Pokemon D/P/Pt discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
checkers

Post by checkers »

No Offence but ROFL@People who actually read the guides! XD I find that boring, then you're just being told what/where to do things. I prefer playing it like a real trainer would, not knowing where/what happens next.
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

checkers wrote:No Offence but ROFL@People who actually read the guides! XD I find that boring, then you're just being told what/where to do things. I prefer playing it like a real trainer would, not knowing where/what happens next.
LOL, I don't read the guide like a bible or anything. Sometimes I'll check to see what kinds of Pokemon are on the route I'm on ... and that's pretty much it, honestly.

I'm a guide collector. :P
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
checkers

Post by checkers »

Mayhem wrote:
checkers wrote:No Offence but ROFL@People who actually read the guides! XD I find that boring, then you're just being told what/where to do things. I prefer playing it like a real trainer would, not knowing where/what happens next.
LOL, I don't read the guide like a bible or anything. Sometimes I'll check to see what kinds of Pokemon are on the route I'm on ... and that's pretty much it, honestly.

I'm a guide collector. :P
Oh, I use Serebii for that, because like I have a team of Pokémon that are my dream ones and I wish to catch them on my journey.
Like say I'm playing and it pops up
[Route 202]
I'd be like Ooh, *serebii* You can catch 'blahblah' here

Other than that I don't use serebii, only to find where pokemon are otherwise it's kinda like you're being told what to do, where to do it and when to do it.

I'm more of a Contest person honestly, but I do the gyms and elite 4, but mainly I focus on combo and appealing moves.
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Um, except most people I know (including FMD and I) use the guides for having an on-hand Pokedex. If I'm hanging out away from the computer, or on road trips - the time I tend to play these games the most - i can't exactly boot up the internet wherever I am.

I could care less about the guide book telling me where to go (besides, anyone who has the D/P guidebook will probably agree with me that it seems to suck, a lot) but there's nothing wrong with having an on-hand reference.

Using a guide book is no different than using serebii.net or any other website to tell you where you catch Pokemon/where to go/looking for help. So if you really want that statement to be correct, you'd be best saying you don't use ANY sort of reference - including this topic.
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

jessibean wrote:
Um, except most people I know (including FMD and I) use the guides for having an on-hand Pokedex. If I'm hanging out away from the computer, or on road trips - the time I tend to play these games the most - i can't exactly boot up the internet wherever I am.
I actually noticed that the Pokedex in the guidebook ... really, really sucks. Unless there's a different guidebook that everyone got (I got "The Official Pokemon Scenerio Guide"). It just says where to find them to complete the Sinnoh-Dex, but beyond that ... nothin'. I got a little advertisement for a complete 482+8 Pokedex guidebook in it, though. :P
Varicolored on Subeta
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Yes, the Pokedex in this guidebook sucks ass as well x_x I thought it was going to be like the one in the RS guidebook, which kicks ass. It has a really nice contest guide though, which is good, since I've become suddenly addicted to contests and was happy to see they were back in this game :D
Kidnemo

Post by Kidnemo »

YAY! I just ordered mine, it'll be over here in good old Blighty in 1-2 working days! =D

hee, I've always used guides in the past, NOM did some really decent ones for R/B and G/S. The DP guide was going to get four weeks to come so I'm going to try it without one, probably using my new <strike>sexbook</strike> Macbook for a pokedex. I don't see anything wrong with using guides.. they really expand the game and besides if you've paid good money for a game I reckon you have a right to play it however you like.

I hope this generation is good, to be honest I found Ruby and Sapphire pretty dull, wifi trading and Battle Colloseum will hopefully liven it up about though.
Last edited by Kidnemo on 22 Apr 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anubimon

Post by Anubimon »

Yeah, no one is releasing a PokeDex guide until May. >> That's really annoying, but ah well... At least there's Serebii's site.
I'm currently dicking around in the game, levelling before the first gym battle. Have a level 14 Monferno, and I'm trying to evolve my Starly. Powerlevelling is fuuuun~
The balls of evil are never safe from the steel-toed boot of JUSTICE!!!
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I've gotten my copy and have been playing it with a buddy who also got it. We're such dorks.

As for guides, I like to have them around but I usually don't bother until after I beat it the first time through. And I didn't have any money for it this time either. They're fun, and really useful for on hand things.

So what guide books do you guys have so I can know which ones to avoid?
Ierosbats

Post by Ierosbats »

Mrerrggh.

The EB I pre-ordered at hasn't received their shipment yet. They said hopefully the games will arrive before they close tonight, but still. Suck.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
NyauNyau

Post by NyauNyau »

Check Circuit City, Shmoe! It IS 27.99...x3 Haha, there were a few other people there..: | they also had WIIs..ugh.I want it, but I think Ill wait on it for awhile.

The reasons I get guides are so that I have pics of the Pokemon and know when its good to evolve them, so I don't miss out on an awesome attack. Such a Hydro Pump, Mudkip is the only one that learns it, so, evolving it wouldve been a waste. :D Im glad I waited. Otherwise it wouldve learned Mud Slap instead.

AHH..I have Diamond, with Pearl on the way..I got both, for the first time. :x Which is awesome, now I can catch them all

: | Haha, cheating makes you hungry for more, its tedious to level up the normal way.
Nothing To See Here
Mayhem

Post by Mayhem »

Anubimon wrote:Yeah, no one is releasing a PokeDex guide until May. >> That's really annoying, but ah well... At least there's Serebii's site.
I'm currently dicking around in the game, levelling before the first gym battle. Have a level 14 Monferno, and I'm trying to evolve my Starly. Powerlevelling is fuuuun~
YAY, glad to see I'm not the only one! *eyes level 16 Prinplup*

I am LOVING the new Poketch watch thing, especially the pedometer. That is going to come in handy SO MUCH for egghatching and stuff, I know that much. I can't wait to play with the other dorky apps that I get for it! *_*

Also, Nyau, you're going to be sorely disappointed. No elaborate Pokedex list at the end of the official guide - just where to find them, and that's IT. D<

Joey, I said above I had The Official Scenario Guide. :3

Let me know if you guys find a guide that DOES have at least a Sinnoh-dex in it!
Varicolored on Subeta
Jessi

Post by Jessi »

Mayhem wrote: I am LOVING the new Poketch watch thing, especially the pedometer. That is going to come in handy SO MUCH for egghatching and stuff, I know that much. I can't wait to play with the other dorky apps that I get for it! *_*
That is one of my favorite new features of the game!! When I finally figured out what it was, I freaked out xD I get SO frustrated with breeding because I never know how many steps I walk, so this'll be wonderful! That and the ability to RUN INDOORS are my two favorite parts so far.

And my starter is level 17 already if it means anything to all of us power-levelers xD And I haven't played much today - keep taking breaks!
NyauNyau

Post by NyauNyau »

I was the luck to find someone that was selling a hard cover Pokedex book..It has all the Pokemon up to Sapphire/Ruby, as well as where to find them. No Emerald info since this was before the game was out.

I really hope they bring out something like that.

Yea, Mayhem. Its kind of sounding like the Gold/Silver guide..it was lame, and had nothing of the Pokedex at the end.
Nothing To See Here
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

So I have won my first ever wi-fi battle! It was against my buddy. We're both off the first gym leader so it wasn't that impressive, I just overpowered him with superior numbers and an Onix. He ran away =D