New pound with transferring feature going live Monday!

Post anything new on Neopets here.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Re: New pound with transferring feature going live Monday!

Post by Jessi »

Madge wrote: I just wonder if you can "swap" pets using the transfer system. THAT would be awesome. (again once per month)
I doubt that'll happen... it seems like it would increase people trading pets, which is freezable, of course. This is the kind of thing that would be really awesome - if Neopets let us link our main to our sides, so they would know we're not trading, but just swapping.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Post by Rainbow Daydreamer »

The HC is not fun today.

"OMG why isn't the Pound open they said it would be open Monday THEY LIED!!!!111!"

Never mind that we still have roughly seventeen (?) hours left of Monday.
Visit Semiveteran Logic, disliked by eight out of ten Meepits.
mellaka
Human Avatar: 48736

Post by mellaka »

A lot of people are now saying that pets they have been watching in the pound now say "the owner of this neopet has been frozen" or whatever that error is.

This is not going to go over well ...

edit: I should've said "some pets" above. It doesn't seem to be all of them.
Last edited by mellaka on 28 Apr 2008 05:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rainbow Daydreamer

mellaka wrote:A lot of people are now saying that pets they have been watching in the pound now say "the owner of this neopet has been frozen" or whatever that error is.

Ack, a glitch? Oh, please don't say there's going to be another delay...
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I really wish we had a specific time for the Pound coming back, I've just found some pets I'd be very interested in adopting, but I'm sure they'll be snapped up in seconds. :(
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I'm not sure that's a glitch - it could well be intentional, to prevent the pound being flooded. Remember, the old system could only really cope with 60 pets, and if there's a limit on the new pound of even 10,000 pets it would not surprise me if that had been exceeded.
Feathercircle

Post by Feathercircle »

mellaka wrote:A lot of people are now saying that pets they have been watching in the pound now say "the owner of this neopet has been frozen" or whatever that error is.

edit: I should've said "some pets" above. It doesn't seem to be all of them.
I've noticed this for a few of the pets on my list as well, but I've also been noticing a pattern to it. All four of the pets which I've noticed go missing had relatively high levels (20+)... and according to their petpages, they all seem to be on the same account.

I suspect that this might be somehow deliberate, but I can't really be sure of that unless I catch a fifth. Four pounded pets appearing on the same account could be a hacker fooling around, but five or more on one account is more likely than not a sign of the Neopets Team at work. Remember when an account was discovered with dozens and dozens of formerly pounded Lutaris on it?
ImageImage
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I think this is all deliberate as well, and I agree that TNT's probably doing it to either ease the potential lagtime that'll come with people rushing headlong into the pound as soon as it opens. I'd like to think that they're going to release these frozen pets later using some sort of "batch" system (ala the release of LEs) as others before me have mentioned, but... this is TNT.
Remember, the old system could only really cope with 60 pets, and if there's a limit on the new pound of even 10,000 pets it would not surprise me if that had been exceeded.
This is what I don't understand. If it's been exceeded and they're simply trying to ease pressure on the system, then why are they going after the high-stat pets? Wouldn't it be more efficient to target the pets that are least likely to get adopted (and most likely to stay in the pound indefinitely, wasting space) like uncolored, common-species pets with horribly long strings of numbers attached to their names?

Unless they're trying to limit how many "special" pets are in the pound at any given time and are planning on releasing them later....
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I saw someone mention on the Neoboards that some people have been able to access the Pound somehow but they were frozen for doing so. I'm not sure if this is true, but it would match with what Feathercircle just said. =/
Rainbow Daydreamer

Man, I'm so scared... so scared that it's all going to go wrong now that we're so close.

I hope TNT know there are people who believe in them, despite the fact that it's the other sort who are the most vocal on the HC. But still... what if?
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

It's always very risky for them to say that they're going to release a particular feature on a stated day or week. I really doubt that they're doing it deliberately- I bet they have pets they'd like to move, too. It's far better that they fix an issue that's come up than they allow chaos to happen, however, it might have been a poor judgement call for them to say so confidently that it would be today that the pound would be up. Still, a last minute unforseen problem can happen to anyone.
Neopets wishlists: here
Rainbow Daydreamer

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at neopets.com.
If it lags, that means they're working...?
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I was able to open someone's petpage a few seconds ago. Getting to the main site seems impossible ATM, but it's still trying to load....

I don't know why I'm so antsy; it's not like I'm actually looking to adopt anything now. :P

ETA: Well, the news hasn't been updated.... And neither has the pound. Huh.
Rainbow Daydreamer

Sigh... it's 2am here and the site's stopped loading again. I'm going to bed, but with a heavy heart. I have a terrible feeling that it's all gone wrong, indeed.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I really doubt that they're doing it deliberately- I bet they have pets they'd like to move, too.
Even non-programmer staff transfers don't use the pound ;) There's more than one way to skin a cat...an Aisha.
This is what I don't understand. If it's been exceeded and they're simply trying to ease pressure on the system, then why are they going after the high-stat pets? Wouldn't it be more efficient to target the pets that are least likely to get adopted (and most likely to stay in the pound indefinitely, wasting space) like uncolored, common-species pets with horribly long strings of numbers attached to their names?
It's quite probable they have in many cases, but no-one's noticed because no-one's interested in those pets. Alternatively, since they're likely to use the database to release batches of pets, it's quite possible they've done something like sorted all the pets in the pound by level (since with databases you almost always have to sort on something, and level's as good as anything), and the first pets released would therefore be the lowest-levelled.