Pokemon D/P/Pt discussion

For posting threads about MMOs, console games, other virtual pet sites, gaming news and suchlike.
Silverevilchao
Human Avatar: 155477

Post by Silverevilchao »

Joey wrote:What I wanted to do this gen was train as many of the new pokes as I could, since my other first run games have ended up with parties with half being old gen pokes, and that's kind of sad. This is giving me trouble since there aren't that many new pokes in comparison to the old. Bah.

I need a metal coat D: But for now I'm gonna take some nyquil and zonk out after picking my berries.
Eh, it SHOULD be noted that the Sinnoh dex does NOT include all of the new Poke'mon (Poke'mon missing noticibly are just about all of the new evos for the old Poke'mon, as well as half the legendaries), and only comes up to 150. You can get all of them once the National Dex comes out, though. :)
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

Joey definitely knows that. Joey probably knows more about Pokemon than anyone here. ^_~ What she means is probably the same problem I'm running into--it's hard to get a team composed only of new-to-D/P Pokemon and still have it be a team you want. I always have a fire type in my party, but I was kind of at a loss for what fire to get, so I've got a Ponyta. My team won't be made of all-new Pokemon because of that.
Image Image
Anubimon

Post by Anubimon »

I have that same problem too. I want a team of mostly new Pokemon, or at least Sinnoh Pokemon... But so many of them simply aren't that appealing to me. And even Empoleon may find himself axed in favor of my beloved Starmie... I try not to have multiples of the same type in my party. Heck, part of me wants to ditch my starter (Infernape) in favor of one of the older fire starters because he's just not that great... And I always keep my starter forever.
Of course, I'd like to have a team that's somewhat competitive too, so I can actually do the Battle Tower stuff.
The balls of evil are never safe from the steel-toed boot of JUSTICE!!!
Ensign Edison

Post by Ensign Edison »

Just jumping in here as another player...my team right now is Luxray, Monferno, Noctowl, Misdreavus, Roselia and Barboach, so as you can see, half old/new. I'm working on my seventh badge.

Curious how everyone else feels about the integration of the touch screen. I love it in battling, but it seems like it could be used much more -- you can't even move your pokemon around with it.
--Craxodile on Subetax--
--Many thanks to Twofold Black for the icon
Kari

Post by Kari »

Ensign Edison wrote:Curious how everyone else feels about the integration of the touch screen. I love it in battling, but it seems like it could be used much more -- you can't even move your pokemon around with it.
Oh God yes. I wish you could use the stylus on the menus so much more. I don't like selecting an item to use with the touch screen, then having to use my controller buttons to use it on someone. But having it in battle is nice.

Other complaints...the translation is awkward in parts, like "The foe's Piplup's attack missed" or something like that. Also don't like when you kill someone, and the text autoscrolls past the "Trainer is sending out *pokemon*" box, and I miss seeing what's next.

But past that, I'm really enjoying the game. I just got past Cycling Road, and my team is Monferno, Luxio, Budew, Buizel, Abra, and Bidoof the HM Whore. So mostly new, with one old. I'd use Bronzor for my psychic but he's sloooooow.
derp
Mayhem
Human Avatar: 168272

Post by Mayhem »

Ensign Edison wrote:Curious how everyone else feels about the integration of the touch screen. I love it in battling, but it seems like it could be used much more -- you can't even move your pokemon around with it.
I like it just the way it is - not too little, not too much. Perfect for fingernail players like me who aren't worried about precision.

Now I wish the whole typing-names-into-Pal-Pad were laid out like a keyboard, ala Animal Crossing style. That bothers me more than it really should. :/
Varicolored on Subeta
ImageImageImageImageImage
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

I do like what they do have for it (Badge shining! Love!), though there are irksome things. It would be cool if you could do more things with it, but I forgive them since this is the trial DS game and they can do better when they remake G/S/C.

As for general irksome things, why is the revive in with status healers? I know it makes sense but it would be more practical in with the HP/PP restorers. And the auto scrolling text that Kari mentioned before is driving me insane. Mainly because I space out at the end of battles and don't get to see what the trainer said. I like reading what they say in the throes of defeat and I keep missing it!
Joey definitely knows that. Joey probably knows more about Pokemon than anyone here. ^_~ What she means is probably the same problem I'm running into--it's hard to get a team composed only of new-to-D/P Pokemon and still have it be a team you want. I always have a fire type in my party, but I was kind of at a loss for what fire to get, so I've got a Ponyta. My team won't be made of all-new Pokemon because of that.
So I went looking, which I was trying to avoid since I wanted the new game to be a new experience and all that, and apparently there aren't any new fire types anyway, apart from the starter and the new Magmar evo. So now I'm sad.
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

Kari wrote:Other complaints...the translation is awkward in parts, like "The foe's Piplup's attack missed" or something like that. Also don't like when you kill someone, and the text autoscrolls past the "Trainer is sending out *pokemon*" box, and I miss seeing what's next.
At least they say "(your name) blacked out!" in this game when you lose.

In the previous games, they say "(your name) whited out!". Seriously, WTF?!
Anubimon

Post by Anubimon »

Joey wrote:So I went looking, which I was trying to avoid since I wanted the new game to be a new experience and all that, and apparently there aren't any new fire types anyway, apart from the starter and the new Magmar evo. So now I'm sad.
There's also a Fire/Steel legendary thing... It's quite ugly though. >>
Poor fire. Always so shafted.
Joey
Secret Ninja Mod
Human Avatar: 166931

Post by Joey »

True, but I don't tend to train legendaries that often so I kind of forgot about it.

Kari: I think in the original games if you lost you blacked out. I'm not too sure on which ones though, since I don't lose often ;)
nanabobo567

Post by nanabobo567 »

Yeah, in the originals it said Blacked out. I figured they changed it because they still didn't have the technology to "black" you out, so you "whited" out instead. Then they changed it again in these ones.
So, yeah. Don't go to Victory Road when your best Pokémon is a level 55 Chatot. Awsome Pokémon, but not the best in a place ruled by Rock types...
Seerow wrote:Aww Nana, I didn't think you meant you were literally dead last night :(
Silverevilchao

Post by Silverevilchao »

nanabobo567 wrote:Yeah, in the originals it said Blacked out. I figured they changed it because they still didn't have the technology to "black" you out, so you "whited" out instead. Then they changed it again in these ones.
So, yeah. Don't go to Victory Road when your best Pokémon is a level 55 Chatot. Awsome Pokémon, but not the best in a place ruled by Rock types...
I figured that they made it "whited out" so that they wouldn't attract the wrath of angry parents.

Kinda like how they say "(Poke'mon name) fainted!" instead of "(Poke'mon name) was Knocked Out!" (though they actually say "Knocked Out" in the card game).
Anubimon

Post by Anubimon »

I ran into my first ever shiny Pokemon today. It was a Medicham. =OOO I even managed to catch it, I was so afraid of killing it by accident.
But why did it have to be a MEDICHAM?
Armi

Post by Armi »

Wow, you guys are bursting with D/P chatting. I got pearl the day it came out. *plays with new stylus*

Many of my college friends got the game and we're abusing the wifi. Going to have a massive capture the flag party once we get how teams will be set up.

Congrats on the shiny, Anubimon. Medi is great for breeding though. I haven't seen a shiny since leaf green...
I swear if I see a shiny Bidoof...I'll fricken kill it! I've never hated a pokemon, but this rat crossed the line with it's face. Also too common.
Least their evolved form is great for attack EV training.

Oh yeah my team is:
Goldduck
Sneasel
Toxicroak
Purugly
Crobat
Monferno

Breeding my whole team so I'm pretty low leveled right now, though my original team is 35+'ish.
I feel like I'm the only person not using Shinx's line.

Oh yeah, anyone know the earliest you can get the razor claw? I really want my Sneasel to evolve, but I'm not past the 7th gym yet.

EDIT: EV training is annoying. -.-
ImageImage
"Enta, my castle fell again...fix it, kay?" - Laharl
Jessi
Human Avatar: 155904

Post by Jessi »

Joey wrote: As for general irksome things, why is the revive in with status healers? I know it makes sense but it would be more practical in with the HP/PP restorers.
Oh, that's been bothering me too. I keep going to revive my pokemon and can't find the damn things.

My only issue with the text is I seem to be doing this a LOT more than in other games: After it says "So-and-so is about to use Pokemon-name-here, will you switch Pokemon?" - I keep MISSING that. Suddenly I'll just see 'stay here' or 'switch out'. I've had that problem MILDLY before in other games but I seem to do it all the time here O_o

Really, other than that, my only final complaint is that double battles take -forever- in this game. Especially when you were fighting in the woods with that chick and her chansey. I wanted to kill something.