Hipposaru revamp poll - Now completed

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Hipposaru revamp poll - Now completed

Post by Seerow »

ImageImage
Hipposaru is finally getting some attention, sadly I don't think I like it so far.

My main concern is the face. It's a weird mix of coyote and elf to me and it doesn't work at all. The dark wide strip down the back is also very strange looking, I keep thinking it's covered in mud. And I adored the old wings too. These little tacked on ones aren't doing anything for me.
I do like the new hands and the added spots though, nice bit of detailing. I hope this gets more work, especially to the face, before it's revamped though.

As a kinda neat side note, I was the third person to vote and the first to vote for the old XD

Edit:
It seems it's going to be getting a rename too. Click for thread to suggest idea.
Last edited by Seerow on 02 Oct 2009 04:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Re: Hipposaru revamp poll

Post by hebdenhippy »

I really love the new one. The face is very sweet, I love those big ears! The markings are a good addition, too. My only complaint is the wings, I would have preferred large, proper wings. Still, I think it's a great revamp and I could actually see myself owning one.

It's nice that they're taking suggestions on the name. I don't have any ideas myself but I think it's really good that they're allowing the users to contribute ideas.
Aqua

Post by Aqua »

Yay, the hipposaru really needs attention. I'm not sure about the spots going down the legs, but I like the ones on the head.
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Hmm....well I can't say I've ever been a fan of the pet, though I agree it's in dire need of a revamp.

Somehow this new one doesn't do anything for me though. The lineart and shading and everything are great, but too many little details ruin it for me.

I agree with Seerow about the head. The face just looks odd, and I don't like the ears. For some reason it seems lopsided or wonky, I'm not sure. It could use some fine tuning. The far back foot also bothers me with its angle. I don't think we should be able to see the bottom pad of the foot like that. I'd also prefer more realistic wings to the tiny floaty ones.

The new markings are nice though, I like the circles. I'm not such a big fan of the brown splotch on its back though.
Image Image
TCStarwind
Human Avatar: 99635

Post by TCStarwind »

Pretty decent prevamp. I love the new spots (they look like jewelry), and I don't mind the wings. But the snout needs to be wider, more the the original (and an actual hippo). And something needs to be done with those dopey teeth. They'd look much better if they were shortened (so that they don't protrude past the tip of its chin).

The pose is really nice, but it seems unusually animated for a common pet, though it certainly could be used for one of the redraws. I know it's in the same pose as the original, but it looks like it galloping towards something, where the old one looked more like it was landing and about to relax. I know I'm being stupidly nitpicky, and I'm sorry. Just ignore this paragraph.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

I actually like the face. I don't know what or who it reminds me of, but it reminds me of something I like a lot.

And the tiny little chibi wings are better than the alternative - more detailed and realistic but still implausibly small wings due to the box size (looking at YOU, Serpenth!).
ZomgethMew

Post by ZomgethMew »

Seerow wrote:Hipposaru is finally getting some attention, sadly I don't think I like it so far.
That's exactly how I feel :/ According to the staff, Hipposaru is apparently not meant to be a hippo? what.

I'm glad the Hipposaru is getting revamped at last.. But I don't like this revamp. That's really all I can say :p.
Neopets: wocky_luvpet5566 | Subeta: omg_carrie
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

SUGGESTIONS
* Kiboko/Hiboko
* Pipoh
* Hippottu/Pottu
* Pheryx
* Rupi
* Gahana
* Nadigani
I'm not impressed with any of the names suggested so far. Honestly, what's wrong with Hipposaru? It sounds nice and fits the pet. The only one I sort of like is Nadigani, but that makes me think of a snake. And Gahana instantly brings to mind guano.
They are all miles better then Rreign though so I guess I really can't complain too much.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

I love the markings on the head, but the ones on the limbs just look forced, just there to add to the circle-marking theme and not well planned out. The tiny wings are cute, but... weird. Even more pointless than wings normally are on a hippo.

Nice to see the attention, though. I usually forget the species exists.
Image Image
Sunwolf
Human Avatar: 36334

Post by Sunwolf »

I like it very much; it's adorable and very unusual. The jewelry-spots are lovely. I would like it better if the silly useless wings were removed, though. They seem fake and kind of jarring on such a detailed, realistic pet. And I'd go out and potion one of my pets immediately if the dopey buck teeth were hidden.
My computer is connected to the internet and the internet contains everything in the whole wide world ever. I don't know about you but I sometimes find everything in the whole wide world ever a bit distracting.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Seerow, you cracked me up with your comparison so much xD Coyote and elf?! Brilliant.

Just to comment on the namevamp - we just don't want it to have the word 'hippo' in it anymore. Obviously this pet is most largely based on a hippo (i mean geez, it's no giraffe, is it?) but it's not a hippo, it doesn't live in africa, and of course it has wings. A bit of indian influence now to it with the bindi stuffs. Mostly we wanted a place to add accent colours too (the pink on arid, the teal on cream) that wasn't so distracting.

Looks likely that the wings will be changed, and the muzzle, and probably the backplate (which was yes, a plate, and was an idea of mine based on rhino plates but I suppose didn't quite come out right! NK was always a bit hesitant with it xD). I don't think the wings will get HUGE or anything though. I mean, no usable wing is ever going to hold up a hippo! And when they get too large they're just too hard to place in the canvas without making the pet look teeny. But a bit more detailing to them and /slightly/ bigger should work, I think.

I'm very fond of NK. She's very good at taking crits and is lovely to work with.
Wingsrising
Human Avatar: 157670

Post by Wingsrising »

Honestly, I think the Hipposarus illustrate a long-held belief of mine, which is that when you're drawing or sculpting, the most important thing is for the "rough" version of the work to look good. Not just good anatomy, but a good, solid, aesthetically pleasing pose.

If the rough version is good you don't need a lot of detail to make the final piece look good, though of course you can go that route, too.

If the rough version is bad, you can put all the beautiful detail and shading on it on it you want: it's still not going to be as good looking as a rough but well-posed piece.

I think the problem is that the new Hipposaru is lovely shading and detail on a not-so-lovely base. The head position is awkward, the legs are hanging out everywhere. It's just fundamentally not beautiful.

The old Hipposaru has a few obvious problems (that line on the leg, the awkward position of the wing behind the head) and of course it doesn't have the lovely detail and shading. But the pose is pretty. It's compact and has a nice sense of movement (I agree it looks like it's landing). No legs hanging all over here.

I think that really the artist needs to go back to the drawing board and make the underlying pose, well, prettier. More collected, better sense of movement. The stuff that needs to be fixed isn't the details, those are fine, it's the basic pose that needs brushing up -- compacting, if that makes sense. Directed energy.

Please don't take this as a jab at the artist. These things happen. :-)
Seerow

Post by Seerow »

Hehe, glad I made you laugh Rah! Seriously though, it looks like coyote/elf hybrid to me XD Maybe the new name should be like...Eyote 0_o Or Flyote. Heh, sounds like float. This is why I am not posting in the naming thread!

Anyway! Glad to hear the wings are going to be redone. Hopefully they'll go back to the feathery style of the old one and move away from the strange anime wings. The wings themselves are nice, just not on a Hipposaru. Something along the wings of the Ippo would look nice I think and be closer to the one everyone is familiar with:

Nk was taking all the critiques really well, I'm impressed! Granted there wasn't near as much bitching on the comments like usual.

I think the armour plating could have worked if it had been elsewhere on the pet as well, like on the arms and such too. But that would have been a really drastic change from the old design lol. We need a rhino pet now Rah!
Mistress Morbid

Post by Mistress Morbid »

Aww, the Ippo is actually really cute, I wouldn't mind if the Hipposaru became somewhat more similar to it. :)
Image Image
Pyrostatic

Post by Pyrostatic »

While the Hipposaru needed an update, this is just...Scary to look at.

First, I must say the spots and pattern reminds me of an experiment or alien pet. I know the artist is trying to make them look unique, but I don't think spots are the way to go. At least, not the way they're placed on the body. Someone in the NC posted their take on where the spots should be located and I think it's more natural and much prettier: Image

The next thing that really bothers me is the anatomy. It just...the left front leg doesn't look natural. It should be turned more and raised a bit higher if it's supposed to be leaping. I personally think the buck teeth should be taken out or more hidden to where you can see the jaw more, cause they look flat and pasted on to the smile. The ears are okay. I think maybe if they were a bit smaller and not so triangular, but a bit more round and smaller, like the old one. And the wings should be bigger in my opinion. I think the old wings size was perfect. These wouldn't be able to carry a Hipposaru's weight and body shape; even if that's not the intention, the proportions look unbalanced.

Oh and the right front leg, it should be placed a few inches further back. It is not possible without the Hipposaru sliding too forward and landing on it's belly. Plus, the lines seem to become lost right where the chest meets up with the right front leg and neck.

But I love the base pelt and tail colours and the new saddle back. The eyes are pretty too. There's not much more I can say about the pet cause I'm not a fan of the species.

I did the best I could at being constructive. And as for a new name, I think Kibuko (variation of Kiboko) would be fitting. =)

@Rah, it's a backplate? I think it looks very lovely for the species! It works great in my eyes. I say keep it! =D