Graveyard Chai and Magnus revamp

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Graveyard Chai and Magnus revamp

Post by hebdenhippy »

Image Image

I really like the concept of the Chai, the bear trap on it's leg is a good idea, and the chain around it's neck works well too. However, it's pose just look weird, like it's attempting to do the splits, not exactly a natural pose, it just look uncomfortable. I'm not that keen on the thorn antennae either, while a nice concept, I think they just make it look too crowded.

I think the Magnus is great, it really shows how a gargoyle would look if it was crumbling, and the cracks it in work well, without being overdone.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Re: Graveyard Chai and Magnus revamp

Post by mellaka »

i guess i like the new graveyard magnus although i still like the old version better (i own one). i appreciate that the artist kept the turned pose, which is one of the things i preferred in the old magnus vs. the new. i think if it was a brand new pet i would like it but since i like the old one i'm torn (not that i have a choice :P).

the only thing i don't like is the head, but i can't really say why.
Fever

Post by Fever »

Im actually really upset by the graveyard magnus, as I own own, and Im pretty sure it was the first pet I ever painted. Its just so completely different now. I don't know how to explain it, but Im upset =(
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Yea..the Chai's pose really bothers me..the legs look uncomfortably splayed..D: ..

Image ..redlined it, for a slightly better positioning

I enjoy its head, though, and the little leaf things turning into thorn vines. :D

What did the old Graveyard Magnus look like?
Image Image
ImageImage
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

I think the pose looks much better how you've red lined it Goldenchaos, much less awkward.

Here's the original Graveyard Magnus
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

Well, the art is certainly better on the Magnus..however it did lose that evilish sort of smiling grin that the old one had. I can see why it was changed too, it didnt look very..magnusy? ..:\ but Im sure thats why it was well liked by people. D:
Image Image
ImageImage
Chandi

Post by Chandi »

I don't know, I don't really see anything anatomically wrong with the Chai. It's dead and rotting, and it's foot is coming off at the ankle/shin because of the trap. So I could understand why it's unnaturally splayed and falling off. As it is, I really like the Chai, the trap and vines make it stand out, though it looks oddly un-detailed next to the revamped Magnus. Vast differences in shading. I like the Magnus too, I enjoy the more gargoyle-esque appearance, but I can understand why so many people are upset about it. It did lose some attitude in the changeover.
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

I can see how the Chai looks awkward, but it doesn't bother me that much; I didn't notice it until it was pointed out. Shockingly enough, I actually like it - I like a Chai! I never thought the day would come. Not enough to get one, but I don't cringe when I see it. Very nice.

I actually like the Graveyard Magnus a lot, nearly enough to get one. I do agree that the revamp kind of took away all of the qualities of the old one, and can see how the owners who wanted one based purely on those qualities would be upset - I would, too. However, I do think it's a vast improvement on the old one, and if I ever get a Mystical Plushie, it's so getting a slot.
checkers

Post by checkers »

Graveyard Magnus, wowee, it was one of the few old art pets I loved, and this revamp impresses me. I like that it looks like a Crumbling Gargoyle, it's as if the Magnus was imprisoned (By Medusa or something) turned to stone and now like after 1000 years it's crumbling and the dragon within is breaking out. :D I like the whole effect of a statue coming to life/having live eg; a heart beating. :D Nice.

Chai, it looks to bright, and awkerward looking, the chains look shiny and brand new, I'd like them better if they were rusty or something.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

For whatever bizarre reason, I don't like most graveyard pets. These are no exception. I think the thorns on the chai should be about 1/3 of the size they are now. They look too much like random antlers. I've got nothing bad to say about the magnus, yet nothing good either.*shrug*
Rah

Post by Rah »

The legs were purposely splayed like that, actually, to try and make it look broken, like the chai is pulling away from the trap and leaving its leg behind? It looks awkward to me, but that's kind of what I was going for, so it feels right to make it look uncomfortable :)

The rusty chains idea is great though, wish I'd thought of that xD

I love the Magnus. I'm contemplating turning Azrael into one, currently he's a Twilight Magnus. It's amusing to look at how different mine and DNA's art styles are on these two, though xD But the chai is possibly my most cartoony pet? I'm not sure. I don't think I could put the magnus's level of detail on the chai though!
Jessyta

Post by Jessyta »

I miss the necklace on the original Chai. It realllllly bothers me when things like that get changed. I was expecting the GY Chai revamp to be pretty dramatic, because of the pose of the original... but in my opinion the little details (like the necklace on this and other markings on other pets, like the Anyu) is what needs to remain constant to keep a revamp looking like a revamp and not a new pet.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

Goldenchaos wrote:I can see why it was changed too, it didnt look very..magnusy? ..:\ but Im sure thats why it was well liked by people. D:
i believe the graveyard magnus was one of the last to be redone to match the current version of the magnus. it very much resembled the last version of the pet (which is why i liked it so much - my first pet on the site was a common magnus and it was as close as i could get to that old version).

looking at all the colors, i guess angelic is the last one in the old style now.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I hate Chais, and I hate this Chai. Yay!

I think the graveyard magnus got way, way overshaded. I know it's supposed to be a gargoyle, more or less, but it looks extremely dark here - especially sitting next to the graveyard chai.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

I like the Chai except the thorn antennae. They just look absolutely silly, stuffed at odd angles because of the limited space. I'd really like the Chai if it weren't for those stupid antennae. It makes the whole thing look unbalanced.

Something about the Magnus strikes me as off, and it's not just the over-shading, although that plays a major part in my dislike for it. I can't put my finger on it, but it's definitely not something I would ever consider getting.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage