Hydrus Swampie and Wyllop revamps

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Hydrus Swampie and Wyllop revamps

Post by Jessi »

I gotta admit, I'm a little underwhemled by the Swampie... partially because it's a Swampie, hah. I just don't think it looks like a Swampie's face. It's Hydrus, so I know it's a bit... hm, distorted? That's not the right word, but I just don't think it matches the rest of the Swampies very well. Still, it's better than the old one... but the old one wasn't that great xD

I love how the art has been touched up to match the new Wyllop but the old pose and feel of the pet was kept! NO MORE TUMOR FACE. I like the new position of the tail too, it makes the pet look a bit fiercer than it did with its tail tucked between its legs. But I like all Wyllops. I'm lame like that ;_;
Mistress Morbid

Re: Hydrus Swampie and Wyllop revamps

Post by Mistress Morbid »

The Wyllop looks a little less detailed to me in some places. The highlights seem duller on this new one. I also prefer the old eyes, they looked more fierce.
Last edited by Mistress Morbid on 26 Aug 2009 04:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Image Image
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Hmm, I did like the eyes of the old Wyllop better. Overall though, it's a good revamp and think it turned out nicely. The tail between the legs always bugged me about the old one, so I'm happy it was moved!

I actually adore the new Swampie's face. It doesn't really match the rest of the species, but that may be why I like it. Overall though it just seems bland. I think all the various fins/seaweed thingies should have been turned green to make it stand out a bit more. It's just rather monotone. But I do love that face!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

The Swampie has never impressed me and this does not change that thought. I think it looks really bland like Seerow said. The eyes don't even look shaded.

The Wyllop, I'm kind of unsure about this one. I'm glad they moved the tail to a more natural position, but it looks undershaded in my opinion. I think maybe the colour of the original's should have been kept and just shaded differently to match the Subeta style. I agree the eyes and expression don't look as fierce. I think the open mouth with the little teeth showing was more threatening. Now it just looks like the fangs were pasted on? I don't know; I just know these two needed revamps and what's happened has happened.

I agree with Skitty. I've noticed the style change for awhile now. It goes way back to the release of Glade, as far as I'm aware. And I'll be honest, I don't like it. It looks too flat (especially at a distance), even though the shading is there. :?
Last edited by Pyrostatic on 25 Aug 2009 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skitty

Post by Skitty »

I wasn't aware that Wyllop was on the revamp list. :( I don't get this new trend of super-light shading. It just looks... flat. And often bad. That and a considerable loss of detail all over the pet (most noticeable on the ear and back fin)... I'm glad they fixed the 'pancake style' face that the old one had, but the new face has broken perspective in a different way.

I guess I'm the only one who liked the old Wyllop's tail-between-the-legs. That, the hunched posture, and the expression made me think of it as an evil underling of the lowest possible rank... bossed around by the higher ranking Hydrus minions, but no less dastardly. Kinda fitting for a rat, I thought.

Swampie is still a Swampie. I barley remember the old one; I'd hazard this is probably an improvement, but sadly still a Swampie.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

The Hydrus Wyllop was my second favorite (Reborn is my fave) and I'm really disappointed in this one! It does look flat and less detailed compared to the other - the eartufts aren't as detailed, the back spines aren't as severe, the nose isn't as detailed... the mouth looks a lot softer and less fierce than the old one. I don't like that the tail is so close in color to the body, there was more contrast with the old one that was good. I'm not sure where those bony protrusions are coming from, I thought they were coming on the spine of the tail? Now they look like they're coming from it's butt.

The only thing I like about the redraw is the back foot looks really good. I don't even understand why the Hydrus needed to be revamped, anyways? The old one certainly didn't look like old art.

Does anyone have the old Hydrus Swampie image for comparison?
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

I agree with everything you said Mayhem, you pointed out all the little details that were bothering me. ><

Here's the Swampie:

Image Image

EDIT: Old picture fixed. ><
Last edited by Mistress Morbid on 26 Aug 2009 04:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Sparrow
Human Avatar: 158026

Post by Sparrow »

Awwww. C'mon. The Wyllop is the second Hydrus revamp I don't like (first was the Hikei). And both happened to be pets that I own. :( I like how the artist kept the basic pose of the pet, which is great, but the shading is just so flat. I want to like it... I do like the small improvement to the back foot... but every time I look at it, I just think of how deep and detailed the shading of the old one was, which is why I liked it. *sigh* Not sure what to do now. Get another Hydrus pet, or a different Wyllop? Oh well.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

Looks like the urls got mixed up MM :) Here's the old one:
Looking back at it, I wish the new one had those neck spikes!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

The Swampie is a definite improvement, and I like the new horns instead of the neck spikes. I wish the artist went a bit more leafy sea dragon with it than it is now, though! This color on the Swampie has a lot more potential than what it has, but it wasn't really taken advantage of.
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I actually really like the Wyllop. I never liked the old one, I thought the shading made it look made out of plastic. The new one solved that, and now it's a pet I'd consider getting for myself.
Aisu
Human Avatar: 314900

Post by Aisu »

I like them both! Can someone post the old Wyllop? o:
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

They're not shiny enough for me. I also was confusing the hydrus serpenth with the swampie and was temporarily outraged.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

*laughs* I'm personally glad the wyllop isn't covered with highlights anymore. One of my least favorite things about the old Wyllop was how SHINY it was - it looked like it was covered in plastic. Also, Mayhem, the spines on the Wyllop's back ALWAYS come from... well, it's back. On the old Hydrus one the spines were coming out of the tail... so technically it was the wrong one xD
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

Shiny wet fur or shiny wet skin. Shiny seems appropriate here, and Huggles like shinies.