New feature requests?

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Re: New feature requests?

Post by Cranberry »

Jazzy wrote:Okay, there's now a system to submit clothed male and female post-Customisation pets:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7750
Any other ideas?
Yay, that's excellent, thank you! I just went through and submitted a bunch (I didn't make any mistakes, as far as I know -- I checked each one carefully), and I'll do more later.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Returning to the suggestion to add the new posts link - which link do you mean, and where exactly do you want it? On threads, on the view where you can see all the threads in a forum, or on the list of forums?
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

I actually had a suggestion, or maybe more of a question: is there a way to add the buttons that automatically insert the image tags, etc. to the Quick Reply form? Did the Quick Reply form have those, once? Or am I totally imaging things?
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

They did, though I wasn't fond of them - I'd tried to make it so that people couldn't use that version of the Quick Reply form and didn't manage it. I'd prefer not to add anything to the Quick Reply form because I deliberately chose one which didn't come with many bells and whistles this time :)
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Oh. It's just that the lack of buttons on Quick Reply makes it a LOT more inconvenient to use if you want to post pictures, or links.

I'm curious now what it was you didn't like about the buttons. :-)
EofS

Post by EofS »

I'm not Jazzy of course, but personally I think that having the code buttons negates the point of it being a "quick" reply box. Ie, it's intended for replies like this where you just want to run off a few quick sentences then be on your way. For more involved responses, that's what the more cluttered "post reply" page is for.

At least, that's how I've always seen it. But I might be skewed by the fact that even if I want code, I don't use those buttons. As you will notice when I brain-fart and still use html even though it's no longer possible ;0)
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

Well, the Quick reply is a stripped down form of the reply box- it is perfectly possible to click to post a reply if you want to have the buttons to insert tags, and you can type the tags out yourself if you want them when using Quick reply. I think of Quick Reply as being there for when you don't need all the bells and whistles, you just want to make a simple, short plain text post without any fuss.

A more complicated set-up means more loading time and more bandwidth (because it would be loaded so, so many times), which may mean more expensive... and that's not good. Also, if you find that Quick Reply gets in the way somewhat when reading the forums then adding more buttons makes it more cluttered. I prefer a simple version, and this one is a good compromise between convenience and lack of cluttered-ness.
Neopets wishlists: here
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

Ah, see I've pretty much gotten in the habit of using Quick Reply for everything. But if no one else used the buttons, I stand corrected. :-)
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Jazzy wrote:Returning to the suggestion to add the new posts link - which link do you mean, and where exactly do you want it? On threads, on the view where you can see all the threads in a forum, or on the list of forums?
Better then describing :D My suggestion of where to move it may be a bit too fancy, I'm not sure. I suggested it because it shows up on every page, and the link that's there isn't very useful to me at least. It could be to other people though, I'm not sure.
Wingsrising

Post by Wingsrising »

I also tend to agree that it would be nice to have a "new posts" link on every page.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Ooh, I can do that easily. Done :)
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

Oooh, thank you so much! That's awesome :D
Madge

Post by Madge »

This is really two-pronged:

Firstly, I always seem to have to log in whenever I visit the site. What's the best way to deal with this, again?

Which leads to the second problem:

If I open a Topic Reply Notification, I have to log in as per the problem above. After logging in, it redirects me to the main forum page instead of the thread I was trying to view. Is it possible to have it redirect to the page you were trying to log in to view?
Last edited by Madge on 30 Jan 2008 07:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Madge - have you tried clearing cookies? (Apologies if you have, it just often seems to solve these things)
Madge

Post by Madge »

I actually just did the log out log back in trick and it seems to work so far, but who knows, I may post later whinging some more.

The refreshing onto the topic you were trying to view rather than the main page request still is valid, though.