'Matching' Idea

Any problems or suggestions regarding the forums or scripts, post them here.
adi_gallia

'Matching' Idea

Post by adi_gallia »

I would like to suggest that NeoColours or Petpet Central make a 'matching' suggestion area like rainbow pool had http://www.rainbowpool.net/matching.php I found that this was very useful, but it is no longer updated as the website is down.

I feel this would get rid of a lot of 'spam' that appears on the petpet forums. It also makes things clearer and versatile.
daisybell

Post by daisybell »

It might be a nice idea, but it's also a lot of work. And I think right now Neocolours' priority is to get the front page up and working again- petpet matching would be a very low priority. As for Petpet Central, well, that's Trick's business and I can't speak for her.

If you use the forum search you can find out if other people have already asked, and that doesn't require anyone to have gone through all the petpets and decided which ones match and which don't- and a lot of that is personal taste, too.

I think Madge did have some sort of petpet matching thing but I've no idea of the address or if it's even still around, and it was in its infancy when I last saw it.

If it's really important to you, you could get together with some other people and use your Neopets' petpages to host one set of species matches each, and link to each other.
Neopets wishlists: here
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I know, I was just thinking it would be a nice addition once it's set up, I mean NeoColours has a pet rating feature, which I think is slightly less important than this. I think it's quite a useful thing. The way JellyNeo did it was the users suggesting petpets that match them and they'd have to be accepted by someone like a moderator before it appeared on the page. I found it quite fun. I think it would cut down on posts, which the moderators seem to like.

Also the community doesn't like when you have about over five of your own boards. Some matchings I might be wondering about out of curiousity and it wouldn't be worth making a board over, but what if there isn't a board on the forum already?
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

That's not because we don't want people posting petpet matches, it's because we don't want people spamming. Multiple boards asking the same questions are spam. I would also hazard a guess that in every single case in which you were asking for a match, there was indeed already a match posted.

Currently, we do not have a rating feature, so that's a moot point.

I would also like to direct you to my post here:
viewtopic.php?p=72817#72817
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

what about that post? :?
Trick
Mad Cavy Lady

Post by Trick »

It isn't a priority for PPC anymore, which was originally intended as a database site and as such does what it says it will. Improvements to the site as it is are top priority for PPC, but unfortunately the site isn't near the top of my priorities at the moment.

In the future it's more than likely PPC will have a matching section as it was an original plan of the site, but I couldn't say when it will happen.
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen
Human Avatar: 89833

Post by AngharadTy »

adi_gallia wrote:what about that post? :?
She'd like you to answer the question she asked.

If you're wondering about a pet/petpet matching out of curiosity, then it doesn't exactly hurt you that there's no board and you can't make one, does it? Idle curiosity leads nowhere.
Image Image
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

I don't think the rules state that we have to share names, ages and neopets users otherwise you could add that to your signup form :D

but if you must know it's Aaron, ____ and adi_gallia

i edited out my age
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

First, you answered in the wrong place, but luckily Jazzy is smart enough to figure it out.

Second, you don't have to state your name, age, and account name on signup. However, in <i>your</i> case, you have to prove that you are not checkers. We don't allow people to have multiple aliases here. The burden of proof is on you.
Image Image
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

and how would an account name or name prove we are different people?
dandelions
Lily Was Here

Post by dandelions »

Checking your name matches the one on your email and neopets account is a fairly straightforward way to check whether a person is real or not. Your email address begins with aaron, your name is aaron and your account says aaron, so you are probably called Aaron. However, in checkers' and magiic's case, both of the accounts are registered to an email which begins with Liam, and you tend not to get brothers both called Liam. See?
adi_gallia

Post by adi_gallia »

George Foremans children are all called George :wink:

Just thought I'd share that with you :oops:
AngharadTy
Zombie Queen

Post by AngharadTy »

Yes, but he is an exception (a crazy one) and not the rule.
Image Image
Madge

Post by Madge »

Yep, several years ago now I made a petpet matching database but at the end of the day because I wasn't at the time any good with code (I still am not!), it was way too hard to maintain it.

http://petpets.dontexist.com/

is the URL, remember it's three years old now so it probably won't contain new species, colours, and petpets. The prices on the website are also more than likely completely inaccurate. It may however be a good starting point for people.

I don't have plans to resurrect it because life is so busy for a university student :). If someone wants to use the matches on the site as part of a neocolours matching site or whathaveyou they're more than welcome.