Hydrus Tutani

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Bonkers

Hydrus Tutani

Post by Bonkers »

I'm not really a big fan of Tutanis [apart from the chibi], so I can't really judge it.
I do however like the dangley light things[?].
EDIT: I'm not really a fan of the webbed flippers.
Last edited by Bonkers on 04 Sep 2009 09:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Re: Hydrus Tutani.

Post by Seerow »

I love how the paler brown markings were done, they are very pretty. The lights and spines are also neat.
Not liking the webbing too much though. It seems to short to really do much and would get in the way of swimming. Maybe it should have been turned to look more like a manta ray, that could ahve been neat.
That, and it so should have had a horn like a Narwhal!
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
thelonetiel
Human Avatar: 15268

Post by thelonetiel »

Why does Hydrus suddenly mean "Webbed Limbs"? It makes no anatomical sense. You know what has webbed limbs? A sugar glider. Flying mammals =/= Hydrus. If you want webbing on a pet, go get a Manchu, there it actually makes sense! The stuff between horns, like on this Tutani, sure, that's fine, it's a hydrodynamics thing. But when was the last time you saw a fish with its fins connected to its tail like that? That kind of webbing would be delicate, restricting, and useless, all very bad adaptations.

Some of these new Hydrus pets are really disappointing because the webbing will totally ruin an otherwise great pet. As long as they don't revamp my Hipposauru to have silly webbed legs, I guess I shouldn't complain to much.

The lanturnfish lights are a great touch, and the swirlies are pretty. The light and dark patterns are nifty and creative. It just would be better without webbing.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Ugh, that webbed membrane is really starting to bother me too. It looks so stretched and taught, I just can't imagine a creature moving comfortably with it.

The rest of the Tutani is nice, though I'm equally surprised they didn't put a narwhal-esque horn there. The glowing lures area great addition, and I like the shade of colours used.
Image Image
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

Thelonetiel hits the nail on the head. I don't know why webbing is constantly being added to Hydrus pets. I mean, it's fine if it's done right. This, unfortunately, did not turn out all right. The webbing connecting to it's tail is just so awkward. It looks like if it tried to swim, the webbing would be stretched and break. It just doesn't make sense or look right. It's also a victim of the typical undershading syndrome. The expression on it's face looks like it's straining. So, so awkward...And maybe it's just me, but it looks small.

I've never cared for Tutanis, and this definitely does not impress me. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the quality for pets has gone down this past summer. I really hope it doesn't carry over into the next theme.
Last edited by Pyrostatic on 04 Sep 2009 08:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldenchaos

Post by Goldenchaos »

It looks more like stretchy filmy mucus than webbing.

I like the growly face, though
Image Image
ImageImage
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Honestly, I don't care for the body shape. With the short, chubby shape of it my first thought was "Bath toy!"

I do like the lures, though.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

The large stretch of webbing looks so taut that it actually sets me on edge a little. I fear for the tutani!
Image Image
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

Wings - now that you've said that, I can't shake the image of Merana in a bathtub, with tons of floating Hydrus Tutanis, grabbing them and making them fight one another while making growling noises. And maybe giving them voices so they can say things like, "PREPARE TO DIE".

I agree with all of the above about the webbing. It doesn't make a pet look more Hydrus, it just makes it look more awkward. How can they fight with the constant threat of tearing?

Also, it looks a little plain on the body - I like all the details added and can't think of anything to add that wouldn't look silly, but that blank patch right above the fin we can see makes it feel sort of unfinished, to me.
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Ditto what everyone else already said about the webbing. I'm not a big fan of this rendition of the tutani. It looks very thick from top to bottom, and then it's tail dwindles to nothing. Although I realize the perspective is the idea behind it, it still looks very wrong.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Re: Hydrus Tutani

Post by Huggles »

I had a feeling this would be awful or amazing, with no middle ground. I'm surprised that it's not either. The winged flippers are bad. Even if they somehow made sense, they simply look awkward. I'm usually a fan of tutani redraws, I have three and could go for one more, but this doesn't float my boat. Although, it may cause it to capsize. *

*I know that wasn't funny, but I don't care.
Aqua

Re: Hydrus Tutani

Post by Aqua »

Agreed that the membrane between the fins and tail looks odd. It's probably one of the more difficult pets to turn hydrus though..