Again With the Domain Names: neocolours.me.uk

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.

Will http://neocolours.me.uk work for you?

yes
65%
no
18%
maybe, give me more options
17%

Total votes: 65

Zap

Post by Zap »

Bump.

So we now have this beautiful address at our disposal... can we use it?
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Yeah what's actually stopping us short of a little work needing to be done :p
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Post by Kamil »

Cheese wrote:Yeah what's actually stopping us short of a little work needing to be done :p
At this moment it's pointing to the front pages of the main site and the forum - but if you click on a link it kicks you back to the nc.empireirc.net address.

There's a very simple reason for that - I don't know how to do anything but park the domain name, I'm clueless on how to add existing folders and am afraid to try and learn lest I nuke the entire site.

That would be bad. >.<

So at this point either Jazzy or Joeno need to move stuff around because I don't know how to. Err, assuming they want to and stuff. =D

I got a form letter from the people I approached about neocolours.net reinterating that the name was worth a minimum of $888USD.

I'm not paying that much for it, no matter how sexy the name is. I'm willing to shell out a hundred or so, but not close to a thousand. Beyond the cost, the name really isn't worth that, and I'm not willing to be held up for that amount.

So that's where we are now, so far as I know.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

It's parked? Then I guess I could set up some redirects in the cpanel...see if that works.
Kamil
Not the nice one

Post by Kamil »

Jazzy wrote:It's parked? Then I guess I could set up some redirects in the cpanel...see if that works.
It is in fact parked -- and that's all. =D

I'm terrified I'll nuke the site if I try anything else - and though I'm quite sure Robin could get it back from the disc backups I hate to annoy her for my mistakes; I'd much rather save my annoynances for when I have not one clue how to proceed further.

God knows there are enough of those times, without my adding to my pre-existing twit factor by screwing up when I knew going in that screwing up was almost certainly going to be the result. >.>
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

argh. Entirely forgot that while I can set redirects from kamil.slashcity.com to neocolours.me.uk, I can't set them from nc.empireirc.net. Joeno, do you know how to get around that?
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

For me (on Firefox) when I click a link it still stays on the neocolours.me.uk domain. Logging in on the forums, and similar, do not work however, because that's still pointing to the nc.empireirc.net domain.

The domain is all set up and working like it should - it's possible to have multiple domains running next to each other - there's just a couple of links that'll need to be fixed. I can't do it for the forums (well, technically, I could do some fiddling, but I won't), and I'll do it for the main site soon. I don't really see the problem.

As for any automated redirects (so that you're forced to go to the .me.uk domain) - we didn't have those when going from kamil.slashcity.com to nc.empireirc.net, but I could do some .htaccess fiddling.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

The existing redirects are from /neocolours to /forum and so on- those were set in the cpanel (a pretty user interface for the .htaccess file, mainly).

And I'd totally forgotten about the forum thing. Going to do that now.
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

The originating URL doesn't care about what domain it's coming from, so it's just a matter of removing the original redirect and changing it to a redirect to neocolours.me.uk/forum instead.
Kamil
Not the nice one

Post by Kamil »

Yay for Jazzy and Joeno, it's all working now!

*dances in the new URL*

What? There's space there -- and possibly monkeys. Although I don't think they fly.

That would be cool, if one of the Mynci redraws could be done so it looked like the flying monkies from Wizard of Oz.

/random>

Now we just need to get rid of the "A Neocolours temporary forum." under the Neocolours up top and possibly replace the ugly phpbb banner with ours and it might start looking like home.

How weird will that be after all this time?
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Well, the existing redirects do now point to the new url- but nc.empireirc.net isn't involved, even going into the cpanel via the empireirc url and having set the forums to be at the neocolours address. You can see it yourself here (the login's the same as the ftp):
http://kamil.slashcity.com:2082/fronten ... irect.html
You can only redirect from slashcity.com urls- which I'm doing, but it isn't enough. Perhaps if we unparked the empireirc url- or would that just break it?
Joeno

Post by Joeno »

It says that it only redirects from kamil.slashcity.com, but it actually redirects from all URLs. If you want proof, just visit http://nc.empireirc.net/neocolours/viewtopic.php.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Weird...it's selectively redirecting for me. That link does redirect, but the topics don't. Oh, well.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

That's working for me (once I realised I needed to log in again) - and I finally get the 'N' icon! Thanks guys :D
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Saturn

Post by Saturn »

Eeeee!

I don't follow this forum, so I had no idea about all this till just now, when I noticed that the URL had suddenly changed and the little address bar icon thinger was back to being the lovely, lovely old rainbow N...

Neocolours is back! *does a stupid dance* Well, okay, technically it's been back for a while... but still!