?

Wow!
My thoughts exactly. Normally I really don't like Usuls, but I really like this one. I actually wouldn't mind having one, if grey pb's weren't so darn expensive. (I can't believe I just said that I want an Usul. Wow. You know, they wouldn't really be so bad if they'd just get redrawn...)
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

*Boils over*.....AAAAAHHHH!

(What kind of reaction did you expect out of me?)

Though I have to say I'm not as crazy over the circle pose as the rest, (which usually is one of the major deciding factors for me in getting a new painted pet) but it's growing on me. I think I'll be requesting one. I was very surprised when I saw that there wasn't any usul revamp this year. Going about 6 years without a new design makes me scratch my head. I don't particularly care for the camo/ice redraw, but If they were redesigned like the front page usul, I'd be very satisfied.

Nice angle, detailed eyes that are not crossed, no doofy smile.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I have to add another comment, only because I went out Christmas shopping and ate dinner and wrapped a present and came to look at it again and its grown on me in those few hours.

If only because this pose is so damn lovely.

Sigh.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I agree that the colors and shading are very nice. In that respect, it is pleasant looking, but it still fails miserably because of missed opportunity. Until they give the usul fingers, toes, and legs, it'll always be stuck in the past. There really is no excuse for it to have the body of a chia, not when you can redo the entire pet for a color like grey. The hit pose is entirely wrong, but ranged is lovely.
Last edited by Huggles on 28 Nov 2006 05:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Usul_Princess wrote:...but If they were redesigned like the front page usul, I'd be very satisfied.

Nice angle, detailed eyes that are not crossed, no doofy smile.
Except that it apparently has thumbs. Well, I guess an usul could slip its stub of a hand into a mitten, merely leaving the thumb empty, but then the weight of the extra cloth would tug the mitten around, so the thumb would always point down... plus it wouldn't really stay on. I think too much about these things. But that usul seems to have thumbs, and usuls don't have thumbs, and while I think they're stupid without digitation of any kind (hands or feet), surely usul-lovers appreciate it, in general, so adding digits where there were none before would upset many... I think too much about these things!
Image Image
davidsgurl1685

Post by davidsgurl1685 »

I don't like Usuls, (which apparently many here don't :P ) but this one I would consider painting if Jacko handed me a grey paint brush (lol that'll happen). Really though, it isn't that bad at all. It's cute, and *I* think it looks quite apathetic, which is nice instead of that "I just got done sobbing and/or getting stoned" look so many grey pets have. More like idk actual depression. But seriously look at the ranged attack pose...ok are you looking? Good. Now...look at the body + its ruff. ignore the head. Doesn't it look EXACTLY like a Chia? seriously it looks like they drew a Chia and then put a Usul-esque head on top. Ignoring that though I like the pose...very flowy. WHoo ok I'm done.

EDIT:ooohhh now I get the "dislocated shoulder" look...it's shrugging in total apathy! my blondeness finally comprehends.
K+D=<3 4E
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Just to show that what I'd like to see is possible while still ending up with a creature that is distinctly an usul, I'll point you to this usul by Hopealeijona. It was in the gallery, but since I don't have a clue as to where, I temporarily uploaded it. It's even more cute and cuddly because it has dainty little hands. Aww.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Wow. If usuls looked like that, I'd have five. Or, well, one. but still! ^_~
Image Image