Pets in Need of Revamps (Split from Lain thread)

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
adi_gallia

Pets in Need of Revamps (split from the Lain thread)

Post by adi_gallia »

Jessibean wrote:Though I must say, I agree with Enriana - they have a huge list of pets that NEED to be revamped, that look absolutely horrible. I wish they would concentrate on that, rather than making new pets instead. Especially because the trend seems to be to concentrate on those pets getting the new redraws and new colors instead of older pets that need it more.
But isn't this that particular artists first pet? (well, she may have taken up the Pherret after drawing the Glacier one) I guess she could have been given another species to redraw instead of making a new one.

If this was drawn by someone like Aqua or Rah I'd agree with you because they have a lot of species to finish revamping already but it's Illusion's first pet and it seems to me that she wasn't confident enough to draw pets until now. Maybe she wouldn't have felt comfortable revamping something like the Aerie or the Turdle right now in case the users hate it and cause an uproar (kind of like they did with the Glacier Pherret). At least with this she hasn't "ruined" something by drawing it because there is no original version to compare it to.

But I know very little about what goes on with the artists, it's just what I am imagining is the case.
Rah

Re: New Pet! The Lain

Post by Rah »

There are only a few pets left that need to be picked up by a new artist - and other than the Pherret, none of them really suited Illusion's style. But we've been wanting to introduce a songbird pet for AGES now, and it fitted Illusion, so Keith asked her to try drawing it :)

We can't just give pets to artists that aren't comfortable drawing them :)

But yeah, I personally probably wouldn't be allowed to draw a new pet for a while, as I think I have 8 species on which I'm currently working!
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Adi ( and to an extent, Rah), it is her first 'pet', but I think you misinterpreted what I was saying - I wasn't saying Illusion should have to draw one of the older pets when it isn't suited to her style. There has been, however, an awful lot of new pets in recent months, and you can't say that -every- single artist introducing a new pet isn't suited to the old ones. It just feels like some priority should be put on getting some of the older pets a face lift. Heck, even some pets that have had recent 'revamps' (as in relines... like the devonti (which I hate) and the keeto) didn't need it nearly as much as oh, the turdle, among others.

And Rah, I never said that pets should be given to artists that aren't comfortable drawing them - I AM engaged to an artist. I'm aware how it works. It'd just be nice to see some attention given to the more abandoned species.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Which species would you say are abandoned?

And I do agree that there are some pets that really need the attention, and some were actually getting it, but then the artists left/were made to leave staff for various reasons :(

I at least know that my newest pet, the manchu, was released before I was given two of the 'old' pets to draw. Maybe I wouldn't have drawn it if I'd had the two 'old' species from the beginning :)

And jessi, my post wasn't really just aimed at you, I try to communicate to anyone who might not know how it works on staff :)
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

..whatever happened to the Malticorn?
Image Image
ImageImage
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Rah wrote:Which species would you say are abandoned?
Aeries. They don't even have Galactic, yet.
Rah

Post by Rah »

They both belong to the same artist, actually (aeries and malticorn). I believe Jag is currently working on the Feli and Velosotor, though, so I promise they haven't been forgotten about, they're just in a bit of a queue.

Whereas I tend to screw up my schoolwork in order to work on subeta stuff, Jag (Exhibitted) is a hard worker, and wants to do the best she can on both her school work and subeta work. So while it's slightly slower coming out, the quality isn't bypassed in favour of speed :) (Not that mine is! xD I just suck at doing work for uni)
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Goldenchaos wrote:..whatever happened to the Malticorn?
Weird. I was thinking exactly the same thing today at college. Personally, what bothers me the most, is despite having artists assigned to them, say, the Antlephore (which I assume has an artist), still have dreadful redraw colours out there despite having been revamped before I even started playing Subeta. I'm coming up for a year soon. Pets in dire need of revamps, the Reborn Torrent instantly springing to mind... quite simply need revamps. I understand that it's the artists choice, what they draw, but I really think some pets should be pushed through.
Subeta: Thomas
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

Rah wrote:Which species would you say are abandoned?
I'd probably split the "abandoned" pets into 3 categories,

Pets that don't need revamps, but are getting ignored - Aeanoid, Cadogre, Charlie, Dragon, Torrey, Tutani, Wyllop, Paralix
Pets that have been recently revamped/new pets, then ignored - Devonti, Swampie, Tutani, Mahar, Terracoon, Popoko, Mallarchy, Dragarth
Pets that could do with revamps, but are ignored - Aerie, Clawsion, Cybill, Harvester, Hikei, Hipposaru, Lasirus, Malticorn, Serpenth, Turdle

I'm sure that there will be a lot of disagreement over those, but it's just my opinion
Rah

Post by Rah »

Mmn, I suppose so. I must say, sometimes I do like a little bit of extreme direction (like the other week when we were told 'REDRAW A GY PET!' or a few days before the early galactic days when it was all 'we have to get 10 galactic pets out!') but I must admit that sometimes I have more inspiration for one pet than another. I can only speak for myself on this point though.

The antlephore has just recently been taken on, and the artist of that pet is definitely taking over the species with a bang xD

I think this year might be a good year for getting all the old pet art up to date!
Fever

Post by Fever »

The one pet that I would really love to get some attention, and a good revamp, is the turdle. Ive been saying that for aggges though lol :)

But anyway, I really love this pet. Gorgeous work. I cant wait for elixirs and some redraws to come out so I can own one myself =)
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Hebdenhippy, I just wanted to point out that the Wyllop isn't really getting ignored so much as it barely has any colors left xD (just two - Glacier and Nightmare, both of which are relatively new). But Lindsey (she's the wyllop artist now, did the galactic one) looooooves the wyllop (RATTIES) and I can assure you she won't ignore it forever ;D

Edit - I just wanted to add in that, for as pretty as the Lain is (or can be), the elixirs are really underwhelming.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

I just thought those off the top of my head, but you're right, the Wyllop does have nearly all colours, my mistake! I didn't know Lindsey was doing the Wyllop, I loved the Galactic one ^^ *looks forward to Glacier and Nightmare*

I quite like the Lain Elixirs, I think they're very pretty, but they don't look much like potion flasks
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

I hate being at my pet limit..if the Nightmare Escalade is any indication of how the Wyllop will look. I want one.
Image Image
ImageImage
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

splitting and merging, lalala

Post by Foghawk »

Urgh. Not only do I agree that the lineart is just too thin, but as a devoted birdwatcher... Those feet... those WINGS... No bones in those wings. Its tailbone and spine must be fused together. No discernible ankles. Severe out-toeing and a foot placement that makes it look more like a duck than a songbird. The pushed-back head is okay, but... I want to love this, I wish I could love this, but I'll keep my Fester, thanks.