RL Achievements and ToW

Non-neopets general discussion.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by TCStarwind »

Keeping in theme with the weather, we finally got snow here a few days ago. But it rained all day today, so now a good bit of the snow is gone and everything is covered with a sheet of ice. Which is great, because almost as soon as I got home, we put my dog outside, and then I had to rescue her from the backyard because the chain was frozen. One step outside, I slipped and fell flat on my rear. :) I have a wonderful memory.

But that's not why I'm posting. Achieveawoe time! I wasn't originally going to post about this, but the woe part hit me hard. I'm going to spoiler it because it's really tl:dr.
Spoiler: open/close
For the most part, today was a great day. Got dragged out of bed at 8:45, got in the car and slept some more. Woke up, ate lunch, went to TSO concert. Stared at Chris Caffery for 3 hours from front row (heartheartdrool). Got lost trying to find Fazoli's. Found Fazoli's and ate dinner. Came home. Fell on ice. Didn't get hurt. Saved dog from cold.

Checked email. Did a headdesk.

Little back info. I work at a movie theater. For the last year or so, I'm lucky if I get one day of work a week. And if that one day has not enough business, I get sent home early. Which happens a lot. This is usually fine with me, more so now that I have another job as a lab moniter at my college. Christmas hours usually aren't that bad. First year I worked there, we got Dreamgirls on the 25 and we had lines out the door from the time we opened until we closed. But I still got the morning off. The next year, I was scheduled for back up concessions and ended up getting several way-to-long breaks (including one that was two hours). Last year wasn't so bad. They let me take Christmas off and didn't give me crazy hours over my two week break. And that's just the holidays. Like I said, I usually only get one work day a week, and that's usually 4.5 hours. Minus the hours I lose when they send me home early, which is usually.

And don't forget about Halloween of this year. I would have taken it off so I could take my sister out trick-or-treating and dress up and do something fun, but it was Michael Jackson week, and we were supposed to be so busy that we'd be shitting our pants in fear. We weren't allowed to take off any days between that Wednesday and that Sunday. I'm in Chicago all day Monday through Friday, so Wednesday and Thursday were normal, but I was supposed to work on Friday and Saturday. Since I knew this long in advance, I didn't bother to make a costume and all of my holiday spirit (Halloween is my favorite holiday) was subsequently shattered. They ended up calling me off both days because no was was showing up. I could have had a great Halloween, but no, that wasn't good enough for them.

This break... not so much.

Last Friday was the end of the semester. I only had to work Saturday. That should have been a heads-up. Semester break and I only have to work one day? Something has to be wrong here... But nevermind that, I get to relax on a break for once. Yippie. I also requested to get Christmas off because for once, I have home holiday spirit, and I don't want to crush it. Got my schedule for next week today, and I'm more or less working from when the place opens until 8 or so at night everyday except for Saturday (which I requested off because I am again going to stare at Mr. Caffery for three hours) and Sunday (for whatever reason they had, I don't know why). Which basically means I'm working Friday and Monday through Thursday for this week, and for next week probably also Friday and Saturday (and who knows maybe even Sunday), likely with equally insane hours.

I know I sound like a whinging, crying baby, but I have two part time jobs and am also a full time, year-round college student. I get about four weeks a year to relax (two for Christmas break, and one each at the tail end of the other semesters). Is it so much to ask that I actually get to relax once in a while instead of waking up only to go to school or work? :( That and there's a whole bunch of other crap that I'm not going to bother to mention because this is already horrendously long.

My original plan for tomorrow (or today, since it's past midnight here) was to go and see the new Chipmunks movie with my mom and sister (because, surprisingly, they both want to see it and I'm so excited, the chipettes are so freaking cute) in the morning and then do stuff. But then I got my schedule, and after chatting with my parents, who are encouraging me, I'm going to take my mother and sister to see Chipmunks and then go quit and bitch at my managers. And then take my dad to see Avatar, and then continue with the yearly x-mas eve traditions. All while not showing up for any of my scheduled hours during the week.

Which seems like a pretty good plan to me, except for the bitching part because I'm completely incapable of yelling at people who are not my parents. What's the worst they can do? Fire me after I've already quit? Anyway, if anyone has any advice and can get it to me before I leave for the movie tomorrow at 11:30am-ish, I'd love to hear it. Especially if you can make sense of this text wall (my mind's all over the place right now).

Sorry for this rant. Internet-cookies for everyone who actually read this. ^_^
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Hey, giving you shit hours all year, then making you come in when it's inconvenient and you've already told them you want that time off... that's awful. You don't have to yell at them, but do tell them exactly why it is you're quitting, so there's no misunderstanding and they know they caused it.

But hey, I'm out of work, so I dunno if I'd trust me. ;) Maybe I should apply for your old job. Hrrrr.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

That sucks, dude :(. You definitely are in the right for quitting, especially since they can't seem to decide when they want you to work!

Make sure you let them know you're not turning up so they have the opportunity to roster somebody else on, or else your co-workers are gonna be the ones who have to pick up whatever slack there may be. Also, as Ty said, they need to know they're bastards!

Avatar is pretty awesome, though, so that is a good decision to see that :D
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I just want you guys to know that you're awesome. :')

I probably wouldn't be able to yell at them anyway; I am way too timid for something like that. At this rate, I'm just hoping I don't freak out and jump ship like I'm prone to because I'm a complete wimp. Which is probably why I havn't quit already...

And I'm not the only one this is happening to, either. This started happening to another girl, and she has a much better work ethic than I do. And just glancing at the work schedule makes it look like they didn't bother taking anyone's requests into account. And it sorta makes me feel bad because the managars are nice (mostly, they're not afraid to get tough when they need to but that's expected), and so are the rest of my co-underlings. And when I did quit I totally wanted to give a proper two week notice and all, but I just can't do this anymore. :( These people don't know how to schedule.

And I don't know if you'd want my job, Ty. We're getting paid minimum wage to deal with morons who can't tell time (or their right from their left).

And I can't wait to see Avatar again, too. :D I went to see it by myself on Sunday because I didn't think anyone else wanted to go, but I'll totally take my dad to the movies, especially a super awesome one. :>

This has made me feel slightly better about tomorrow. :)
Foghawk
Human Avatar: 254768

Post by Foghawk »

Computer woe!

My old box has been pretty much screwed ever since the 10.5.8 combo update - no afp access, flaky airport connection, dead clipboard, frequent unresponsiveness that spread among applications and forced me to hard reboot (very bad). I've been coping by using the command line to move my files around and by accessing them from my laptop, but yesterday the comp's ability to latch onto the LAN died permanently, and I found that trying to move my stuff off the damn thing turned out junk files (which couldn't be deleted and which kept me from ejecting the flash drive normally. Ouch.) Then it died again right in the middle of my making an overlay for Tycho.

I've pretty much given up on restoring the thing to usability; I doubt even upgrading the OS will save anything - I just hope that I'll be able to keep my system mods if I move everything to a new computer. Still, being without Photoshop is very frustrating. GIMP, you are my eternal enemy.
Faun

Post by Faun »

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! I hope you all got what you wanted. I did! :D
Neopets || Subeta
formerly known as fluffy-emo-wolf
Tumblr ||Twitter
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

If we're sharing snow, I just came across a photo taken in my hometown which has made it on to the BBC news site:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4697 ... 010534.jpg
Jesus is a little smaller than life-size, and the pale greeny-blue in the background is the sea.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

:D Achievemeeeeeeeeeeent in the form of SEEROW COMING TOMORROW! At this time tomorrow, FMD, Seerow, and I will be goofing off and having a great time xD I can't wait for her to get here!
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Achievements:
Had a pretty nice holiday season with family and friends, saw more friends than i had expected to. We mostly got gift cards, clothes, and some random little goodies.
The stuff in California went well in my absence. I found a great cat-sitter who clicked with my shy cat instantly, and they adore each other. My computer's recovery discs came in the mail, and i didn't have to sign for them.
My husband got all excited over a Wii, so we got one tonight with a little help from some gift cards! I flake between liking it and wishing we could have gotten a PS3 instead (we might eventually get one anyway, we're total console hoarders, and he has an old PS2). Both have cool features the other doesn't have. Perhaps the SD card slot will mean one thing might be OK with a Wii after all - custom music-based games?
I found a nifty portable desk with the help of SkyMall, so i'm one of those customers now.
I turned 33 on the 2nd.

Mini-woes:
Computer is still out for repairs, no idea when it'll be back. Grumph.
EXPENSIVE flights and rental car, pitiful car that i wouldn't buy for its rental price. We'll know better next time to see how we can keep costs below the three-times rate hike.
I had to leave back for California on my birthday so early that the first flight was completely in the dark (yeah, whining about going to Cali...). I didn't get to see any snow except a dusting in the dark on the way to the airport, and a slight worry that the roads might not be so great. And my home was one of those hit so hard that some people just to the north STILL don't have electricity, so it was just weird all i saw was dirty leftover piles and that dusting. Consolation: in the dark, there was a just-waning moon lighting a doe who walked to the side of the road and looked pretty in the snow. Phoenix airport pulled an Atlanta - we had to power-walk to make it to our next flight because we were kept in the plane so long after landing. The flight coming into Cali was rough, so between that and the screaming children i had to tolerate all weekend including the ones on this string of flights, my nerves were shot.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I think this qualifies as an achievement, since it's certainly not a tale of woe: I've been on NC for seven years today :D Exactly one-third of my life, since I'm now 21!
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

That is so cool! I love NC.
Image Image
Kari

Post by Kari »

Woe: I get back to FL from winter break, plug my computer and modem and all in, and the modem's dead. Again. This is the third time this year, I believe. Though it could be the AC adapter because I traded in for a new modem and that one didn't work either.
Anyway, I've got an appointment with the cable company tomorrow. I've been netless at home since Saturday.
derp
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

Achievement: I'm snowed in and can't get to work!

(ok, ok, it would probably be physically possible. But I like my car unmodified, and my body even more so)
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

I got called in to work this morning as lots of people couldn't get in because of the snow. I couldn't actually get my car out of my road but I managed to catch a lift in from a friend. Not too bad as I got to come home at 12 with a 5 year old Horsfield tortoise!! His previous owner couldn't keep him so he's been living in the reptile house at work for the last few weeks. I asked if I could adopt him and was given the go ahead a few days ago. I was supposed to be picking him up on Saturday but as I was in work today anyway I didn't see the point in waiting. He's technically my fiances tortoise as he's wanted a tortoise since he was little. He has been named Izzard and according to my other half "he is the best tortoise in the world EVER!"
Miguel

Post by Miguel »

I'm at home again :) Snow day 2!
Many thanks to EofS for the avatar and signature images.