A little help?

Neopets topics not covered by the other forums go here.
Symmie

A little help?

Post by Symmie »

I was pricing items in my shop when it asked me for my PIN? I never created one, so I got Neopets to e-mail it to me. The number means nothing to me at all. Is this a sign of hacking or anything? (It's not like I have anything at all worth getting... but I'm pretty dumb about this subject.)

Two other things out of the ordinary have happened- I was logged out once this week (before the PIN), and yesterday on another account my sidebar theme changed by itself.

I changed that PIN to something else, and I also deleted my cookies/history/changed e-mail/password/EVERYTHING OMG and ran a virus scan.

Am I just paranoid? ;O
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

No, I don't think you are paranoid. I'm pretty certain someone was in your account. I just don't know what kind of hacker changes the sidebar theme, if I was one I would be clearing out your account, but at least everything you have appears to be safe, right?

Check your petpets and SDB, it happened to me before and I was missing a Snowbunny and a Baby PB and then I got frozen because I didn't know what was going on. But I think you sorted everything out before it got too bad.
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

Since you changed your PIN to something you know, you might want to make password changes protected by PIN. I would be nervous, too.
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

Everything is safe at the moment, and I guess to be sure I'll go on all my sides and do the same I did on my main. How often do you guys recommend changing passwords?

Edit: There was also a PIN already set up on that side account that had the sidebar change earlier. I THINK THEY'RE JUST TRYING TO TORTURE AND WORRY ME.
Marah
Human Avatar: 506145

Post by Marah »

Still, torture and worry is better than having your accounts emptied.

*Sends some luck your way*
FaerieInGrey

Post by FaerieInGrey »

Also, change your email passwords as well. Just in case, you know?

I change mine about once a month, whenever I get in the mood. I used to rotate passwords that I had memorized, but that's bad. Now I tend to go with a word that makes sense to me with a string of numbers that I know - part of a phone number or something - mixed in.
Symmie

Post by Symmie »

I hope this got rid of them. :? I've been online all day and nothing suspicious has happened.