Mallarchy Revamp + Marsh, Nuclear

For posting new and revamped pet colours on Subeta.
Rah

Re: Mallarchy Revamp + Marsh, Nuclear

Post by Rah »

Joey wrote:Don't like it at all. The wings bother me way too much. They look painful.
I know there's still some anatomy problems with the wings, but it never bothered the artists of tweety pie and donuld duck, so its not going to bother me xD
Meh. Tweety and Donald are caricatured enough that it doesn't matter, where as this is just realistic enough to look like someone has bent the poor things wings backwards. You have to know the rules of anatomy to break them.
D'aww. I fail :(
Elfwoman99

Post by Elfwoman99 »

I really like the Field color scheme.

Compared to the previous revamp, and the original Mallarchy, it is a bit easier to visuallize the upper arm as having both segments and just being held almost strait. Does that help?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cranberry
Human Avatar: 183848

Post by Cranberry »

The colors are gorgeous, but yeah, the wings really bother me, too (and I agree that they're not cartoony enough that you should ignore anatomy rules, Rah). Poor duckies.
Rah

Post by Rah »

ImageImage

I don't get why my wings are so wrong, actually. They look fine to me?
Seerow
Human Avatar: 155383

Post by Seerow »

They are missing the other bone the wing, the one that leads down towards the tip. In the Subeta version, its just a feather, but in the picture you posted, you can tell its an actual bone.
Click.
See how the wing bends, then there is another bone? The Mallarchy lacks that last arm bone, making it seem awkward .

That asides, I really really love the revamp and the new expression. And you changed the tail feather! That was my biggest complaint about the old one hehe. Nice job Rah, I kinda want one now.
Wanna donate towards my drink gallery, the Golden Goblet.
Rah

Post by Rah »

Ooh, I think I see! I tried making that last bit a bit longer, but I guess I didn't make it long enough :) I don't think its anything huge for me to worry about though, the wing still has the bend (where the hornspike is) So the joints are all there, just the bone length of a real duck is missing. I can deal with that xD
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

Oh this is MUCH better than the original revamp! There's still a hint of the "feather horns," and Rah obviously took a lot of our (and perhaps other people's) critiques into consideration. GOOD JOB! I think it looks really great! I'm sorry for a few people who LIKED the original one, though, and now their Mallarchies have a really different look. But at least they have retained a bit of that cheery expression that I think is rightfully inherent in the Mallarchies.
Discman

Post by Discman »

I don't really like the new Mallarchy, but you guys are nitpicking its anatomical structure a bit too much. I mean, it's a cartoon duck-monster.
Save me.
hebdenhippy
Human Avatar: 235278

Post by hebdenhippy »

Oh, I like ^^ the Sun one is especially gorgeous. I can't wait to see some of redraw colours revamped, I may have to get one, nice job Rah!
shaelyn76
Human Avatar: 185309

Post by shaelyn76 »

Rah, you never cease to amaze me. You took loads of (sometimes very harsh) crits into consideration and turned the Mallarchy into what is now a rather pretty pet. The color schemes are very pretty and well coordinated and I just love how you made the final version a bit happier and the slight horns on the head made by hair are full of win. I may have to make room for a Mallarchy now if only to make Daegan a happy little boy. BTW, he loves ducks more than anything and he squeed when he saw the pictures on the computer screen of the revamp. That wasn't his reaction to the old Mallarchy, so i would say these are close enough to real life to pass.Big thumbs up from my camp on this one!
Subeta Neopets
Click my dragons?Image
Figment
Girl Anachronism

Post by Figment »

Discman wrote:I don't really like the new Mallarchy, but you guys are nitpicking its anatomical structure a bit too much. I mean, it's a cartoon duck-monster.
If you stick around, you'll find that this is simply what we do. We've got a lot of artists and a lot of members with deep knowledge of animals, as well as perhaps a higher than usual amount of attention to small details -- they're going to talk about specific small details. So long as the comments are phrased in a way that doesn't attack the artist (a standing, though largely unspoken, rule of ours), it's pretty standard and accepted in these parts.

That said, I am not bothered by the slight anatomy problem even though I did notice it immediately. My demand for anatomical realism is pretty low after years on neopets and now almost a year on subeta -- when it comes down to it, they are just cartoon animals drawn on a limited size palette; concessions and compromises must be made. I think that the new mallarchy strikes a good balance between cartoon and realism -- and really, more often than not this is how cartoony wings are drawn. I can't take the time right now to analyze other winged subeta pets, but I'm willing to bet that a lot of them have shortened or missing bones in the wings.

One thing that bothers me a little -- and would probably keep me from getting one even if I did have any desire at all to own a duck -- is the shading on the wing feathers. This is a stylistic preference on my part, not at all a problematic thing -- I just don't like that I can visibly see brushstrokes of colour on some of the feathers; combined with the outline (which seems quite prominent on the lighter-coloured areas), it makes the wings seem more like a unified and solid mass than layered feathers. Also, the shape of the second feather down on the wing closest to us bugs me, though I can't say exactly why at this point.

See! Totally picky! Overall you did a great job, Rah; it's a huge improvement over the old one. I like the dynamic pose, and the changes you made on the face and head positioning are really nice. It looks sweet, but not saccharine. Also, some of your colour schemes are lovely -- I can safely say that this is one of, if not the, only sun pets that doesn't make me cringe away from my computer!
Alecko
Human Avatar: 267595

Post by Alecko »

Wow. I liked Mallarchy's already but this revamp just makes them look amazing. Might even beat the Fester as my favourite Pet on the site. I'm just looking at their page on the main site and am currently re-thinking my plan to turn mine Spectrum. Favourite colours are the cream (love the blue wing/tail tips), field and dawn.

I didn't notice until reading this thread about the wings though I do now. I can see why it might bother people but it's not really something that's bugging me. To be honest, it just looks flightless to me. If it was posed flying then maybe, but as it is it's just waddling so I can live with it. :P Favourite features of it are the way the tail and wing feathers are coloured in each version and the texture of the feathers on the head and neck.
yvonne_l_d

Post by yvonne_l_d »

Subeta has so many pretty redraws, but it's so often the simple colours that stand out as having the most character to me. I love the marsh mallarchy. It looks really like it has strong character.

The wings do seem to have all the segments, as far as I can see. The "thumb" bone doesn't stick out in ducks, of course, but the rest of it looks accurate to me.
If you're ever in doubt, throw a pepper in the air. If it fails to come down, you have gone mad, so don't trust in anything.
- Gregory Maguire, "Mirror, Mirror"
-----------------------------
On Neopets: yvonne_l_d
On Subeta: myshadowandme
zebru
Human Avatar: 156237

Post by zebru »

Rah did a fine job with returning the mallarchy personality to it because its expression annoys me again just like the old one's did. I dislike birds in general (with exception of the owls, seagulls, penguins and very few other bird families), geese in particular annoy me and considering this little guy's personality reminds me of a goose (even if it's body is duck-ish) my dislike is right there with it. It looks like an arrogant, ever complaining grandpa all over again (even more so) - which is great for those who were appealed by the expression of the original pet and owned one.

I love how every comment on the first version was taken into account though, right down to white claws and head horns. Not to mention the care that went into making each colour vibrant and beautiful.
Image Image
Snazzy reborn meepit by NyauNyau neopets * subeta
Xelio

Post by Xelio »

Love the new expression. It has a very endearing charm to it. Overall I think the head is a much better shape and I appreciate seeing the feather 'horns' added back on. My only nitpick is the hooks on the wings. I think the way bones go and such, the spikes would do better pointing in the other direction. (They're white now though, huzzah!) I'm weird enough it bugs me enough to not really want one, (besides having no use for a duck pet personally) but most people I'm sure won't notice/care. Overall, great work in my opinion, for what its worth.
Thanks Tiel for the lovely set!
Subeta - Neopets