Camouflage and Faerie Myncis

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
EofS

Camouflage and Faerie Myncis

Post by EofS »

Image Image

Those two combinations of colours do not look nice side by side...

I really love the camo - the patterning is subtle, the shades of green and brown are pretty unique on the site.

The faerie, meanwhile, hurts my eyes in a way I can't define. That blue and its shading is somehow neon and 80s and it really, really doesn't work for me. Which is a shame, because I think the wings are lovely.
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Re: Camouflage and Faerie Myncis

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Ew.

OK, I'll elaborate. I think the essential flaw, for me, is that I think Myncis are by their very design hideous, and neither of these colors helps that.

Camo, well, it quite literally works, but it's a fugly combination of greens. I can't pick out a single shade of green in there that I remotely like, and the combo makes me HOPE this poor creature goes to hide in some dead foresty underbrush until I forget it's there.

I LIKE the colors for the Faerie, even though they don't mesh together very well. And if it were "complete"-looking, the fuzzy top would be amusingly nifty. Even the slightest improvement on the shape of those sickly Mynci eyes would make a vast difference in this pet. As it is, I just want to throw rocks at it until it manages to flap those lovely wings enough to lift its fat belly and head into the clouds and out of sight.

Poor creatures...
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

Another pet I like that other people don't, probably because in a time of discomfort the only thing there for me to grasp onto was a Shadow Mynci plushie, so I suppose that would explain it. Now then...
I like the Camouflage. Not only is it normal colours, I can actually see it blending in with its environment! Now that is something you don't see too often!
The Faerie is most definitely a Faerie. It has a tuft of hair. The colours on the wings make it look like there's smaller wings behind them, which looks sort of weird. Not to mention the overall Mynci style isn't filled on it. Myncii are, after all, supposed to be troublemaking mischiefmakers, not happy little floaty biscuitheads. I don't see why you guys don't like the colouring on it, it's just bright because it's a faerie, you must remember, not Angelic like you're getting used to.
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
Slugawoo

Post by Slugawoo »

I hate myncis. I really, really do.

That's why I'm a bit peeved the faerie one got such nice wings. I love it's wings. but the fact that they're on a mynci just ruins them. :<

Camo's colors are really nice, too. But again... mynci.
varii

Post by varii »

I am neutral on myncis. For a while, one of my lab pets was a tyrannian mynci with robot casings and I became quite fond of how he looked. That being said I rather like these two colors. Camo is a really good camo. It seems like it could be a really good base color for layering.

The color scheme for faerie seems kinda off to me, but it isn't bad. The wings are very nice and not flying monkeyish at all. I love the idea of a mischievous faerie pet and somehow the faerie's eyes seem to have more attitude than the average mynci. Maybe it's the hair tuft.
rei @ neopets
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

The hair tuft is very ugly, to my eyes. It doesn't actually look that much like it belongs on a faerie pet- it makes me think 1980s pretty boy (New Romantic?). Combine that with the ugly mynci nose and it's not going at all well. I think antennae would have been better...

The faerie wings are pretty at first glance- perhaps they are a bit too solid looking, though. The colours used are maybe too subtle, something with more contrast would have looked less odd with the bright blue base colour.

Camo is actually really good- provided you like the basic mynci.
Neopets wishlists: here
EofS

Post by EofS »

nanabobo567 wrote:I don't see why you guys don't like the colouring on it, it's just bright because it's a faerie, you must remember, not Angelic like you're getting used to.
I can assure you that as somehow who won't touch Subeta with a barge pole, I'm not getting used to Angelic's pale colours. I simply don't like the colour and shading of it, especially in conjunction with the wings. It's ugly.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

The coloring of the Faerie Mynci reminds me greatly of the Faerie Eyrie, both of which I hate. Why is the Mynci glaring-neon blue? Its just not pleasing to the eyes at all. The hair tuft is silly and the sunken-in eyes make it look like its either dying for a good nights rest or having withdraw symptoms. I can't even say I like the wings, they are too bland :(

The camo Mynci is better, but I dislike the colors used on the stomach and face.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

I too am not "getting used to Angelic" because I hardly spend any time at all looking at Subeta pet images. The old, old faerie pets were in pastel shades (frequently with coloured lines) and many were not reposed:
ImageImageImage

It's interesting how faerie has come full circle back to the way it used to be, with pets in the basic pose. Unfortunately, the brush is not as cheap and readily available as it was. The majority of faerie pets, even the not so old ones, are in pastel shades. Some of the recent ones are exceptions to the rule, especially the last few before customisation- the tuskaninny, grarrl and techo.

The thing is, the colour faerie has changed its boundaries and defining factors- the only common factor has been the wings. Pastel colours and coloured outlines were the rule to start with, and then the pets got reposed though were still kind of crude (see the chia and usul) and then entered a golden age (lenny, wocky, yurble, pteri, xweetok perhaps). Now there's no repose and no coloured outline and the pastel rule has been abandoned so we're left with wings. But we can now add wings with customisation. Faerie has become almost redundant.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

I adore the color on the faerie mynci's wings, but unfortunately, as others have said, it just... doesn't work with the body color. It reminds me of when the jelly koi was first released and you could tell that transparency had been messed up somewhere - because the mynci's body is so -bright-, the wings look like they were done at the wrong opacity or some such thing.

I agree that the wings are a nice shape though - too bad they're stuck on a mynci ;_;

I'm not fond of camo in most pets, and I would like this one a lot more if the belly wasn't so blindingly lime green.
Cyaneus

Post by Cyaneus »

I like these. Which is saying a lot, since I'm not a Mynci fan.

I agree that the body color of the faerie doesn't match its lovely, lovely wings. I find it tolerable, though, because I like the hair tuft and the beautifully shaped wings. If I did like Myncis, I'd drool over it.

Camo's very well done, too, even if the shades are a little too puke-y for some. Most of my clothes are about those colors.

They're good additions. I approve.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

I like the camo mynci. Whether it's in spite of or because it looks like it's been rolling around in its own feces, I don't know. I like the coloring of the faerie mynci itself, but not the wings. They look dirty, or perhaps there's some weird transparency issues involving customization. After seeing the competition and realizing the potential for monkey pets everywhere, I like myncis much less now than I did before.
checkers

Post by checkers »

I love the Faerie Mynci, Mynci I have always had a soft spot for, Question, Can you remove Wings from a Faerie pet? Or are they actually part of the pet and not an accessories in this (Because you can put on wings, so can you take Faerie Wings off?) Because It's really nice as a mynci, I love the hair quiff but I don't like the wings.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

The wings on all the other faerie pets cannot be removed, so it's a fairly safe assumption that the wings on the faerie mynci won't be removable either. You can take the bell off the faerie kau and perhaps one or two of the other faerie pets have similar clothing things. But the wings are fixed.
Koryo

Post by Koryo »

checkers wrote:Question, Can you remove Wings from a Faerie pet? Or are they actually part of the pet and not an accessories in this (Because you can put on wings, so can you take Faerie Wings off?) Because It's really nice as a mynci, I love the hair quiff but I don't like the wings.
You can't plain take the wings off, but I'm pretty sure that, like darigan, you can replace them with other wings on the site. Can anyone confirm this? I actually don't have any faerie pets.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love..." ♥