New domain name?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

What kind of URL do you want to see?

Something using the full word "neocolours"
52%
Something using "thenc" or a variant thereof
45%
Neither--explain below
2%

Total votes: 86

Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

The trouble with newnc is it will look really, really daft in three years' time :)
Rivka

Post by Rivka »

I still wanna use Neocolours in the URL.. it would be confusing otherwise lol.

But, if we absolutely cant have neocolours, Neocanvas is a pretty darn cool replacement name.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

We'll still BE Neocolours, we just might not need it after the whole http deal. I don't think everyone quite gets that. ^_~
Image Image
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I voted for using neocolours in the name, but actually I don't really care. I'd just like to get back to a top result when you put "neocolours" in google.

Someone suggested neonc.net before, and I think it's kinda nifty. It's like...neoneocolours. Or...neo neocolours community...or neo notorious crazies...or I don't know. That's my two cents.

But honestly, whatever the name is, we're still going to be neocolours. I'd just prefer to not change our name too much...as nifty as names like neocanvas are, I don't want to lose our identity entirely.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

AngharadTy wrote:We'll still BE Neocolours, we just might not need it after the whole http deal. I don't think everyone quite gets that. ^_~
Can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly get it.

Doesn't make me like thenc any more as a URL.

:shrug:

However, I absolutely and without question vote against "The Neopian Canvas." Not that it's a bad name. It's a very nice name, in fact. But we're Neocolours.
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

When this poll first came up I voted 'Neocolours' since then my vote has swayed towards 'thenc'.

We're always going to be Neocolours, and I really don't want neocolours.tv or whatever ^^
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Neocolours.info

*tries to sway votes*
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

.info is heavily associated with spam. There's a reason why it's so cheap - sales aren't going to well to a point where I've heard of at least one case of a domain being given away.

.info is a theoretical possibility, yes, but expect it to be avoided as well due to the spam issue and people's reluctance to visit because of that.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

What exactly do you mean? If we're not using a hosting plan, who would be sending the spam? If no actual spam is being sent, then why would there be anymore problems than with any other address? I mean, I can't exactly imagine people refusing to visit the site because of the .info if we aren't actually full of spyware and spamming their emails.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

Most of the .info domains refer to spam sites. Whenever people find a .info site in email, they much sooner assume that it is spam - in fact, I believe that many anti-spam services assign a higher spam score to an email, solely due to it coming from or linking to a .info domain. I know for sure that SpamAssassin does.

Looking at that - if you want even more problems because of our email being blocked at spam - you know, those that retrieve passwords and so on - sure, go for a .info domain. If you, however, want to help people receive them, do not go for a .info domain. It'll be a nightmare from a maintenance point of view alone.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I still don't think people would care as we're not exactly unknown and we don't have email updates, but not being able to receive your password would suck. I don't think I could go for thenc at all, and even for neocolours1 or some such would be better in my view.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Well... I get a lot of email from the site. I have it set to send PM notifications. It'd be kind of... rude, if we signed up for a place where only the lucky people could get those notifications.
Image Image
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

We could also be neo-colours.com.. Has the hyphen though.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I hate email notifications. On the old site, err...the old old site, even though I had it turned off I'd get bouts of new post notifications. Having 50 or so of them was not fun at all. The same went for private messages, but I honestly didn't get enough of those to care.
Dragyn

Post by Dragyn »

I, personally, would go with "neocolours" and the original neocolours.something. This site and forums are known as neocolours, people would come back to it. TNT would know who we were rather than think we're complete new people.

However, if the previous owner of neocolours has some kind of copywrite over the name then I don't see how we'd be able to use it. I would jsut check into that. I would go with neocolours.blah until we found out we legally could not, and at that point I would worry about going with thenc.blah or whatever other choice we have. Otherwise, stick to what we're known as and loved for.