8-Bit and Gold Quiggles

For discussion of new pet colours- speculation and discussion of colours in general should be placed in New Features or Misc.
_neo_kami_91

8-Bit and Gold Quiggles

Post by _neo_kami_91 »

Quiggle Day is here...

Can someone link the pictures, please, as I am deeply confuzzled by the image hosting stuff. :shock:
Kantark

Re: 8-Bit and Gold Quiggles

Post by Kantark »

Image Image

Done! I just get the image URLs from the Rainbow Pool master list (assuming TNT have updated it - sometimes it takes them a couple of days.)

Gold is very shiny and the white highlights help to make it look a bit less buttery than usual. Nice.

The Quiggle suits 8-bit well being quite a simple design of pet.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Fjorab_Teke
Human Avatar: 271433

Post by Fjorab_Teke »

I think what makes the Gold Quiggle look more like gold and less like butter is the light AND DARK with a range of yellows in-between.

8-Bit reminds me of "monkeys in a barrel" or the little plastic dudes in a game called Hang on Harvey.
Jazzy
Devil's Advocate

Post by Jazzy »

I've added these to the front page properly now :) That's what I get for not proofreading correctly...
Color Wheel

Post by Color Wheel »

8-bit: I never feel qualified enough to talk about 8-bit pets (not to mention I don't care much for the color itself), but I do like the pose on this one (odd as it may be), and it does look suitably pixelated.

Gold: Like Kantark said, it looks less buttery than usual due to the white highlights and darker values. The shading does well to show off the body shape and it does look very reflective. The highlight on the chest is a bit big/needs more values around it, but that's a minor complaint. One of my favorite gold pets so far.
Darigan

Post by Darigan »

Does the 8-bit Quiggle have uneven shoulders?
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

It looks that way Darigan. They've put the shoulders in the same position they appear on a standard Quiggle, but the standard Quiggle is angled whereas the 8-bit looks flat-on to the viewer. Having said that, if its right shoulder was positioned down to match its left then its hand would be resting on its knee and might've looked more awkward. I like it - it's kind of authentic to have to compromise on sprite design when working with a limited number of 'pixels'.
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Darigan

Post by Darigan »

Kantark wrote:it's kind of authentic to have to compromise on sprite design when working with a limited number of 'pixels'.
Good point.