Hydrus Hikei revamp!

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Kamil
Not the nice one
Human Avatar: 72834

Re: Hydrus Hikei revamp!

Post by Kamil »

AngharadTy wrote:I liked the old one, but it had to be tweaked to be up to standards. I really, really, really do not like this one. I like the pearls and the seaweed, but everything else is either too weird or too broken for me to like. That upraised forelimb doesn't even look possible, like it's missing a bone or... I don't know.

The hikeis have been doing so well lately. This is very disappointing to me.
What Ty said. Almost exactly what Ty said, only with an additional "really" added into the 'do not like' sentence.

In addition to disliking for these reasons, I hate how much it changed from its old art. Not only is the entire pose changed, but more importantly, to me anyway, the personality of the pet is changed entirely.

I HATE when that happens.

I owned one for the longest time, and I am so glad I changed my pets around before this happened.
Image Image
MM and Twofold rock, yo.
Alicorn
Human Avatar: 160932

Post by Alicorn »

I wasn't a fan of the old one and I find this one an improvement. I like the pearls in place of the orbs and the way the stripes look wavey. I also really like it's teeth. The missing leg bothers me a bit. I'm having trouble imagining how it's positioned. In all, it's a nice update.
Sig/Av by: thelonetiel
C. Dagger

Post by C. Dagger »

I really, really love the concept for this and I do love Hikeis very much, but I have to say I don't really like this pet. :c

The hair on its head and back doesn't seem to be flowing naturally (especially near the face) and something about the bottom lip seems off. BUT I don't know horses very well, so this isn't a critique of any sort, it's just something that bothers me.

I love the pearls and the pose itself, but I feel like there's something off about the final product.

Like Helios said, I really want to like it, but I don't. :<
Sparrow
Human Avatar: 158026

Post by Sparrow »

Nooo! I just logged into Subeta today after a long hiatus... I don't like it. :( I was in love with the old one, the muted colors, pearly eyes, pose, wavy mane, everything. The new one, while very well-drawn and fierce, just doesn't fit my pet's personality at all. *sad* Ytterbium will have to be changed now. Which is a real shame, I believe he was my first Hydrus pet. RIP old Hydrus Hikei, I will miss it.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Eurgh...

I can't say much about the original, I don't really care for the Hydrus colour in general, but this revamp is definitely worse in my opinion. The face is just completely throwing me off, it doesn't look anything like the original. The neck is very thick, and the head itself looks shortened and stubby. The snout is way too stumpy, plus that cheek looks really puffed out. The expression is just....blah. I don't like the mouth either with the teeth sticking out like that, reminds me of a donkey more than anything.
Image Image
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Mistress Morbid wrote:I don't like the mouth either with the teeth sticking out like that, reminds me of a donkey more than anything.

Agreed. Everytime I see that mouth, it looks like it's braying. The wispy hair on the front legs, and the pearls are a nice touch, but the old pose seems so "alive" and animated. The personality feels changed to me as well. I don't like it either, but hikeis in general seem hit or miss to me. Some are adorable and graceful, some are badly posed and misshapen.
ImageImage

Thank you TCStarwind for the lovely signature! ^_^

FC bets: http://www.neopets.com/~DazedBoy
Rah

Post by Rah »

Huh? The hikei IS a donkey. Well, an ass, actually. It's supposed to be short and stubby and definitely not graceful xD I mean, I get that you don't like it - but saying that it reminds you of a donkey is kind of a well done to the artist!
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Rah wrote:Huh? The hikei IS a donkey. Well, an ass, actually. It's supposed to be short and stubby and definitely not graceful xD I mean, I get that you don't like it - but saying that it reminds you of a donkey is kind of a well done to the artist!
I honestly thought it was more of a zebra/horse cross. o.o
Image Image
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Haha, wow. All these years I thought of it as a My Little Pony/zebra thing too. *goes to check other hikei colors*

....Nah. Too cute to be a donkey. Obviously it's whatever the artist and staff say it is, but there's no way I would have guessed it to be what it actually is.
ImageImage

Rah

Post by Rah »

Too cute to be a donkey?! OMG DONKEYS ARE CUTE WHAT ARE YOU SAYING. Lolol.

It definitely has zebra overtones, but then again zebras have always looked like striped donkeys to me anyway (I think it's the bristle like hair). MLP is definitely an influence too, as you'll see by the hydrus hikeis starfish on it's hip, and by the glade one's little butterfly wings! But MLP's aren't graceful. They're short and stubby too xD

I am a /tad/ biased on it all though. My hikei, Mule, has been strange looking since day 1. I love NK's grasp of the hikeis so so much!
bonecrivain
Incorrigible Bookworm
Human Avatar: 157826

Post by bonecrivain »

I think donkeys are cuter than horses, on average. Miniature donkeys, especially.
Usul_Princess

Post by Usul_Princess »

Bone: Awwww. That first picture is cute! I don't think they're ugly per se, but I just associate the animal itself with something that annoys me. (Their teeth gross me out for some reason). Same thing with sheep, llamas, and alpacas. They look fine, but have that barnyard stench and pour out snot and saliva when they want to eat from your hand. (I try avoid to a farm or a petting zoo.)

....Hikeis still look like horse/zebra mixes to me.
ImageImage

ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Jessibean wrote:ZomgethMew, the teeth aren't really strange - they're meant to look like an actual horse's teeth, I think xD
Oh, that makes sense.

I agree with Helios - I want to love it, but I can't. I'm not a big fan of Hikei anyway, but I find most of them pretty nice and something that I might own, were I a bigger fan of horses in general xD. This one.. not so much.

..And I thought Hikeis were horse/zebra mixes, too.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie