Database Change

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Database Change

Post by Jazzy »

Sounds fairly dull, and it is a little, but it's also a fairly big change: you can now use viewpet.php to view all pets, both pre and post customisation. For example, before - if you looked at all draik colours, Split and Pirate wouldn't show up in the listing because they only existed in post-Customisation form, but now they do.

So, some examples:
All Draiks, happy new female
http://www.neocolours.me.uk/viewpet.php ... ppy+female
All Draiks, old happy pose (Pirate and Split don't display, since they haven't one)
http://www.neocolours.me.uk/viewpet.php ... =old+happy
The Pirate Draik (post-customisation - only those eight poses show up)
http://www.neocolours.me.uk/viewpet.php ... e&pose=all
The Blue Draik (all poses show up)
http://www.neocolours.me.uk/viewpet.php ... e&pose=all

The lookup generator also now uses the new happy poses exclusively.

Now this is set up...do people care about rating Neopets, since it's now possible?
Illuen

Re: Database Change

Post by Illuen »

This looks pretty damn awesome! Thanks for al of your hard work in getting this up!

I would be interested in rating Neopets, and if possible, being able to rate both old and new would be rather interesting, provided that people didn't just go around rating every single post customization pet 1.
No spoony bard could spin a sweeter tale.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

*Points up* Pretty much wait Illuen said. I'd like to compare both old and new pets together to see what species and color combos people think look better now.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Hmm, interesting, I'd not thought of that - possibly partly because we do already have this, which does a good job of proving how people will often simply vote something down because it's post-Customisation. Like the Hissi - this is the blue one. Why on earth does it have 60% in favour of the old version when it's barely changed, and the only real changes are to improve its shading? Oh, its wings are curled up; clearly, that ruins it :P Or the Chia - everyone hated the Chia, so why is there a clear majority in favour of the old one? I'm not entirely willing to code a comparative ratings system simply to find out that people hate the redraws now but prefer the colourfills. (If it's just rating the new pets, I can reuse the Subeta rating system's code.)
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Er... I actually think the wings curling up DOES ruin it the Hissi... well, not ruin it, but make it inferior to the old one. So, maybe that' s not the best example. :-)

I don't know that a comparitive rating is worth doing a lot of coding, but I'm probably not the best one to ask -- I hate rating things. :-) If it's easy to add ratings to the new Neopets, though, I think that might be worth doing -- it seems like a lot of people do enjoy the Subeta ratings.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Well, sure, but not so inferior that it's among the five most unpopular post-Customisation pets. That doesn't make sense, because I'm sure that if the Hissis were rated, they would not be in the bottom five - or even bottom twenty pets, if I had to guess.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Jazzy wrote:Well, sure, but not so inferior that it's among the five most unpopular post-Customisation pets. That doesn't make sense, because I'm sure that if the Hissis were rated, they would not be in the bottom five - or even bottom twenty pets, if I had to guess.
I don't know that we have any data yet about which are most unpopular post-customization pets. (That's one of the things the proposed rating system would tell us.) The data you're linking to just show that it was one of the pets for which the most people said they prefer the old version to the new version. So it was one of the five least popular revamps, not one of the five least popular pets post-customization. Your data show that a lot of people (60%) preferred the old Hissi to the new Hissi. It doesn't say anything about how they feel about the new Hissi relative to other new pets.

This is why there's nothing inconsistent about the Hissi being in the bottom 5 revamps, but not in the bottom 5 of the new pets: since the first compares the new Hissi to the old Hissi (but not any of the other new pets), wheras the second compares the new Hissi to all other new pets (but not to the old Hissi).

Note that a pet that was bad both before and after the revamp will probably score very low when compared to the other post-customization pets, but will probably be middle-of-the-road as far as feelings about the revamp are concerned. (Since it was bad before and bad after, people may not have any particular tendency to prefer one over the other.)

As a concrete example, I highly the Aisha will come out to be one of the top five post-customization pets despite being in the top five in terms of revamp preference. People didn't prefer the new Aisha to the old Aisha because they think the new Aisha is so much better than the other new pets, they prefer it because they thought the old Aisha was bad and the new one is better. :-)
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I'd be interested in rating these pets too. I don't know how people will rate them but hopefully it will be how Wingsrising described, we'd rate them in terms of what we're 'stuck with' and try to forget what the old ones looked like.

If someone goes through and rates all the pets 1 out of 5 it will lower the overall average, sure, but in the end they don't ruin the data too much because the scores will all be lowered by the same ratio.