RL Achievements and ToW

Non-neopets general discussion.
daisybell

Re: RL Achievements and ToW

Post by daisybell »

I got ID'd today at Sainsbury's (a supermarket chain, for non-Brits) when buying a DSi console and the new Professor Layton game. The game has a PEGI rating (the European equivalent of ESRB) of 7+ (which isn't even legally enforceable at the moment), and as far as I know, there is no age restriction on buying a DSi. And I'm 24 years old! Maybe I don't look 21, as the guy serving me said, but that shouldn't matter- it's not like you need to be an adult to buy these things, surely?! And how many 5'7" six year olds do you know? But he insisted on seeing some ID.

He also told me that there were age restrictions on selling cough lozenges (well, I could sort of understand this if they were the kind that were actually medicine, rather than just sweets with some menthol in them) and Sunday newspapers o_O

I left the store feeling like I was in some sort of crazy parallel universe where common sense had gone totally out of the window.
Neopets wishlists: here
Mongoose

Post by Mongoose »

That makes me feel better about being ID'd for buying solvent free glue a few days ago. Last time I answered the door to a window/conservatory salesman they asked if my mum or dad was in. I had to politely explain that I'm 28 and it's my house before closing the door and turning round to see my other half almost wetting himself laughing. But seriously ID'd to by a DS and Professor Layton? What do they think you're going to do - puzzle someone to death?? Crazy.

I've just made the worlds tiniest scones - not intentionally, clearly somewhere along the line something went a little wrong, they are literally bite size! I'm considering it an achievawoe as it was unplanned but they are quite cute, and still taste fine.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Sainsbury's also ID people for teaspoons, and refused my sister's ID a few days ago because "we don't accept foreign ID". It's a German passport! If it's good enough for border guards, it's good enough for alcohol...
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

This is a longer, slightly amusing story, but today i managed to give myself a second degree burn on my finger, complete with a blister, from a bagel.

I am not even kidding.

This is a woe, because not only does it hurt, but I feel pretty stupid.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Man, the number of times I've burned myself on white-hot marshmallows... I'm amazed my fingertips still have feeling.
Image Image
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

Yeah, I did that with a brioche with a chocolate centre I made - the sugar sticks and burns far too well. I thought I was being a bit of a baby until I saw how big a blister I got :P
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

That's exactly what happened - the sugar on my cinnamon bagel melted in the toaster and clung to my fingers upon removal. And that was my reaction, Jazzy! I was like "Geez, I'm making a lot of fuss over such a small--IS THAT A BLISTER?! O_o"

Stupid bagel.
champagnesoup

Post by champagnesoup »

Daisybell, Mongoose and Jazzy, I once got ID'd in Poundland for trying to buy plastic cutlery! Ridiculous. I'm nearly 21 but I don't drive or have a passport so I don't have ID - I rarely drink so there's not much point.
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Woe. I had to say goodbye to my good friend Ellen today, as she is moving to Washington DC Wednesday... which makes her the second friend in a month who has left Lawrence for the DC area! Sigh. I'm running out of local friends, heh. I told Lindsey maybe we've been looking in the wrong area this whole time and we should be thinking about moving to the east coast rather than north-west.
Officer 1BDI
Human Avatar: 150891

Post by Officer 1BDI »

I'm sorry your friend moved away, Jessi.
champagnesoup wrote:Daisybell, Mongoose and Jazzy, I once got ID'd in Poundland for trying to buy plastic cutlery! Ridiculous. I'm nearly 21 but I don't drive or have a passport so I don't have ID - I rarely drink so there's not much point.
I once got carded at a WalMart while buying permanent markers. I guess I understand the concern, though I still think it's a ruddy stupid policy. What did they think I was going to do if I were underage: go home and sniff the markers? And if so... why would an age limit magically stop me? It's not like sticking a sharpie up my snout becomes legal at the age of 21.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

No, but everyone magically becomes smarter at 21.

...wait, what? They don't? Geez... that sure explains a lot of crap....
Image Image
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

I guess this is kinda an achievement. XD I got my Gargoyles comics in the mail today! I'm so stoked to start reading them, but woe, I have homework. D8

Also, all cat and animal lovers should check out this website. It has hilarious little mini movies about the joys of living with a cat. It's incredibly adorable, and the book is making me giggle so hard. XD

Woe again: homework. :(
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I finally got my PR card in the mail. Yay! Took two months but with how fancy looking it is it makes sense. Now to work on getting health coverage and a SIN. Then after that I'll get a job. Whew, slowly but surely.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
Tom
Human Avatar: 231218

Post by Tom »

Soooo... the big day is finally here. Tomorrow, I shall be moving out from home and away to the sparkling lights of London and university. I don't know of the gravity of the situation has quite hit me yet, although I did just feel a spur of it, as I walked from bathroom to bedroom, realising I would not be able to do so in 24 hours. But yeah. I'm sitting in a room full of boxes and things that need to be put into boxes (disorganisation runs through the family) but overall, I'm keeping calm about it (maybe that's just me...) and doing things that I feel are important. Which, in the grander scheme, are not important. But yeah. I kinda just wanna stay at home and do nothing. Life is good that way. Oh, and I still don't have a student loan to speak of, as my letter got lost in the post somewhere, despite being a recorded delivery, so I'm going to be living off my bank account. Thankfully for me, somewhere in the back of my head, a long time ago, I told myself to save money. Though this morality has depleted over the years, there's enough there for me to live on. What else? Oh yeah, I'm sharing a bedroom with somebody I don't know yet. I hope they like late nights. :D
Subeta: Thomas
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

Good luck Tom! Let us know how you get on when you get back online.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark