Desert Gelert

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
Fullmetal Dragon
Human Avatar: 156401

Post by Fullmetal Dragon »

Aside from the happy and circle poses looking like the lines are just a bit too thin for my tastes, this is the only pose that really bothers me --

The position of those legs should have it leaping, not still planted on the floor, or it would fall over, as someone has already pointed out.

Other than that, this pet is really nice and well done! Not too over-crowded, not too many little details (or not enough, either! That's just as bad) and I really like the Angry pose. If I had one of these I would piss it off all the time just to see that pose, ha XD It's a very nice colorscheme for a Desert pet, too. Yays (mostly) all around!
<3
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

The way the paw is lifted in the happy pose bugs me. It doesn't look right.
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

It reminds me a dog from a cartoon a name of which I can't remember. I know one of the characters was a genie and they explore some caves... oh, well, there's my memory.
But that is precisely why I don't like it much. Aside for happy/circle and ranged attack, other poses are well drawn but still I can't shake off cartoony/cliche felling I get from it.
Last edited by zebru on 30 Dec 2006 03:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Mosrael

Post by Mosrael »

Image Image

I wondered why it seemed so familiar... and a few of the other poses are very similiar to the standard Lupe poses. Rather lazy for a redraw, imo.

That said, more desert pets = good, but try as I might, I just can't like this guy =/
ladynight6

Post by ladynight6 »

Wingsrising wrote:The way the paw is lifted in the happy pose bugs me. It doesn't look right.
It makes me think of a dog with an injured paw...
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

I like it, I really don't know why. I guess I must be in a good mood :)

The lifted paw looks a little odd but I could live with it, the 'leap' I've got used to already. I like several of the other poses and ideas, it's clearly had time and effort expended on it rather than just being hastily bashed out. Kudos!
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
gidget

Post by gidget »

I think it's a lovely addition to the Desert pets and a lovely addition to Gelertness. :P
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

I hate gelerts. I actually have one, but he's a mutant, the only color besides grey that I can stand. The normal ones just look too simple and goofy and cartoony and... like old art, I guess. Some of the shopkeepers, like the one in my sig, are loads better than the real pet. Desert would be lovely if the gelert were a big dog, but this stupid puppy thing... no matter how they dress it up, I'm not liking it.

Image Image Image

The art and look of the grey and mutant is just so much better; it's ridiculous.

And the diaper-looking loincloths bug me, too. My lab pet is currently a desert uni, and it's ugly.
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

ladynight6 wrote:
Wingsrising wrote:The way the paw is lifted in the happy pose bugs me. It doesn't look right.
It makes me think of a dog with an injured paw...
It doesn't look like a 'natural' pose to me, in that I couldn't see a dog doing that on their own. But it looks like a well behaved dog obeying a command. (I know neopets aren't supposed to be exactly like real pets, but I like the comparison of Gelerts with dogs.)
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

ImageImage

There is only one requirement for a new Neopets color, albeit, with one caveat.

To be a new color—The base color of the pet must be sufficiently different from that of any existing color. Not the clothes. Not the accessories, but the pet itself. If a new color does not meet this excruciatingly basic and easy to fulfill requirement, it fails. However, this can be circumvented by colors that significantly alter standard anatomy of a species.

This does neither. It's a statuesque brown gelert with very pretty accessories. At least, in the circle and happy poses it is. In the other poses it's the standard goofy dog. It's a completely different animal, albeit with livlier poses, but very awkwardly executed.

It honestly looks like this was drawn by two different people. Or, if by one artist, at two very different times. I want to like the gelert in the happy and circle pose, but I can't support a pet that is neither a total redraw like Maraquan or even a simple colorfil. It's worthy of being a shopkeeper at best.
rebelheart

Post by rebelheart »

I think it's good.
The only thick lines I see are the ears in the circle popse, but they don't bother me that much. It is much more nicely drawn than the standard Gelert and regarding the comments about his loincloth - dressing up like an egyptian is the whole point of the desert pets and it looks just like that to me, not even remotely like a diaper!!?
I also think that's the perfect shade of brown to use for desert, anything lighter would make his accessories stand out less and anything darker would be unsuitable for the desert. I'm also glad they made the tail thicker than with the original gelert, it's thin wire-like tail is what bothers me most with the standard colours.
His chest in the circle pose looks a lot more realistic.
A very nice pet, and after this year where we clearly didn't get many great colours I'm not complaining about two nice ones in a day.
Anna the Red

Post by Anna the Red »

I'm quite fond of it, especially the angry pose. If I had it, I wold poke it in the nose and make it angry all the time, then squee with delight.
FaeMcCloud

Post by FaeMcCloud »

The legs bother me...a lot >>;; Other than that, it's alright. Still, as Huggles pointed out, it's really just a brown gelert with lots of nifty clothing. Not for me : /

Fae
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

It is like a dreesed up Brown Gelert, but well..it isn't.

The overall shading is different, particularly at the face and front leg/chest area. This looks more realistic, rather than cartoony compared to the Gelert. Plus the ear, tail and legs look different; so in my opinion it isn't just Brown in some fancy clothes.
Lou 500

Post by Lou 500 »

Looks kind of awkward disproportioned... not that keen.