New Site Feature: News and Commentary

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
Huggles
Feral Koala

New Site Feature: News and Commentary

Post by Huggles »

Split from the original update topic into a tasty bite-sized morsel for your viewing please.

Short Version:

—Would you like to have new color commentary back?
—Would you like to introduce commentary for significant Neopets events like: wars, plots, and major changes to how the site works?
—How many people should do the commentary?
—Who should write the commentary? Should we have an open call and vote on who we like best?
—Do you like my hat?
Joeno wrote:Third, news. As much as anything else, Sam's original blog entries on Neocolours were one of the things that kept it a site worth visiting to me, as it brought a certain attitude to the site that (in my opinion) is still present in our forums and what sets it apart: the critical eye to Neopets developments, a more 'mature' way of reporting things and the special feel that legal letters in large purple Comic Sans brings to a site.

I've been doing a few bits of work on this, but before I continue, I'd like to hear the vox populi on this topic.
The first point: What should be added as news items? New colours and revamps are obvious, with the opinions of those posting and/or some comments from the forums. I can see the colour predictions for pet days being possible as well, another popular thing from days past. But would we want more? I'd like to use it for major site announcements as well, which shouldn't be a problem either. But what more? I personally don't see the point in announcing every caption contest image, site spotlight winner, or new item, but one or two posts covering how a major plot plays out, or about other major events on Neopets would not seem problematic to me either. Of course, the question remains where to draw the line. Opinions are welcome.

Next, who will get to post? One of the main things when developing stuff for NC is that I want to keep it low maintenance, especially for myself, and keep it possible for others to maintain it if I wouldn't have the time. This would go for News as well - it will certainly be possible for others to write updates. First of all, how will these people be determined? Preferably, I'd like some people with some good writing skills, who can entertain people while making their point. Any suggestions on how to decide it? Perhaps something similar to WW can be done - those interested write an item on a new colour, the pieces are posted without names added to it, and then we use whatever system to decide who would be it. Or you could trust my judgement. Or we could use any other reasonable suggestion.

Second, what should be done with individual posts? Something like first come first serve, with the first to post getting to give his opinion on the whatever, or possibly just with people discussing who gets to write. Or it would be possible to have people edit news items to add their opinions, but an additional amount of trust would be required there from people being able to post news. Then again, comments would be welcome as well.

And coming to comments: I could write my own system for it. It'd be somewhat limited. I'd have to do some work on it. It would take time. I have a better solution - it would probably be possible to automatically generate new forum topics for each news item, so the handling of comments can be handled much easier. It would, however, mean that I'd have to actually start writing to the forum database, as well as requiring a new forum to be created. I'm not sure how much of a problem people would consider it to be.
Last edited by Huggles on 10 Jan 2007 12:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

I would like to have the colour commentary back, I don't think I was around for it when it used to be a feature and it sounds pretty cool. Plus it fits right in with what the site is all about, heh.

I think a plot commentary thing could be quite useful, sometimes a sticky can become rather confused.

I think quite a few people really, there are a lot of good writers and funny makers around ^_^ I have no idea what the limit should be.

Sounds good.

Yes, it's very sexy.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Colour commentary yes. I always liked Sam's.

Really, a lot of other places to plots more than sufficiently. Although if we want a monopoly then sure why the hell not (:

1 person.

Me.

It clashes with your belt.
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Er, Cheese, I think you'll find you have to say yes to the last one (but note, it won't get you an avatar or a box of leftover food 'cause we're budgeting at the moment).

I'm not endorsing anything else apart from the obligatory Yes, I do like your hat (is it new?) in case I have to implement any of it or hold a vote.
Huggles
Feral Koala

Post by Huggles »

—Should we have Jazzy host a vote to see if Jazzy should host the vote for commentary writers?

Hee.
Kantark

Post by Kantark »

1. Yes, Sam's narrative is what got me interested in NC as a site in the first place.

2. No - as Cheese says, this sort of commentary is a pretty crowded marketplace. I think we should stick to what we're known for and focus on that.

3. Hmm... either a small group, or the comments could be picked from the associated forum thread comments, possibly?

4. Probably follows on from my answer to (3).

5. Yes, it's very stylish :P
Neopets: sparkygoesforth, decommissioned, nightfall, LiveJournal:kantark, Last.FM:Kantark
Enriana
Human Avatar: 155464

Post by Enriana »

1. Yes. It was an endless source of glee when Sam did it, and I'm all for endless sources of glee.

2. Yes. I think this would be a Good Idea, and it should be fairly easy to distinguish what's worthy of commentary-ing and what isn't. NCers have a certain style that no one else has, and we should share the wealth. I don't think this kind of commentary should be our focus, though, and doesn't need to be very long or very everywhere.

3. As we have so many people who can make funny on NC, I'm thinking three or so, perhaps one or two more? This would get a little unnecessary if all of them wrote paragraphs and paragraphs about every colour, but maybe they could work together and be like "hey, person C, you have anything really funny to mention about colour X?". Or. Or. Something. I'm not sure I am the best person to rely on for being sensible about this, because I'm very good at making things overly complicated.

4. I think an open call sounds very good. Omitting names, as suggested, is also a good idea - it was pointed out that some people have very obvious styles, and that's true, but I still prefer leaving names out of it. Also, I think the number of people that we get to do it could be related to how close the decision is when we vote.

5. Very much, it brings out the colour in your eyes.
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Oh I wasn't saying the hat was the mistake, it's very stylish and pulls the whole look together, just that the belt is a complete disaster. Seriously reconsider the belt.
oogabooga

Post by oogabooga »

Definitely new color commentary.

I would prefer not to have the other updates, but if others want them they won't bother me much. It just seems to me that we're mainly a color site, and that's what we do best, and other sites have the rest covered.

For how many - maybe about 5 people? I don't know. Maybe just do the poll and pick the top few. I don't really expect that all of them will write about every color, though probably they'd all want to do the major redraws - which are the ones that need more commentary anyway.

I'd be okay with an open call, but I think we might consider restricting it to people who have been members for, say, a month. Maybe that's unfair of me but I'd certainly prefer that they be done by established members - and people who we know will stick around.

Your hat is fabulous.